• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Windows MovieMaker issues!! PLEASE HELP!!!

I am having constant problems with Windows Movie Maker now. I rarely have had problems, but now I am.

When I recorded a 2 minute video and put it onto DVD, there were no problems at all. It played the scene well.

BUT when I saved it last night with an additional 6 minutes worth of edited video clips, I got this message:

Here is what the MM error message says:

"Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disc space still available and then try again."

-Original source files are still available
    -Saving location is still avaialble
    -Free disc space may be the reason now that a fellow MCer mentioned it to me, but I do have almost 700MB of RAM though.

I did have MM on almost all day yesterday. I mean, not all day, I turned it off and on, but I had my computer on all day and just turned off the screen when I was not using it.

Here's another strange thing. I had the same issue with another previous video I made on MM. The video file would play great on the Computer and then when I burned it onto an appropriate DVD, the video kept skipping.

So then I opened up the video's MM file, cut portions off of the file and save them to another MM file individually.

I then burned those individual files onto a DVD and they all played perfectly fine! It's just that when the clips are all merged together, they get all glitchy.

Another thing with this video in question. When it did not give me the error message, and if it did start to count down the remaining time, it would never count down the minutes remaining, but would count them up! I mean, for a 6 minute video, it kept counting up past 1500 minutes!

Then when I did get a file saved of the video, only the first and last 35 seconds played and everything else was a black screen.

I did not move any of the files since I imported them into MM, none of them are corrupted, etc. I just can't figure out this problem. Another MCer told me to save the MM file, turn the computer off for a bit, then turn MM back on and save the file as a video.

I use to be able to make 50 minute long video's for Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 on MM with no problems. Now it's making it hard for me to save a six minute long video right after I get done fooling around with it!

Usually I can just make adjustments to the video and save it to the computer and have it play on DVD's fine.

But now that I am doing a project I am very passionate about, that's when it want to give me problems!!

Any other suggestions as to what may be causing this?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Windows MovieMaker issues!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh and I don't multitask while doing any of this stuff. No other programs run when I use MM and save my files to the computer and onto DVD.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disc space still available and then try again."

-Original source files are still available
    -Saving location is still avaialble
    -Free disc space may be the reason now that a fellow MCer mentioned it to me, but I do have almost 700MB of RAM though.
    Having 700MB of RAM is not free disc space. How much free space is available on your hard drive?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• The one and only

i've had the same problem.
    try saving the video as different files in one minute segments.

after you've saved them, put them all together in another project.
    I know, it can be time consuming, but it's worth it.

The reason it didn't save for me, was because i had used too many edits.
    it said the same thing. did a quick search on yahoo answers and took peoples advice.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

It may be giving me that same issue for the same reason Jodie. The vide is full of video clips that are only a few seconds long.

But I have tried it your way time and time again. The clips will play great when I break them up and save them ob different files, but even if I save videos of them after I break them up, and try to save those newly made video's together again, I get the same issue.

So, the clips play great when they are seperated, but play horribly when they are together.

Sambo, I have almost 7GB of free space .

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    It may be giving me that same issue for the same reason Jodie. The vide is full of video clips that are only a few seconds long.

But I have tried it your way time and time again. The clips will play great when I break them up and save them ob different files, but even if I save videos of them after I break them up, and try to save those newly made video's together again, I get the same issue.

So, the clips play great when they are seperated, but play horribly when they are together.

Sambo, I have almost 7GB of free space .
    Might not be enough. I have a short video I'm editing and one clip is 9.58GB, the next is 4.4GB... Add in the headroom to reserve space for the video rendering before burning - over 20GB is required.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with Sambo, you need to have at least 20GB of free-space prior to compression. Just to be on the safe side.

I can't really help with Windows Movie Maker, I generally only use it for compressing my videos I've created with Premiere.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Time to invest in an external hard drive. I just got a 640GB Western Digital MyBook on sale for $99.99 at Best Buy this week. I moved all my music, photos and videos over to it as well as backed up my iTunes library.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Might not be enough. I have a short video I'm editing and one clip is 9.58GB, the next is 4.4GB... Add in the headroom to reserve space for the video rendering before burning - over 20GB is required.
    What version of MM do you have? I wonder if it's a better quality version than the one I have. The one I have had is about 5 years old, came with my computer.

See, my movie full length movie of Sweeney Todd on RCT3, when it's all said and done, will probably be no bigger than 2-6 GB. in space.

Actually I do believe Jordie hit the nail with the hammer. I think that is what's causing this issue. Even with my 50 minute Movie, that was made last year, required less than 2GB of free space.

But I do think the issue is with all the 2-3 second long clips I am using to make my movie is what's causing the problem, which that does make sense. Anyway, I was able to break the video up and the video's burned perfectly.

Time to invest in an external hard drive. I just got a 640GB Western Digital MyBook on sale for $99.99 at Best Buy this week. I moved all my music, photos and videos over to it as well as backed up my iTunes library.
    Maybe someday, but on a part time salary, I can't afford it . Plus, I remember last time I spent over $180 to add a ATI Radeon game card and other things to make my RCT3 game play better, it wasn't playing bad in the first place, it all wound up making the game play worse. So I'm staying away from spending a lot of money on technology right now, especially if it's just over a MM program .
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 10-29-2008 at 06:37 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

OH! I do appreciate everyone's feedback .