Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Using Mobile Broadband access? (RIP Ricochet)

Once upon a time there was a Mobile Access company called Ricochet. They were fast, they had good coverage in many major cities, they were flat-rate and reasonably priced.

Ricochet was the Top-Secret Method I used to send Al the DCA Electrical Parade Premier photographs for the front page in a matter of minutes (without using Sneakernet), so he could have them edited and on-line at MousePlanet first thing the next morning. And it worked perfectly, even though I had to go park on the top level of the Mickey and Friends structure to get a solid signal - they hadn't gotten the build-out close enough yet...

And then Ricochet went belly up because they couldn't figure out how to market their service, and they didn't grow the customer base fast enough to support the massive equipment investment they made. They had one warehouse full of customer modems, and another one full of pole-top repeaters...

Fast forward a few years and a few corporate buy-outs, and they're back open in Denver and San Diego, but their promised re-rollout of the system stalled after that. They announced another city (IIRC Fort Worth TX) was "Coming Soon", and then they quietly un-announced it. (You'll notice I'm not holding my breath for the Los Angeles Area announcement.)

Before I drop some serious coin for the Verizon Mobile Broadband Access PC-Card modem solution (and get on the hook for a 1-year contract on it...) I'm looking for other practical ideas.

I don't want to rely on HotSpot access, and I'm not a Starbucks (r) frou-frou type anyways, so that's out as a primary method. Plus, there have been horror stories where people found open unsecured 802.11B networks and innocently hopped on to use them, only to have the stores track them down and prosecute later - a Lowe's IIRC.

I'm going to use it for work-type stuff, so getting a Ham ticket and using packet radio is out.

And using the Cellphone data cable with my old LG VX2000 for slow-speed access certainly works - but after graduating all the way from "the bad old days" of 110-baud acoustic-coupler dial-up (using TIBBS and The Source) to today's DSL speed, you get spoiled.

--<< Bruce >>--

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman

I don't want to rely on HotSpot access, and I'm not a Starbucks (r) frou-frou type anyways, so that's out as a primary method. Plus, there have been horror stories where people found open unsecured 802.11B networks and innocently hopped on to use them, only to have the stores track them down and prosecute later - a Lowe's IIRC.

--<< Bruce >>--
    if someone has an open hot spot, and you happen to log on, what can they prosecute you for??? its not your fault... many businesses have open hot spots... my friend owns a barber shop with a free wireless net on site... many folks dont use the security that comes with their wireless gear, and its open for any to use...

not sure how to help though...

• Banned User

I would figure a lot of anaheim uses wireless broadband throughout the city by now.... Why not allow people.. (like me) to log on.......

I know Tampa is becoming a "Hot spot" for everyone now......

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Downtown Fullerton has free wireless access available to everyone - it was just set up recently!

Now if we could get this everywhere...
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Banned User

companies are working on that.... (tampa deserves it with all the condos getting built in the next 5 years.... sheash... trump comes and all of a suddon they are everywhere...)

I think WDW & DL should have hotspots.....

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    How about an Attraction Informaion page, accessable from inside the parks? Select your park to see wait times, show times, and such. eFastPass anyone?
    -Monorail Man

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    companies are working on that.... (tampa deserves it with all the condos getting built in the next 5 years.... sheash... trump comes and all of a suddon they are everywhere...)

Disney setting up free Hotspots for guest use? Shirley You Jest!

If they can't make big money from it, Disney is not going to do it. And I don't see a market for it inside the parks, except from a few geeks who want the connection just for the novelty of it. At the DLR Hotels, maybe - but it's a lot easier to sell you a wired connection in your room.

They do have a 802.11 (a/b/g?) wireless network running inside Disneyland and DCA for the remote cash registers, you can see the transceivers sitting up high on the pin carts with their little blinkenlights blinking away so they can do credit-card and room charge transactions.

But that system is almost certainly both secured and encrypted, meaning I can't just log in onto it as a casual user and check my E-mail or stream some digital audio or pictures out on it. It darned well better be encrypted - I certainly wouldn't want all my credit-card transaction information floating around on an unencrypted radio link for anyone with a packet sniffer to grab...

--<< Bruce >>--

• Banned User

What i mean is the fact that even in Tampa... a company is offering free wireless internet....

Tmpa has many buisnesses and people walking around.... This is a huge potential profit not being used.. disney could do the same thing... contact a company to install and run the offer at it's Parks & resorts... (people to go to the aprks with a wireless lan modem inside their PDA or even now Nintendo DS...) just make the one you can see not mac encoded... (people have said the system they have now is actually mac coded...)