Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Computer help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    When the cd is activated - it will automatically detect a current installation of Windows (assuming it is newer than Win95) and Repair Installation will be one of the options. When you choose to repair, it will check all system files and repair or replace damaged ones, reinstall missing ones, and on newer versions - will check service packs and keep important system files from the service packs rather than replace with an older version.

There is little chance with a repair that you will lose existing data as that is overlooked. With a reinstall - there is a slightly greater chance, but still slim. That is unless you opt to reformat before a reinstall, in which case you lose everything. But it warns you this will happen before you proceed. The obvious thing is to back up all your files you wish to keep - photos, music, email (including contacts or address books), artwork, spreadsheets, documents, tax or financial info, well you get the picture...

The best way to do this is with an external hard drive (under $100). However with a 7 year old computer, there is a chance you do not have USB 2.0 - or USB at all for that matter, which would be a problem. However - backing up data is only as important as your data.
    I actually just tried the CD, however because my updates are newer, it couldn't do a thing, which was fine by me since it made me pretty nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago and I called up Geeksquad. I paid about $200 for someone to come to my apt and delete Norton antivirus. A lot of computers slow down because of it...
    We still have our old Norton installed because my mom doesn't want to get rid of it. SHhhh I'm deleting it and all of it's components right now. haha

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Another good spyware removal tool is Ad-Aware. You can download the free version here:

Ad-Aware 2008 Free - Lavasoft

• Mrs. J. Depp

Thanks Aimster. I've actually tried Ad-Aware awhile back. Wasn't super fond of it. I use and love AVG Free by Grisoft. It definitely keeps me protected.
    As for removing the Norton Antivirus, wasn't able to locate ANY uninstall files so I actually had to download a Norton Removal tool from Symantec. Removed every last bit of it and sped up my computer so much! Yay for that.
    Add/remove programs is till giving me issues though..... :/

Facebook me!

I use AVG Free at work and I agree it's awesome. Norton is a total system hog. I don't miss it. I use CA Security Suite at home (I got a free license from my cable company).

• Huh?

I did a little searching on Google and discovered that "The Add/Remove Programs list is populated from the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall" Just in case you aren't familiar with looking at the registry, you can view it by clicking the Start button, the Run, and type in regedit and hit ok. Then it's just a matter of expanding the keys to the one above. Just be careful not to change anything. If your programs aren't listed there, then I'd say something has corrupted your registry and I don't know if there's anyway to get the programs back on the list. If they are listed there and don't show in the Add/Remove Programs area, then there's another problem that I don't know how to solve.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Thanks for all the input and help guys! Things are running a bit better overall. I deleted many many photos which were taking up loads of MB. Now am able to defrag and am no longer getting low disk space messages. Add/remove programs.....ehh it's the least of my worries now. I know how to access the registry for manual deleting.

Facebook me!

You should invest in an external hard drive. Best Buy usually has pretty good deals on them. I got a 640GB Western Digital MyBook one on sale for $99 a couple months ago, plus I had a $40 gift card, so I only paid $60-something after taxes. I moved all my photos, music & videos to it and mu desktop runs much better now. Plus I can connect the drive to my laptop or really any computer and access everything.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Thats an awesome idea Aimster! Thanks. I'm gonna see if my mom's IT guys at work possibly have one lying around that I can have. With all the photo and music files moved, I think this 7 year old computer could practically run like new again!

Facebook me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12