Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Senior Minion

NFL in Los Angeles

Could the local residents explain to me why there is not an NFL team (or two) in Los Angeles? For the residents that are fans, do you still follow the NFL closely?

It is so hard to believe that the second largest market could be without a team for so long.
    Last edited by ThomasJefferson; 12-29-2007 at 08:27 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Re: NFL in Los Angeles

Is there a reason you posted this in the Debate Lounge as opposed to, I don't know, the Sports Zone?
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I grew up in LA and I will give it my best shot.

As far as pro football goes the historical venue in LA is the Los Angeles Coliseum. It can easy seat 90,000 people. The Coliseum is run by the Coliseum Commission, a hybrid organization involving the joint owners of the Coliseum to wit The State of California, Los Angeles County,and the City of Los Angeles. Each government body appoints a number of representatives to the Commission.

Because of the seating capacity of the Coliseum the rules regarding local television coverage of NFL games are a bit of problem. Since it is hard for any pro team to sell 90k+ seats to a game the local games were hardly ever seen on television in the local market. This helped dampen local enthusiasm for the team. So the local team made less money and would go looking for a better deal somewhere else.

Getting a team back to LA is also a bit of a problem, most local politicians have historically favored putting any new team into the Coliseum. Many alternative sites have been looked at but the local pols generally speaking have only offered good deals if the team was willing to accept the Coliseum as the team site.

The problem with the Coliseum is that it is over 70 years old and desperately in need of repairs and upgrades. Currently the USC trojans play there and the estimate to bring the place up to snuff even for collage football is $100M. No one really knows how much would be required to meet the needs of a pro team, so estimates are as high as $300M. Compounding the problem is that the Coliseum is an historic site with various legal protections as far as preservation goes. Also because of the unwieldy structure of the Coliseum Commission getting anything done is a general pain in the ***.

The final problem for getting a pro football team into LA is that not many people have missed having a local team for the last 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Circle of Ancients

mousechild pretty much summed it up for me.

The law-makers in LA want a football team, but they don't want to give any public money to build a stadium/bring a team to LA. They also keep insisting that they play in the Coliseum.

If they hadn't been so insistent, there would be no Houston Texans but the LA Quakes or some stupid thing.

Of course, the fact that having a Super Bowl in your city brings in around $200 million to the local economy seems to have escaped the law-makers in their planning.

Personally, I don't miss the NFL in LA. I never rooted for the Lams ... er Rams (who were nowhere near LA anyway) or the Traitors ... er ... Raiders.

My team is up-north (the 49ers) and they will always be my team no matter what. Most people in SoCal have either the Raiders or some other team. Lots of Cowboys, Packers, Charger fans.

If you put a team in the LA area, you run the risk of more fans cheering for other teams than the local team. This was a common occurence when teams such as the Red Sox or Yankees would visit Anaheim. Not so prevelent anymore since the Angels have a bigger fan base than they used to, but same thing would probably happen.

Most people probably don't even remember what it's like to have a team in LA. Traffic on Sunday's/Monday's are bad enough already. We don't need yet another traffic jam.

I think the best hope for getting a team in LA is an earthquake, centered directly beneath the coliseum that just destroys that and nothing else. Then they can build a new stadium for the Trojans/NFL.

Aside from that happening, I wouldn't count on seeing the NFL in LA anytime soon.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 12-29-2007 at 09:31 PM.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    Is there a reason you posted this in the Debate Lounge as opposed to, I don't know, the Sports Zone?
    Yes, I wanted to.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    mousechild pretty much summed it up for me.

The law-makers in LA want a football team, but they don't want to give any public money to build a stadium/bring a team to LA. They also keep insisting that they play in the Coliseum.

If they hadn't been so insistent, there would be no Houston Texans but the LA Quakes or some stupid thing.

Of course, the fact that having a Super Bowl in your city brings in around $200 million to the local economy seems to have escaped the law-makers in their planning.

Personally, I don't miss the NFL in LA. I never rooted for the Lams ... er Rams (who were nowhere near LA anyway) or the Traitors ... er ... Raiders.

My team is up-north (the 49ers) and they will always be my team no matter what. Most people in SoCal have either the Raiders or some other team. Lots of Cowboys, Packers, Charger fans.

If you put a team in the LA area, you run the risk of more fans cheering for other teams than the local team. This was a common occurence when teams such as the Red Sox or Yankees would visit Anaheim. Not so prevelent anymore since the Angels have a bigger fan base than they used to, but same thing would probably happen.

Most people probably don't even remember what it's like to have a team in LA. Traffic on Sunday's/Monday's are bad enough already. We don't need yet another traffic jam.

I think the best hope for getting a team in LA is an earthquake, centered directly beneath the coliseum that just destroys that and nothing else. Then they can build a new stadium for the Trojans/NFL.

Aside from that happening, I wouldn't count on seeing the NFL in LA anytime soon.
    It really is an excellent product. I would have thought there would be more local interest, strange. Thanks for the viewpoints guys.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

I think USC is all we need and some others have UCLA too. Between the fan draw for college football, along with the issues stated above, there's also I think enough Pro Teams in LA (Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, Kings - go figure, Angels, Ducks, Galaxy, forgive me if I forgot a few teams).

