Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

CBS/NBC to air Patriots (possible) record-breaking game

It wasn't going to effect me since I have NFL network (Verizon) but for those of you who don't ... you won't get left out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071226/...iots_giants_tv

NEW YORK - After weeks of insisting they wouldn't cave in, NFL officials did just that Wednesday. Now all of America can see the Patriots' shot at history.

Saturday night's game between New England and the New York Giants on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs, will be simulcast on CBS and NBC.
    The Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement after the league announced it was reversing course. "What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: CBS/NBC to air Patriots (possible) record-breaking game

Glad the NFL pulled its head out of its .....

They need to let Time Warner and other providers offer the channel as a premium channel or as part of an upper tier, instead of demanding it be part of the basic cable lineup.

Should be interesting to see the ratings, as the game will be on three channels. Could this be the first time since the original Super Bowl that a game was similcast on 2 major TV networks at the same time?

And how much extra money is the NFL getting in revenue? As I presume they are going to share in the extra ad revenue from CBS and NBC.....

OK, found the info in the NY Times article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/sp...648&ei=5087%0A

NBC and CBS will show the NFL Network’s production of the game, with the announcers Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth, and will not pay an extra rights fee. They will each get to sell 18 30-second commercial units.
    So the networks get about 3 minutes per hour to make their profit, and then the NFL gets the rest of the spots, which I presume will no be going for a premium fee. So all three parties makes extra bucks (NBC and CBS are getting the game for "free", no extra rights fee, and I presume just an show opening of 30 seconds or a minute to explain why the logos will say the "NFL Network" and that the normal NBC/CBS announcers will not be calling the game.

But glad to see the "fans" will get to see the game
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

I'm sure it will get bigger ratings than what was going to be on CBS/NBC anyway. I just don't get why it needs to be on 2 networks.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'm sure it will get bigger ratings than what was going to be on CBS/NBC anyway. I just don't get why it needs to be on 2 networks.
    Since they are not "charging" for the broadcast, and it is a very slow TV weekend, I am a bit surprised that FOX and ESPN didn't also get the same offer. And they might have. ESPN has the Alamo Bowl scheduled at the same time, and College Basketball games live on ESPN2, Fox has their normal Cops/America's Most Wanted programming, and maybe they want to get the "counter programming". (ABC has a bunch of reruns from other nights of the week). But I think to not "piss off" one of the major channels, they offered it to all, to cover their butt. And the more viewership the NFL gets, the more they can charge for the other commercials being broadcast. (I presume NBC and CBS will get the same spaces that the NFL Network usually offers the local cable channels).

• Circle of Ancients

Not sure if it would have been offered to ABC though as they don't have a current NFL contract. Only ESPN does.

What would have been great though if the WB ... oh, sorry, CW had gotten it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Not sure if it would have been offered to ABC though as they don't have a current NFL contract. Only ESPN does.

What would have been great though if the WB ... oh, sorry, CW had gotten it.
    I seriously doubt that ABC was offered the game, just NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN. I mentioned ABC due to the fact that FOX thought it might do better by staying with its normal Saturday Night schedule and "counter program".

Heck, I don't even think the "CW" or "My Network TV" even offer network programming on Saturday nights, I think it is left for the local affiliate to come up with the programming they show (and many of them have Sports contracts, so they have live games, or need to show programming that was pre-empted during the week due to a sports event).

ESPN had prior comments, FOX decided that 3 networks (NBC, CBS and NFL Network) were enough, that is my guess.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Pretty wise guess there my friend.

I'm glad all of you who don't have NFL network will be able to watch the game. I'll watch it on NFL network just because I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    NBC and CBS will show the NFL Network’s production of the game, with the announcers Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth, and will not pay an extra rights fee. They will each get to sell 18 30-second commercial units.
    gah - why keep those two? They prob have to be the WORST announcers I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. I wonder if Bryant Gumble will keep saying "for what appears to be a first down" when the play goes like 5 yards past the first down line.....

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    gah - why keep those two? They prob have to be the WORST announcers I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. I wonder if Bryant Gumble will keep saying "for what appears to be a first down" when the play goes like 5 yards past the first down line.....
    It's all that time doing regular news saying things like "The alleged killer - OJ Simpson" or "The alleged victim".

It's a hard habit to break. Give the guy a chance.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Glad the NFL pulled its head out of its .....

They need to let Time Warner and other providers offer the channel as a premium channel or as part of an upper tier, instead of demanding it be part of the basic cable lineup.

Should be interesting to see the ratings, as the game will be on three channels. Could this be the first time since the original Super Bowl that a game was similcast on 2 major TV networks at the same time?
    The first Super Bowl, which wasn't even called the Super Bowl, was broadcast on CBS and NBC but I don't think you could call it a "simulcast" because I believe each network used different announcers. A fine point, yes.

Off topic: I do believe the word "simulcast" was another added to the lexicon by the late,great Chick Hearn...who would say, back in the days well before every Laker game was on TV - "it's a simulcast, ladies and gentlemen - radio and television simultaneously."

And all this fuss over a game that many Giants starters will likely sit out after the first quarter, because they'll have more interest in resting for the playoffs than in thwarting the Patriots shot at history.

In the New York and Boston markets, the game will potentially be available on four different channels.

That's a lot of Gumbel. And Greg's a lot better than his brother at calling football games.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• missing the DisneyGallery

It's all that time doing regular news saying things like "The alleged killer - OJ Simpson" or "The alleged victim".

It's a hard habit to break. Give the guy a chance.
    "Of course I'm not inside the helmet, it didnt hurt me"
    "with that.....with that....with that..."

Is this long enough of a chance to give him. He's terrible.

When attractions were original

• Circle of Ancients

Looks like the Giants feel they have something to prove.

I'm still not sure the Patriots will win the Super Bowl, but if they lose today, I think they have a better chance to win it all since they won't have that "Undefeated Pressure" on them.

They can say it's not getting to them, but the way they have played the last few weeks shows that it is.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Gee, great game so far, but they need to get some new cameramen, I just saw a bunch of blurry shots.

So far, Bryant Gumbel has been OK, some minor slip ups, Cris Collingsworth has been the better of the two announcers.

Alas, NYG have to punt...

• Circle of Ancients

I dunno, Collinsworth seems to be slipping up here more toward the end.

IMO, the NFLNetwork had a HUGE opportunity to show everybody what they are missing not having the network.

So far, if I didn't already have it, I wouldn't be clamoring to get it. It just seems like a huge commercial as to why the NFLNetwork is so cool. And it is, don't get me wrong, but they need to get some better announcers and as Dave said, better cameramen.

I know a few MiceChatter's that may be able to do a better job.

•   

I know a few MiceChatter's that may be able to do a better job.
    Bring it on!

Actually, I meant to comment on the result of the game, but my ego got the best of me.

Anyways, congrats to the Pats for going 16-0. I predict the Chargers will win their Wild Card game, then go to Indy. They will beat the Colts, since they seem to always have their number, and then head to the Great White North for the AFC Championship. They will exact revenge on the Pats for the embarassing loss last year and play the Packers in the Super Bowl.

Hey, everybody gets to have an opinion, that's just mine.

Oh, and to at least make some attempt to make this relevant to the OP, I want my NFL network! Stupid Time Warner...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast