• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

A Rare Thrill Tonight - Scully and Wooden

I have a rare thrill in store tonight.

I bought myself kind of an early birthday present, and am going solo (Kathleen is working tonight) to the Nokia Theatre/L.A. Live! as its called...to an event called "Scully and Wooden...for the Kids".

I just couldn't pass up the chance to see Vin Scully (60-year plus Dodgers broadcaster) and John Wooden (legendary "Wizard of Westwood" UCLA coach, turned author and motivational speaker), on stage, sharing their thoughts, philosophies, and ideas...at least as much as moderator T.J. Simers will allow.

Since Scully's in his 80's, and Wooden in his 90's, I figured this might be the last chance to take part in such an event.

At the insistence of both men, as I understand it, all proceeds are going to the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles and other children's charities.

The event is also being shown live in SoCal at 8PM on FSN Prime Ticket. I hope you get a chance to see it, and that the other FSN's around the nation show this to the rest of the country.

We've already been warned that no cameras will be allowed. But hopefully I can get some exterior shots, and one of some Laker and Celtic fans maybe milling around Staples, which is across the street.

I'll report back, one way or the other. What a night it figures to be.

-- Barry

How much did I pay for my orchestra level seat? Don't ask. But it's for the kids, after all.

PS...Simers is a kind of tongue-in-cheek, bordering or smart aleck columnist for the LA Times. He's also been on local radio. I enjoy his work...many in SoCal don't. I think they take him too seriously.

I also wanted to point out that Kathleen's work schedule at the hospital was set before I knew about this event. She also said this wouldn't be the kind of thing she'd enjoy as much as me, but said she really wanted me to go anyway. I case you wondered.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 06-13-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: A Rare Thrill Tonight - Scully and Wooden

Sounds cool Barry.

Is it Nokia that said no cameras? Because when I went there for the Rush concert last month, they had absolutely no problems with cameras.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Sounds cool Barry.

Is it Nokia that said no cameras? Because when I went there for the Rush concert last month, they had absolutely no problems with cameras.
    Thanks, Gregg.

Since it's printed in the ad in today's Times, and rather prominently, I presume it's at the behest of the organizers of the event.

The theatre's website says they prohibit flash photography and of course video or audio recorders.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I know, but EVERYBODY has a cell-phone camera now.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's Saturday morning now. The event at Nokia Theatre ended before 10PM last night. Save for an hour on the couch, I haven't been to sleep yet (and I have to go do a Dodger game at noon today at the radio station...)

What kind of a night was it - it was truly magical. I felt that way, and I heard lots of others saying it as we walked back to the parking garage on 11th Street, next to Chick Hearn Court.

In summary...T-J Simers was his usual smart aleck at times but the guests enjoyed it and Wooden in particular gave it back as good as he got!

John Wooden is just a remarkable man for any age - much less 97. Vin Scully, a youngster of 81, helped him from his wheelchair into his stage chair, with seven thousand of us giving both of them one of several standing ovations.

Simers opened by asking Wooden if he blamed Phil Jackson for the Lakers loss across the street the night before. He said no. Who's to blame..."the players, of course..."

Scully said he was grateful to the Lakers in a way because with their loss, no one was talking about the Dodgers 9-0 loss to San Diego earlier that day...

But they mainly talked about things other than sports. Life lessons that they had learned. Not to take oneself too seriously. Simers asked Wooden how he'd gotten to be 97. Because I'm not afraid of death, he said. They talked about their faith in God.

Anyway, I've been watching the TV version of the presentation that I recorded, and it has me all amped up again.

It all benefited, the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, the Dodgers ThinkCure for breast cancer charity, and various others.

I spent 200 dollars for my orchestra seat, and it was worth every penny.

More of the many nuggets to share later...I'll make a videotape for anyone who wants it.

-- Barry

PS...I left my camera in the car, seeing signs of no cameras even in the parking garage. Good thing. On the way to get into the theatre, people were being sent back to their cars to put cameras away. I did come back for a couple of exterior shots after the event. I didnt see anyone, at least in my area, using cellphones either.

Very impressed with the Nokia venue, by the way. I've never cared for Staples. I know, they're not the same kind of building but I just thought I'd say it.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 06-14-2008 at 06:39 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Sounds like a magical evening Barry.

A few notes:

- As somebody who has actually gotten to meet, and talk with Mr. Wooden (he deserves that respect) a few times, he's truly the nicest person you will probably ever meet.
    - I also very much liked Nokia on my 2 visits there last month.

• For You!

I can't wait to hear more about it Barry! I'm so glad that you took the time to "treat" yourself!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    - As somebody who has actually gotten to meet, and talk with Mr. Wooden (he deserves that respect) a few times, he's truly the nicest person you will probably ever meet.
    We are very fortunate people.

I've also had the opportunity to meet Coach Wooden a few times, the first when I was a kid getting to play at his basketball camp held at Pepperdine. He was so generous and genuinely involved in the weeklong process. The best pass I ever threw during a game was right in front of him, he gave me a big smile & a terrific compliment when we came off the court. I obviously will never forget it, nor many of the other lessons he shared with us for self-improvement or success either.

I've also met Mr. Scully on two occassions. Such a wonderful presence and articulate man.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• LTRinENC

I had the good fortune of meeting Vin Scully a number of years back after a Dodgers-Padres game in San Diego. He was truly humble and the epitomy of decency.

I was present at the Nokia last night as well. It was quite the sentimental journey for someone who grew up in LA in the 60's and 70's. I loved every minute of the evening.

RadioBarry - What do I need to do to take you up on your very generous offer of making a videotape of FSN Prime Ticket's broadcast? Sadly, I hosed up my attempt to tape the broadcast. And from what I can see there are no re-broadcasts in the near future. Who knows, maybe they'll be selling DVD's.

Please let me know what I need to do, costwise, etc.

Thanks again for your generous offer.
    Last edited by LTRinENC; 06-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Maybe just send a blank videocassette (sorry, VHS, gulp, tape is all I have available) and we'll go from there! Send me a PM for my address.