Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

If you were the Red Sox GM Theo Epstein?

So here's a question to ponder.

The word is out today that Sox DH David "Big Papi" Ortiz is out at least a month, and there's still a possibility he could face season ending surgery.

So the Red Sox need a power hitter. And there's one currently unemployed and available: A certain player by the name of Barry Bonds.

So. If you're Theo, do you make the call (or take the call) and add him to the team even though it would mean a mountain of PR and other headaches? Or do you pass, and hope that you can hang on through the rest of the season with what you have?

Any takers?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: If you were the Red Sox GM Theo Epstein?

Good question. I probably would, too bad Mike Piazza announced his retirement a week too soon. Boston's clubhouse is full of characters and personalities. I think they could absorb Bonds' enormous ego without disrupting the team too much. He'll be arounds other superstars unlike San Fran where he was the only huge name there.

I'd do it, seems like a pretty good stop gap.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm sure he could get Piazza out of retirement to be a DH.

If it was me, because I don't like Bonds AT ALL, I wouldn't do it. But maybe Epstein doesn't agree with my hatred of Bonds.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'm sure he could get Piazza out of retirement to be a DH.

If it was me, because I don't like Bonds AT ALL, I wouldn't do it. But maybe Epstein doesn't agree with my hatred of Bonds.
    I think 30 other GMs agree with you due to the fact that the all-time Home Run leader is still unsigned. Or maybe Barry is right, it's racism.

• Circle of Ancients

The way I look at it is this:

Barry Bonds is probably the most hated man in sports, just look at the other sports figures who were "Forgiven" for their actions.

Mike Tyson - Jailed for rape. Confirmed wife-beater (and Robin Givens was WAY hot) and overall whack-job. Yet how many times has he come back?

Kobe Bryant - Even in the midst of rape accusations (that I never believed) he was re-signed and they got rid of Shaq.

And (gasp) both of them are black. Sorry Barry, it's just you.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I agree 100% Clinks. Tyson is a little different only for the fact that boxing is not a team sport. Bonds has alienated himself from the rest of his teammates for years and all of a sudden he wants teams to overlook that?

Sorry Barry, you've made your bed now sleep until Cooperstown calls.
    Last edited by aashee; 06-03-2008 at 01:54 PM.

• Senior Minion

I think it is a true case of Russian Roulette. If Theo signs him (and I bet it would be cheap), and he works out, does well, and doesn't create any waves, and the Sox win, he'll look like a genius.

And if Barry is the Barry we've all come to know and detest, and pulls his usual shtick, and hits about .230, Epstein will look like a schmoe. I'm glad I don't have to make choices like that!

• Banned User

I'd bring him in. He's a good way to not only get some production from him, but to booster an already all star line up.

Yeah, the guy is a jerk, but the steroid thing is moot. Andy Pettite gets a standing O after he admits to taking the stuff. Same goes for Jason Giambi.

I lean towards racial bias in how people react to the steroid issue, but I will admit that he's made his reputation what it is.

That being said, I'd bring him in and either have him bat after or before Manny, because nobody would want to face either one and most teams wouldn't dare walk both.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Really?? Racial Bias??

The two examples I used of people who have had legal troubles but still are beloved are also african american.

Mark McGuire who would have EASILY been a 1st ballot hall of famer didn't get in because of alleged steriod use. - White guy

Pete Rose is STILL not in the hall of fame. - White guy

In this case, race has absolutely nothing to do with it. The guys a jerk, the guys a liar and he's made his bed, he needs to lie in it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Theo Epstien said today he has no interest in signing Barry Bonds. The color of Barry's flesh was not mentioned in the article.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Of course, Barry does have a black heart, that may have something to do with it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Of course, Barry does have a black heart, that may have something to do with it.
    LOL! I saw a thing spotlighting him on ESPN once and he was playing up to the camera what a nice guy he was. It was so fake is made him look more repulsive.

• Banned User

Yes, because every time someone gets a contract, the team issues a statement saying it was because of their skin color.

Pete Rose isn't in because he AGREED to those conditions as part of his confessing to betting. I do think he should be in though.

McGwire isn't in because he sucked. 500 has always been a shoe in to Cooperstown but if you look at those other guys, they were more than just clout. The only one that wasn't much better statisicly was Harmon Killibrew. There are many other players with less than 500 homers who are in and it's because they were exceptional ball players. I will admit though that he isn't going to get in for quite a few years, mainly because of his elusivness about steroids.

Anyways, I'll touch on this a bit more when I get home from work.

• Senior Minion

I don't think the sox need to do anything, even without papi for possibly the rest of the year. As for Bonds, he's not coming anywhere close to Boston.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    Yes, because every time someone gets a contract, the team issues a statement saying it was because of their skin color.

Am I reading this right? DO teams really say we signed a white/black/brown/yellow player to a contract? Or do the teams say we gave so and so 10 million dollars because he's black?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast