BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Steven Spielberg pulls out of Olympics

Spielberg pulls out of Olympics

Move marks public relations blow to China

Spielberg

By Ted Johnson
    Variety
    February 12, 2008

Steven Spielberg has decided not to participate in this summer's Beijing Olympic Games as an artistic adviser, citing China's lack of progress in resolving the humanitarian crisis in Darfur.

His move is a public relations blow to the Chinese government, which is under pressure to force the government of Sudan to resolve the crisis in Darfur.

Spielberg's worldwide profile could lead others involved in the Games to pull out and even lead sponsors to reconsider their roles in the event.

As the biggest customer for Sudan's oil, China has been the target of Darfur advocates for the better part of a year, much to the dismay of Chinese officials who have complained that the Games were being politicized.

"I find that my conscience will not allow me to continue with business as usual," Spielberg said. "At this point, my time and energy must be spent not on Olympic ceremonies but doing all I can to help bring an end to the unspeakable crimes against humanity that continue to be committed in Darfur."

Spielberg was to join a team led by Chinese director Zhang Yimou, but outside of a visit to Beijing a year ago, he had done little work on the event. He even noted in his statement that he has yet to sign a contract that the Beijing Organizing Committee sent to him a year ago.
    Full article at:
    http://www.variety.com/VR1117980808.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Steven Spielberg pulls out of Olympics

This is going to sound rotten, but any blow to China is a good thing.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And the games have been politicized since they brought them back into modern times. You can't have countries from around the planet competing without there being politics involved. Sad, but true. It would be nice it it was only about the athletes, only about the competition and the sports but that will never happen.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Hiding in the shadows

They are actually hoping his move will infulence corporate sponsore too. I understand the reasoning but many of these athletes rely on those sponsorships to get to the games. I am fine that he made his statement but I hope it doesn;t have a domino effect that could impact the athletes.

A little piece of heaven

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

China media, public angered by Spielberg

By TINI TRAN
    Associated Press Writer
    Wed Feb 20, 7:48 AM ET

BEIJING - Hollywood director Steven Spielberg's decision to quit the Beijing Olympics over the Darfur crisis is drawing condemnation by China's state-controlled media and a groundswell of criticism from the Chinese public.

Last week, the American director withdrew from his role as an artistic adviser to the opening and closing ceremonies of the Summer Games, accusing China of not doing enough to press for peace in the troubled Sudanese region.

Officially, the Chinese government has not directly criticized Spielberg by name, expressing only "regret" over his decision. But the state-run media and the public have been far less restrained.

In newspaper commentaries and lively Internet forums, they have expressed outrage, scorn and bewilderment that China's Olympics have come under international criticism from Spielberg and others.

A biting front-page editorial Wednesday in the overseas edition of the People's Daily, the Communist Party's official newspaper, blasted Spielberg for his decision.

"A certain Western director was very naive and made an unreasonable move toward the issue of the Beijing Olympics. This is perhaps because of his unique Hollywood characteristics," it said.

Over the weekend, the Guangming Daily, also published by the Communist Party, ran an editorial saying Spielberg "broke his promise to make his contribution to the Beijing Olympics and betrayed the Olympic spirit."

He "is not qualified to blame China because he knows nothing about the great efforts the Chinese government has made on Darfur" it said.

An editorial in the China Youth Daily was equally scathing.
    "This renowned film director is famous for his science fiction. But now it seems he lives in a world of science fiction and he can't distinguish a dream from reality," it said.

China is believed to have influence over Sudanese leaders because it buys two-thirds of the African country's oil exports. China also sells weapons to the Islamic government and defends it in the United Nations.

More than 200,000 people have died in Darfur in a conflict between rebels and militias backed by government forces.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080220/...vLYlM5HT5xFb8C
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006