• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

For Roger Clemens, Life Gets More Like A Bad Country Song

And yes, I know there are some of you that would ask is there is any other kind. That's a topic for another time. I think this latest twist (tryst?) in the Rocket Man's saga transcends sports, and that's why I put it in this forum.

The latest...Mindy says it's all true. From the New York Daily News...

Barricaded behind tightly drawn blinds at her Nashville home Monday, country singer Mindy McCready confirmed a long-term affair with embattled pitcher Roger Clemens.
    "I cannot refute anything in the story," a tearful but resolute McCready told the Daily News, which broke the story at midnight Sunday.
    The News reported that the two met in a Florida karaoke bar when McCready was a 15-year-old aspiring singer and Clemens was a 28-year-old ace for the Red Sox and a married father of two.
    "Yes, I have known Roger Clemens for a long time," McCready said, reading from a prepared statement. "He's a kind and caring man. He's also a legendary athlete. The central topic in the debate, however, regards his professional life, not his personal life.
    "There are legal matters working their way through the system that have nothing to do with me. From my point of view, that is where the focus should remain."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...firms_aff.html

True, the central question does remain whether Roger used steroids. But he's filed a defamation of character suit against the man who's been one of his chief accusers.

And when filing a defamation of character suit, shouldn't one make sure that his own house is in order?

Just asking.

-- Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 04-29-2008 at 06:50 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Re: For Roger Clemens, Life Gets More Like A Bad Country Song

Yeah, he's throwing his own legend down the toilet with every move he makes.

• Banned User

I also wanted to add that it should be interesting to see if this affair and/or steroids affects his HoF chances. If it turns out that he cheated on both his wife and on the game, I want to see how many people want his records erased, like they do with Bonds. Then we'll see how the racial equality stands in baseball.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I put this thread in the main lounge because I thought the issue dealt with more than sports...and lately, relatively few people seem to be visiting this forum. I guess the moderators know best. Anyway, I hope to get more reaction about how people feel about this.

-- Barry

PS...the affair issue should have no bearing on his HoF chances. If the current members were voted in on the basis of high fidelity, they'd have a lot fewer enshrinees in Cooperstown.

And steroids or not, like it or not, Bonds and Clemens should be locks to get in. Before it would have been slam-dunk first ballot. Now, probably later because of the steroid issue.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

^ McGuire didn't get in either though, at least not first ballot.

IMO, Clemens, Bonds and McGuire do NOT belong on the HoF ... at least not until Pete Rose get's his due.

• Is it summer yet???

So, did he "misremember" about her, too??
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Cheaters shouldn't be let in. Period.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    Cheaters shouldn't be let in. Period.
    One thing bugs my about this. MLB did absolutely NOTHING about steroids. And now the players are cheaters even though it was common knowledge over 80% of all players were on the juice.

The players take the heat and MLB skates for turning their head. On top of this now our wonderful government rides in on their white horse to rescue baseball. The players on roids are the villians yet baseball encouraged it. At least baseball took a stand against gambling and are holding Pete Rose to their rules. When it come to roids everyone is guilty, players, baseball and the government. I'll crucify Bonds & Clemens because they are jackasses not because they "cheated" like a ton of other players.

• Goofy

it just shows you that you can't trust baseball players when it comes to homeruns. In this era its all about the cheating and taking the easy way out.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    One thing bugs my about this. MLB did absolutely NOTHING about steroids. And now the players are cheaters even though it was common knowledge over 80% of all players were on the juice.
    Yes.

Hey, the babe was on Whiskey. Imagine how many HR's he would have hit had he been sober.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yes.

Hey, the babe was on Whiskey. Imagine how many HR's he would have hit had he been sober.
    The Babe was on everything, booze, chow, chicks - Our American Idol. Now Mickey Mantle, he preferred the libations.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    it just shows you that you can't trust baseball players when it comes to homeruns. In this era its all about the cheating and taking the easy way out.
    I'm not concerned about trusting players. If one is watching my kids, then I worry about trust. I watch baseball to be entertained.