Thread: DVD Camcorder

• Clearing my Calendar

DVD Camcorder

I'm thinking of looking into getting a DVD camcorder for my husband for Christmas. I'm completely mind boggled and don't even know where to begin looking or what to be looking for.

I want something that's going to be fun to use a LOT since we live so close to family and get together often. So it needs to be user friendly and relatively straight forward right out of the box or after minimum manual exploring (my husband isn't one for manuals ).

We don't have an HDTV or anything like that (or foresee getting one anytime soon), so does it matter whether we get an HD camcorder? Does it enhance the picture quality even without having an HDTV?

Price is something consider, but it's not an absolute deal breaker either. I'd really like to hear suggestions on products or recommendations from anyone who might have one and have the option to narrow it down later because of price.

Thanks!

Edit to add: For example, right out of the gate and not really knowing anything about what I should look for, I like the look/reviews/capabilities of this one. Thoughts, opinions?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Down Pluto!

Re: DVD Camcorder

Actually some DVD camcorders pictures are not as good as those that record on miniDV tape or chip. It is because of having to burn a DVD in real-time. My personal preference is burning to chips and then editing/burning to DVD on my computer. I know of no one personally who has one that burns only to DVD that likes it. (only 3 people) If anyone out there does - I'd like to hear about it as I'd like to hear a different opinion.

The 3" DVD's sometimes can't be played on home equipment because of proprietary recording schemes. You must only play them in the camcorder.

To answer your question - Yes the HD camcorder 'enhances' the picture quality without having HDTV. You just may not be able to see it depending on your TV and what you compare it with.
    Last edited by Sambo; 10-01-2008 at 06:13 PM.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• no flash photography...

mine uses mini dv tapes. I burnt he dvd from the computer. It was quite the learning curve for me and I finally got it to work to my satisfaction with adobe premiere.

• Clearing my Calendar

So what's a minidv and how do you transfer the footage to DVD for later viewing?

By chips do you mean the hard drive camcorders?
    and the stars come out,

• no flash photography...

mini dv is the tape that goes in the cameraa. The camera records to it. My camera has a fire wire that is used to transfer to the computer. One complaint is it is slow going. It transfer in real time. Once on the computer the video is edited. For youtube type stuff I just use movie maker, but for DVD's the only thring I could get to work well was adobe premiere. I tried several other programs forst and they all pixelated on the TV and looked really crappy. There may be other programs out there that work well, but I just used what I had.

• Mischievous Mouse

I have both a mini DV Sony which was great, but too often, a while shooting the error would come up that it needed cleaning and then the picture was all messed up. I got a cleaner tape, but when you are filming family memories, this is a huge interuption. This last Christmas I treated myself to a JVC HD (hard-drive) camcorder. Much more compact, better picture, no more dirty tape head cleaning, and a huge hard drive (30gig) and it easily plugs into either a DVD recorder for burning or computer for editing.

I used this for our last Disney trip, it was so convenient, nearly as compact as my regular snapshot camera. I am now a huge advocate of harddrive camcorder.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Clearing my Calendar

I think I'll lean more toward either a DVD or Hard Drive. Now knowing what the minidv is - he had something like that and hated it. So uh, no.

Which model JVC did you get SA?
    and the stars come out,

• Circle of Ancients

Just remember, with the Hard Drive camera, there is no tape (or DVD) for saving the original footage, and the only place to save it all is on your computer. Could fill it up rather quickly.

I have a DV-Camera (uses DV tapes) and I love it. I don't transfer EVERYTHING from the tapes to my computer because, well, frankly, it's not all good.

What I'll do is go through my tapes using my Firewire and take out what I want. I'll edit in Premiere and then use a program such as Roxio to burn onto a DVD. That way I have the "good" stuff on my computer (not taking up THAT much room) but I still have my original stuff on tape in case I need it later on.

• Mischievous Mouse

Good point about the hard-drive camera, I back up on DVD once I get an hour of footage. It's real easy for me. I did this with the tapes too.

I wonder how long the tapes will last even stored appropriately. They are magnetic oxide. Digital, but still subject to time and elements. I want memories to last at least a couple generations.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I'm not so sure on that either Sorcerer's Apprentice. It's not hard to upload to a DVD, it's just capturing all of it in order to do so that's so time consuming.

I recently put all of our Hi-8 stuff on DVD and I'm so glad it was all in good enough shape still.

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Just remember, with the Hard Drive camera, there is no tape (or DVD) for saving the original footage, and the only place to save it all is on your computer. Could fill it up rather quickly.
    Ok I'm confused. If I plug the hard drive camera into the computer and upload it all to it, then turn around and burn it all to DVD (or 2 or 3 for family) why do I need to keep the footage on the hard drive?
    and the stars come out,

• Down Pluto!

DVD's get scratched, broken, lost, and sometimes unreadable for unknown reasons.

At least make two copies and store one off-site.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Ok I'm confused. If I plug the hard drive camera into the computer and upload it all to it, then turn around and burn it all to DVD (or 2 or 3 for family) why do I need to keep the footage on the hard drive?
    You don't, but it's good to have it backed up just in case, at least IMO.

That's what the DV tapes allow. But you can always back-up the footage onto DVD if you want as well.