• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Congratulations Once Again, Vin Scully

This evening, the legendary Dodgers play by play man will be honored by his alma mater, Fordham University. The school's radio station is honoring him with its first lifetime achievement in sports broadcasting award, an honor which henceforth will bear his name.

In his 60th year with the Dodgers, he is currently the longest-running announcer there is in terms of continuous service with one team.

He is as fine a gentleman as he is a broadcaster, and that's saying a great deal. In an interview this morning he was asked how he'd like to be remembered.

His reply.."as a good father, a good husband, and a good man. Oh, and if they want to mention that I also broadcast sports, that's fine too - but the other things are far more important."

Typical Vinnie.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Congratulations Once Again, Vin Scully

Love Vin. It will be a sad day when we have to hear Dodger games without Vin.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Vin is the best. Slowing down a bit but still an absolute joy to listen to.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Love Vin. It will be a sad day when we have to hear Dodger games without Vin.
    We now live in an era where every game is on TV. Up til about ten years ago that wasn't the case, especially here in Southern California. My favorite memories of Vin will always be of my transistor radio tucked under my pillow during the 1965 championship season...I thought I had Mom faked out but when she came in to check on me, I'd pretend to be asleep but she'd say...night, Barry - and please make sure to turn it off when the game's over.

Maybe it's my generation or whatever, but to this day if I'm not at the park, I like baseball best on the radio. Vin Scully baseball on the radio. But the best we can get is a "simulcast" of the first three innings, and he's gone to TV only after that.

And he doesn't travel with the team anymore east of Denver.

But he is over 80 years old for goodness sake.

Way to go Vinnie.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Laughing Last..

A little late in posting, but better late than never, right?

As a kid growing up in Ontario, Ca. my granddad had season tickets to Dodger stadium from 1962-1977 I grew up in that stadium. My best memories are of listening to the game on my Grandads transistor radio with him. He had rigged up two ear pieces into one jack, Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett calling the game. I will surely miss his voice the day it's silenced.
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament