• Circle of Ancients

Georgia Frontiere, Rams owner who moved team to St. Louis, dies

I'm surprised nobody posted this yet. Wonder how many Rams fans will come back now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3203573

LOS ANGELES -- Georgia Frontiere, the St. Louis native who became a hometown hero when she brought the NFL's Rams from Los Angeles in 1995, died Friday. She was 80.
    Frontiere had been hospitalized for breast cancer for several months, the Rams said in a statement posted on their Web site.
    "Georgia Frontiere was the first lady of sports in her native St. Louis," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement that also praised her philanthropy and concern for retired NFL players.
    "Our mom was dedicated to being more than the owner of a football team," daughter Lucia Rodriguez and son Chip Rosenbloom said in the statement.
    "She loved the Rams' players, coaches, and staff. The warmth and generosity she exuded will never be forgotten."

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Re: Georgia Frontiere, Rams owner who moved team to St. Louis, dies

I hear they're moving the body to St. Louis.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I definitely felt a surge of emotion when I heard this news last week.

I certainly bear her family no ill will - and I certainly wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. I am sure that these are sad times for the families involved (she had seven husbands, don't forget) and for some football fans in St. Louis.

But this 28-year diehard Rams fan never liked the way she and John Shaw and the other bean-counters ran the team down, and left town for a sweetheart stadium deal to say the least in Missouri.

The Rams had a string of Super Bowl contenders when Carroll Rosenbloom drowned. By the time they left Anaheim, "Madame Ram" had turned them into a joke.

And after low-balling Eric Dickerson and several others in LA, when she went back home she was suddenly flush with cash for the "Greatest Show on Turf".

I have rooted for the Rams to lose every game since they left the LA area. That will not change. I have never rooted harder for a team in my life than I did for the Tennessee Titans on the night of the Rams 2000 Super Bowl win. Seeing her with the trophy made me sick to my stomach.

And I literally jumped for joy when New England pulled of the upset two years later.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Barry,

You are being too kind. Now when people read this they may dislike me even more but.....when I heard the news I started dancing. My wife thought I was crazy but here's why:

Let's not forget, this woman puposely stole a long loved franchise from Anaheim. On top of that, when the Rams finally won the Super Bowl she specifically thanked the fans of Saint Louis because she never got the same support over here. Excuse me??!! Rams always had great support over here, until she decided to stop trying to win so she'd have an excuse to pack her bags and get $30,000,000 for moving.

Strange circumstances caused the death of Mr. Rosenbloom's drowning which makes you wonder, was it an accident?

Either way, I am happy now I can root for the Rams that Georgia is dead. I just hope the ground she's buried in doesn't become so contaminated that an entire neighborhood doesn't have to become uprooted because of the toxicity.

Sorry MiceChatters, sounds rude but this is a great day for all the Rams fans that shed tears because she stole what was so important to them. Me included.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Wow - people are dropping like flies ~ Carl Karcher, Allen Melvin, Suzanne Pleshette and now Georgia Frontiere. Sad news....

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

My strongest memory of her is going to always be seeing her hold on the Super Bowl trophy and thanking St. Louis for being "the best fans in the world" while everyone in our party hurled the foulest profanities we could think of at her. I will always despise her. I wonder what happens to her now. You need a soul to enter the afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Wow - people are dropping like flies ~ Carl Karcher, Allen Melvin, Suzanne Pleshette and now Georgia Frontiere. Sad news....
    They say these things come in threes. So we had good folks Carl Karcher, Allen Melvin, Suzanne Pleshette pass on.

And we had Georgia Frontiere. Who will be the other two? Osama? Fred Phelps?
    Last edited by steamboatpete; 01-22-2008 at 08:27 AM.
    Fight On! Beat the Cougars!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    My strongest memory of her is going to always be seeing her hold on the Super Bowl trophy and thanking St. Louis for being "the best fans in the world" while everyone in our party hurled the foulest profanities we could think of at her. I will always despise her.
    As I said before, I got sick to my stomach when I heard her say that. Of course they were the best fans...of course, all Missouri folks...even those that weren't the best fans, or even any fans, lined her pockets with the stadium deal. So the least she could do was thank them after taking their money.

That said, I don't hate anyone...not even her. It takes too much energy that I'd rather use more productively. Maybe she'll get to the pearly gates and find that they've been moved somewhere else.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Well Barry,

If hating takes energy, Georgia is helping my weightloss goal immensly. lol!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    You beat me to it. Good thing I double-checked before I posted!

I believe it's possible that Ms. Frontiere almost single-handedly soured Angelenos on being the home of an NFL team (the whole Raiders drama definitely added to it, though).

As far as I'm concerned, the Rams will always be an LA team, no matter where they call home.