Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Shablagoo!

The Seattle Mariners and Melonballer

Hi all,

As you may have seen in the main forum I went back to work for the Seattle Mariners as an Elevator/Escalator host. An Elevator/Escalator host mans the elevators and escalators, keeps them running and helps guests get to where they want to go. I previously worked for the Seattle Mariners in the 2001 season as an Elevator/Escalator host. There were a few familiar faces on the team.

Today was spring training for all the employees. I picked up my uniform and got a tour of the facility. It's not very different, with a few small differences. For one thing the Mariner Moose has a character greeting area, much like many Disney characters.

When we got our security badges I noticed that I had my old employee number. Nice of them to remember.

Anyways, I plan to post my experiences throughout the season here in this thread. If you have any questions, feel free to post them. I'll try to answer them as much as possible. I head back Wednesday for TEAM training which trains me to deal with intoxicated people.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Re: The Seattle Mariners and Melonballer

Can you get me King Felix's autograph?

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    Can you get me King Felix's autograph?
    Nope. We are not allowed to hassle the players. We can say hi as we pass them in the hallway or comment good game or something, but that is it.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Ah, too bad. Thats so cool you get to work for the team though. I love the Seahawks but the Mariners have always been my favorite team in any sport. I'm going to try and come up for a game this spring before I head to Disney. That way if the M's are losing as usual I can come talk Disney with you.

• Shablagoo!

So I have gone through all my training. The Mariners fed us during the training, breakfast breads and coffee for Breakfast, a box lunch for lunch. Last night I had my training for dealing with drunks. Free cookies and drinks (woohoo!). I alos got all my news about our perks and incentives. Lots of cool stuff (discounts, pay bonuses for attendance, that sort of thing). Opening day is Monday. I am looking forwards to it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

MB - the escalator guys at Angel Stadium is my favorite person who works there. I am sure the season ticket holders in Seattle love you too!

And tonight is the first preseason game. I hope Jim is working!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

I never seem to make it to more than one Mariner's game per season. I will keep my eye out for you though if I make it up there sometime this year.

A few years ago my daughter's cheer squad had fund raising at Safeco where you work the concession stands during the game, brought back memories of my own fast food days, thankfully the time went quick. Next time I will just send in a donation
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Shablagoo!

Whew. That was a long cold day. It snowed for part of the game, but they had the roof closed. Anyways the jobs was very similar to how it was in 2001. It did not take long for me to get back in the swing of things. I worked the Home Plate escalators and the "chute" which is on the first base side. it is a very long express escalator that goes between the 100 level concourse and the 300 level with no stops. I did not see much of the game, but that is normal for someone with my job. Back to work tomorrow for game 2 with the Texas Rangers.

• Shablagoo!

Well the first home stand is over and the team is off to Baltimore and Tampa Bay. They are 2 and 1 so far this season. I've had a lot of fun working and I can't help but feel this will probably be the closest I will ever come to working at Disneyland.

My bosses are great and have allowed me to leave work in time to catch the ferry. the next one is 2 and a half hours later. It has been really cold so far. Good news is that that I have not had to deal with any drunks, nor have I seen any. Alcohol Enforcement is doing their job.

I got my first high-five from the Moose yesterday. Neat moment. I was talking with a couple and their little girl in front of the elevator. When the door opened there was the Moose who quickly got down to the girl's level. She did not go for the hug, but shyly waved. He waved back of course.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Having seen the place on TV, I have to think that Safeco is about as much fun a place to watch a game as the Kingdome seemed basically a monstrosity.

I love hearing the train whistles, and seeing the various aspects that fit in with the current "faux" old-fashioned ballpark trend.

I think the Angels will have all they can handle and more with the M's, Erik Bedard and all the rest.

Although they did lose to the Orioles. That's not exactly a great vote of confidence.

Good thread, Melonballer. I'll be looking forward to your blogging...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Shablagoo!

Hey Radiobarry. Glad you found the thread. Safeco Field is a terrific ballpark. They hire terrific people (and I am not saying that just because they rehired me). They empower the employees to help the guest as much as possible. It really does remind me of things I have read about working at Disneyland. The train whistle is probably part of that. They even have a Walt quote in our handbooks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Hey Radiobarry. Glad you found the thread. Safeco Field is a terrific ballpark. They hire terrific people (and I am not saying that just because they rehired me). They empower the employees to help the guest as much as possible. It really does remind me of things I have read about working at Disneyland. The train whistle is probably part of that. They even have a Walt quote in our handbooks.
    Pardon my ignrance...who owns the M's these days? they are showing some real class in what you are telling me. And yes, I know, the Rangers flattened the Angels in the Anaheim opener tonight...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Pardon my ignrance...who owns the M's these days? they are showing some real class in what you are telling me. And yes, I know, the Rangers flattened the Angels in the Anaheim opener tonight...
    The are owned by a group of Seattle-based business men, including several Nintendo bigwigs. Majority owner is Hiroshi Yamauchi, who was president of Nintendo until 2002. The team is managed by Howard Lincoln another big Nintendo name.

From what my bosses were saying Hiroshi Yamauchi has never been to see the team. He mostly bought them as a thank you to WA state for the hospitality our state has given to Nintendo of America which is headquartered here. He is real hands off, but still willing to spend money to improve the place and team.

here is the Walt Disney quote from my handbook.

"Give the people everything you can give them. Keep the place as clean as you can keep it. Keep it friendly, you know. Make it a real fun place to be. Give people more and more reasons to come back, again and again. That's what's kept us successful through the years."

Anyways, they reinvest a lot of profits back into the team and the ballpark. One thing I got to look into is how to report a maintenence issue. I've spotted a couple little things here and there. I'll have to ask my supervisor when I get back to work next friday.

BTW for cleanliness fans they encourage us to pick up litter if we see it. I've seen management do it too.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I remembered when the Japanese Nintendo team had taken over ownership. For some reason I thought they might have been sold again since then.

Sounds like they have the right way of going about it. Overall I've been pleased with Arte Moreno as well in Anaheim - the name change being the only thing I have any real disagreement about.

Looks a lot like Angel and Mariner fans might have some things to discuss this season.

You worked there in 2001, right? The 116 win season? That must have been something. And somewhere I still have my unused tickets for Seattle at Anaheim, Wednesday September 12th.

-- Barry

• Shablagoo!

Yep I worked for them in 2001. It was quite the experience. I'll have to write some more about that when i get a chance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast