• Minion

E-mail Hosting and DSL Questions

Slightly updated details below

This is my basic situation. I have two phone lines run into my house right now, one is residential line w/DSL the other is my office/business line.

Since I rarely, if ever, use the Residential line I am probably going to cancel it and use office line and cellular to get all calls, thus saving about $ 45 a month.

The issue I have to resolve is what to do with the DSL. I have a couple options to ponder

1) I can have a dry DSL line at/3MB speeed and pay about $ 45, but keep my current e-mail addresses. The business line averages $ 60 per month but would probably go up somewhat if I started doing personal calls there too. So figure net cost of $ 105-$ 110 per month.

2 ) I can get a bundle on the business line and pay about $ 100 for DSL (3MB) and the full business package w/unlimited calls. With taxes about the same as #1 but I have unlimited calls and able to deduct this expense on business.

But I would not be able to keep current e-mail addresses, so I'd have to deal with telling clients/etc of the change.

What I've pretty much decided to do is to do dry line first while I get my own domain and email address then eventually go to the one line setup

So I need input on who does a good job w/domain and email hosting.

Any comments ?
    Last edited by tiggerfan; 09-25-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: New details
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Minion

Re: E-mail Hosting and DSL Questions

Updated info above
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

My question is.. why can't you just do personal calls on your cell phone so the amount you pay for your business line doesn't go up?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Well either way its pretty much a tossup.

If the business stays at $ 60 (which is where it is now) plus $ 45 for the DSL it comes to $ 105.

With the bundle its $ 100 plus taxes, so about the same.

So in terms of those plans I will pretty much play it by ear, probably start out with option 1 (keeping 2 lines in place w/old e-mail addresses) and then decide later if I want to consolidate.

However I do think getting my own e-mail domain would look professional (IE [email protected] versus [email protected]) so I will be doing that.

I just need to get input on what companies are reliable, which ones are not, and so on.

• Down Pluto!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

I won't run a business site in the sense of e-commerce or anything.

For those who don't know I am a lawyer focused mostly on bankruptcy.

So I would probably create a web site to promote my practice but it would be informational in the sense of telling who I am, what I do, etc with an option for them to e-mail me for a consultation.

I might also get a second domain for my blog.

But for the most part it would just be for e-mail and having the more professional looking e-mail extension of @lawoffice.com versus @att.com

As to what I want to pay, I'd like to keep it reasonably inexpensive since I wouldn't be doing that much. I've seen prices of around $ 10-20 a month on various sites and wouldn't want to go much over that

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    I won't run a business site in the sense of e-commerce or anything.

For those who don't know I am a lawyer focused mostly on bankruptcy.

So I would probably create a web site to promote my practice but it would be informational in the sense of telling who I am, what I do, etc with an option for them to e-mail me for a consultation.
    In this case, absolutely, it would be better. The main advantage is the site and email addresses will be yours forever if you keep the domain.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    I might also get a second domain for my blog.
    As you've probably found out by now, a lot of hosts will throw in a domain for free or very cheap if you buy a year of hosting up front. Webspace can have any number of domains point to it, so you could buy a second one for the usual $~35/year (from any registrar you want--doesn't have to be same company as your web host) and have it go to the blog portion of your webspace.

• Minion

I agree it is worth it. But do you have any places you suggest we use or avoid ?

• Down Pluto!

Three to consider:

www.valueweb.com

www.inmotionhosting.com

www.ixwebhosting.com

I have clients that have these hosts, and have great success.

Personally, I have a server on the Global IT Hosting Leader - but I don't think you want that sort of arrangement...

The two I would say to avoid have in the past two years bit the dust. No problem there, they deserved to fail.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.