Plus most fans in LA are fans of other teams (Raiders, Cowboys, etc...) where the visiting team would have more fans than the team in LA (mainly cause NFL has waited too long and fan loyalty). And building a successful team (which LA demands, with the exception of the Kings) would just take took long to build.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think it's a travesty that one of the largest cities in the country has no NFL team. I mean...when you look around...San Diego, Oakland, Tampa Bay, HOW IN THE WORLD do these cities have teams and Los Angeles has zip?

I miss the Rams. It was WRONG WRONG WRONG when they left, but since Georgia whatsherface took them away, I hate em. Hate the Raiders too. I've been a Charger fan since shortly after the Rams left, and I'll be a Charger fan until I die. LA has a city council with it's collective head up it's collective butt (millions of dollars for the dog food suit....I mean....need I say more) and the city remains disfunctional. There was a shot last year that we might have brought a team to Anaheim, but I think it fell through.

So...in short, even if they WERE to bring a team to LA or Anaheim, if it wasn't the Chargers...I couldn't care less.

Short answer: LA is stupid.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post

AMEN! LA is lame. They don't even know their own codes and laws except for which donor gave what to draft it. (I think this is why TJ posted this in the debate lounge lol)

LA City, The Coliseum Commission, NFL all lame and dumb.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think it's been pretty well summed up already, but it also needs to be said again that the general public really doesn't care if we have a team or not here. I'm a lifelong Vikings fan and will remain one even if a team showed up in LA. The LA/OC sports market is so over-saturated that it wouldn't matter if a team came here.

If for some reason a team did come here, it wouldn't be supported as well if it was a team moving here as it would if it were an expansion team. The NFL isn't going to add two more teams anytime soon most likely, so LA missed it's chance. I think most people in LA and OC would rather cheer for a team outside of this area since we already do and most likely aren't going to convert those fans to fans of the new team.

For an example, I give you the Arizona Cardinals. Before the team arrived in 1988, Phoenix was filled with Cowboys and Broncos fans. Those fans didn't become Cardinal fans just because they were there, and because of that, the Cardinals never sold out their games and often had more fans from the other team in the stands. It wasn't until almost 20 years and a new stadium later that they've begun to enjoy any level of fan support and the same thing will happen to any team in LA.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I think it's a travesty that one of the largest cities in the country has no NFL team. I mean...when you look around...San Diego, Oakland, Tampa Bay, HOW IN THE WORLD do these cities have teams and Los Angeles has zip?

I miss the Rams. It was WRONG WRONG WRONG when they left, but since Georgia whatsherface took them away, I hate em.

And cities like Jacksonville, Fla. and Buffalo, New York as well...it makes no sense. And I was a Ram fan for 28 years (well before the move to Anaheim) before Madame Ram ripped our hearts out and raped the taxpayers of Missouri at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    AMEN! LA is lame. They don't even know their own codes and laws except for which donor gave what to draft it. (I think this is why TJ posted this in the debate lounge lol)

LA City, The Coliseum Commission, NFL all lame and dumb.
    Let's see...among the franchises the Coliseum Commission has let get away...the Lakers, Kings, Rams and later the Raiders...

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I think it's been pretty well summed up already, but it also needs to be said again that the general public really doesn't care if we have a team or not here. I'm a lifelong Vikings fan and will remain one even if a team showed up in LA. The LA/OC sports market is so over-saturated that it wouldn't matter if a team came here.
    Southern California fans are basically front-runners, and with today's NFL even an expansion team can become good a lot sooner than before.

The more years that go by, the less people seem to care about it - just so lomg as they get that extra game to see on television.

As for me, I still miss having an NFL team here and think it's ridiculous also that we don't have at least one for the last 13 seasons.

I'll say this much...kudos to the people here for not just accepting any taxpayer rip-off by a league that has so much money it doesn't know what to do with it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    I think USC is all we need and some others have UCLA too. Between the fan draw for college football, along with the issues stated above, there's also I think enough Pro Teams in LA (Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, Kings - go figure, Angels, Ducks, Galaxy, forgive me if I forgot a few teams).
    I agree with you GG - We do have a lot of 'pro' teams in Los Angeles area.....and because we don't have a pro football team, we HAVE TO HAVE ONE?? I don't thinks so. I'm not much into Pro-Football. We always got into College Football anyway - there's so much more 'spirit' behind it, in my opinion. Oh and my family and I - devout USC fans.....hence the USC bold-face in your quote.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Could the local residents explain to me why there is not an NFL team (or two) in Los Angeles? For the residents that are fans, do you still follow the NFL closely?

It is so hard to believe that the second largest market could be without a team for so long.
    Take the Raiders back.....please....
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Greedy freakin' NFL team owners don't want to play here unless they get a new stadium with jumbo box seats.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Greedy freakin' NFL team owners don't want to play here unless they get a new stadium with jumbo box seats.
    With the taxpayers footing the bill, of course, as they have in so many other cities.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast