• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Some Folks Who Come To Anaheim Don't Have Such A Magical Time - Ask Willie Randolph!

In one of the classier moves in the history of baseball management, the Mets finally dropped the other shoe on embattled manager Willie Randolph.

After making him go across the country.

Announced it by email.

In the middle of the night.

After beating the Angels in Anaheim.

Now that's class.

ANAHEIM - The Mets have fired manager Willie Randolph, pitching coach Rick Peterson and first base coach Tom Nieto, the team announced shortly after 3 a.m. Eastern time Tuesday.
    Bench coach Jerry Manuel has been named the team's interim manager, while Ken Oberkfell, Dan Warthen and Luis Aguayo will join the staff.
    The announcement came despite the Mets' 9-6 victory against the Angels hours earlier, which lifted the team's record to 34-35. Randolph's tenure as the organization's 18th manager ends with a 302-253 record, the second-highest winning percentage in franchise history, trailing only Davey Johnson.
    -- Barry

It's no surprise that they fired him. It's the way they handled it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Shablagoo!

Re: Some Folks Who Come To Anaheim Don't Have Such A Magical Time - Ask Willie Randol

Boy they cleaned house. Mariners fired General manager Bill Bavasi yesterday.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 06-17-2008 at 12:56 PM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Some Folks Who Come To Anaheim Don't Have Such A Magical Time - Ask Willie Randol

Saw footage of Willie being interviewed in the lobby of a hotel (I assume the Doubletree next to the Block of Orange, where most visiting teams stay)...he was NOT a happy man. He was on his way to the airport.

Again, my issue is not with the firing...that's part of baseball...but with the way it was done.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Shablagoo!

I am with you there. The way they did it stinks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I watched Mets GM's Omar Minaya's presser from Anaheim this afternoon.

Wouldn't you think that especially with what was going on, the Mets would have brought their own news conference backdrop banner? Seemed strange to see this happening in front of the Angel logos with Minaya doing his best to express himself. Then again, it's all so bizarre.

There's an updated ESPN.com story that has comments from Minaya, trying to give it a better face.

Excerpt...

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- New York Mets manager Willie Randolph was fired because the losses and the speculation about his job were hurting the team.

That's what general manager Omar Minaya said Tuesday after Randolph's awkward dismissal was announced in a matter-of-fact news release in the dead of night.

With the Mets below .500 and still wobbling from last year's colossal collapse, rumors about Randolph's status built to a crescendo over the weekend. Minaya said the tension went on "far too long."

"It was not fair to the team, it was not fair to Willie Randolph, it was not fair to the organization," Minaya said, several hours before the Mets played the Los Angeles Angels.

Bench coach Jerry Manuel was promoted to manage the Mets and will stay in that position for the rest of the year.

"I'm really stunned by it," Randolph said as he left the team hotel shortly before noon. "I was surprised by it."

Minaya said he made the decision Monday and stressed it was his alone.
    If I understood him correctly, Minaya said the decision was made before Monday's game.

Comment.

If so, he should have been fired before the game, not at 12:15 AM Pacific...leaving him to make the trip back to the east coast hours after his job was in question when he got on the plane to start the road trip.

In reality, it should have been done weeks ago. Last Friday, Randolph was said to have "full support of ownership". Then he wins three games out of four, including beating the Angels, and then he's fired.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Their reasons for firing him were all legitimate, but were something that could have been brought to his attention before they left on the road trip. Barry nailed it. The firing can't be criticized. The method of the firing can't be defended.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The Mets aren't normally considered a classy organization. The way they treated Willie doesn't change that image.