• Banned User

Need camcorder advice

I need help finding a good night shot/ dark ride camcorder for a good price. I'm not looking for anything in the high price range, or really anything over maybe 350-400. I just need something that will take decent video on the dark rides, such as Haunted Mansion.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Re: Need camcorder advice

I have the JVC Gz-MS100U camcorder and it takes horrible pictures of LED lights and also in dark rides.

So I think i'm having the same problem as you.

For example, when i took a picture of the holiday ball room in HMH all that came up was the candle lights throughout the room, NOTHING else.

• Banned User

Bump, and I have another question. I've watched videos on YouTube with people using infared and night shot stuff in the Hm and in the hitchiking ghost mirrors it appears that there's a light emanating from the camcorder. My question is this, is that light a noticable one or does it only show on the video? I don't want to be a beacon on the ride but I want good video of it.

• Down Pluto!

The NightShot feature is infrared, and the on ride cameras pick it up real well...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

So are there any camcorders that don't use external lights to get good indoor/dark video?

• Banned User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

So is the light seen here actually a protruding light that can be seen by everyone?

• no flash photography...

I'm not sure, but I don't care for how that video looks. It almost looks like it was shot in black and white. it's very washed out.

• Charmander!

most inexpensive cameras will not be able to see in the dark very well. Infared cameras will emit an infrared light which cannot be seen by your eyes but will be picked up by the camera because it has infrared sensors. I'd imagine the in-ride cameras are also IR so they would pick it up. I don't know if they have anything against you recording a ride...
    In general to shoot in the dark you need a camera with a very wide aperture, and a big lens that lets as much light through as possible. Ive used a few $2000+ video cameras and they still arent very good in the dark.

• Circle of Ancients

The Infrared can't be seen by anybody else but the the person holding the camera (while looking through the view screen) or by Disney on their camera's. The infrared doesn't effect any guests in a negative way.

My camcorder is a bit on the old side, but it's awesome and works great at night. It's a Sony DCR HC-21 and I love it. Not too big, not too small.

• Banned User

"The Infrared can't be seen by anybody else but the the person holding the camera (while looking through the view screen) or by Disney on their camera's."

Awesome, that's the answer I've been looking for for the longest time. As long as it doesn't emit an actual light that is visible by others and won't disrupt the ride, that's all I need to know.

• Circle of Ancients

Nope, your good to go.

It's only happened once when somebody at Disney came over the loud-speaker and said to turn off the light. I'm assuming they were talking about me, but there is no light, although it may look like it from them.

But this is only once in probably 100 times I've ridden Disney dark rides with my camera and the infrared on.

• Banned User

Excellent, thanks a ton!