• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Sad DVD-ROM problems. Please help

Okay, I am at my wits end with my DVD-ROM.

Here is the problem. It is not burning my video's properly and yet it's saying that it burned them successfully when each session is over.

Here's what I know. I use Nero Express 2 for burning. It has never let me down.

I play RCT3 and use MovieMaker to edit and save my video's. The saved video's play perfectly fine on my computer and on data discs.

BUT when I burn thos same video's onto a disc, they skip around in the same exact places on my DVD player and on my DVD-ROM player. No matter how many discs I use or how many different things I try, they skip around in the same places.

BUT when I make video CD's on the same burner, there are no glitches at all! Sure, it's got a little less quality to the image, but...

I also cleaned the burner's lens but it still glitches in the same spot on my DVD Player and DVD-ROM player.

But when I do tests on the DVD-ROM, it comes up with nothing significant saying that there is anything wrong with the drive.

I have an optorite DVD+R 8.5GB Double Layer 16xDVD+RW drive that can also burn and play DVD+R 16x, DVD+R DL 4x, DVD-R 8x, DVD=RW4x, DVD-RW 4x, CD-R 40x, CD-RW 24x.

I am currently trying to burn my discs onto DVD+RW discs.

Is it perhaps that I may be using the wrong discs even though this thing says it can do DVD+RW discs?

I just can't figure this out. I tried just about everything and still have no answer in regards to why this is happening.

The guy at the computer stire suggest I free up some space and I freed up a few GB of space and still have the same problems.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: DVD-ROM problems. Please help

Try burning at a slower speed? Less chance for errors.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I tried recording it at the slowest speed available, 4x, didn't work. Still had the same problems. On the box it says DVD+RW for 4x under the write speed category and DVD+RW 8x under the read speed category.

So now I am recording it at 8x speed.

But i called my manager because he has a son who is very tech savy and hopefully I will be able to get in contact with him soon.

I also did uninstall and reinstall the Nero programs but that too did nothing.

• Just this guy......

You might want to try a different CD burn software.

CDBurnerXP: Introduction and News

CD Burner is free.

• For You!

My DVD burner just bit the dust - it was doing similar things, getting hung up and finally not burning anything - I got a new one for about $20 - it was really easy to install too.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    You might want to try a different CD burn software.

CDBurnerXP: Introduction and News

CD Burner is free.

Yes - This would by my suggestion as well.

Then consider a regular DVD - not rewritable.
    Also - Is there a firmware update from the drive manufacturer?

If no luck after all that - then I'd consider a replacement drive.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Water rides are evil.

First thing would be try the regular DVD-/+R. The RW thing is the most likely culprit. The software shouldn't be the issue since you've used it in the past. Barring that....new drive.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'd try making the disc without actually burning it.. make it to the vdb files and play with a software player.

You may find the error may not be in the burning, but in the encoding. To which, I suggest trying with alternate software. Since its in the same place every time, I'd try this first.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

First thing would be try the regular DVD-/+R. The RW thing is the most likely culprit. The software shouldn't be the issue since you've used it in the past. Barring that....new drive.
    I can try those also, but I always used DVD+RW and have rarely had any problems with them .

Thanks for the suggestions guys/gals.

I have been doing more tests and here is what I realized. As of late, the Burner has burned video's successfully. But the video I have been trying to get burned successfully lately has been giving me problems. I do make my own videos. So I decided to break the video up into more video segments. I tested one of the video segments today on my DVD+RW disc and it played great so far. But in the original version of the video, the one that contained all the scenes merged together, that segment of the film had glitches in it.

I am now starting to wonder if the problem is not with the burner, but the video file itself. Or if it is being caused by a certain part of the video.

I wonder if this is all happening because parts of the original video had text on the video files.

I know that when I did not have the text on the files, the movie played muche better as compared to when it did have the text files.

Thanks for your imput though. It's going on my list of things to try .

• For You!

That's the exact reason why I just upgraded my computer - I didn't have enough RAM to successfully run the burning. the more complicated video - the more my computer would shut down.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Pilot EdForceOne

you can encode the content and burn the DVD seperately. This is the best thing to do if you are having issues... prevents making coasters unnecessarily and allows the computer to work on its own speed, and not worry about making the burn fail.

The converstion ot mpeg2 and encoding is probably what's failing in the OPs situation.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'd try making the disc without actually burning it.. make it to the vdb files and play with a software player.

You may find the error may not be in the burning, but in the encoding. To which, I suggest trying with alternate software. Since its in the same place every time, I'd try this first.
    How would I be able to make a vdb file and play it with the software player?

In regards to the software player, are you refering to the stuff that plays my videos, like Window's Media Player? The DVD program I use that plays my movies? Or something else?

The converstion ot mpeg2 and encoding is probably what's failing in the OPs situation.
    I talked to someone yesterday who said I should try converting the files to mpeg or mpg format, but I don't know how to do that. I do believe we can do it on my computer because I have seen those settings on my computer before, but I forget where I saw them.