• or CBF

Microsoft's New OS "7" to be beta released 1/9

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/08/m...mer/index.html

Microsoft's finally given up on Vista. They're already moving on to bigger and hopefully better things.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Microsoft's New OS "7" to be beta released 1/9

They haven't given up... this is just the next step. Microsoft OS's tend to be in beta for well over a year. Vista is already almost 2.5 years old. It will be probably 4 years old before it's replacement Windows 7 is available. Which means it will probably be another year or more before it displaces Vista.

Its just the lifecycle of software...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• or CBF

True, but the way the media is hyping it is like 7's official release is Friday. They're all but saying that Microsoft is giving up.

Sure it won't phase Vista out completely until at least 5 years from now, there's still millions out there who still use XP and earlier, but that's not how the media's playing it.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• DCA FTW!

I just checked out a lot of info on 7 it's a lot like vista but with cut back visual features. I guess to make it more computer friendly.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

There is much more info out there on 7 then this week.. Microsoft did their big developers conference around it over 2 months ago. This is just the mainstream media catching up because Microsoft showed at CES and made the beta date official. You are catching the press releases of what's been established for awhile.

The good news is the early reports were stability was very good for the state of the software, and the evolutionary things done beyond what Vista started were very good.

Vista was a very painful first step into many new areas... the first step was the most painful.. now the second steps will be easier. Vista will go down as the sacrificial lamb on many fronts to build the future on.

Am I evil? yes, I am

I think you are too kind to Vista. With over 50 million lines of code it was far to bloated for it's own good.

Vista has become Windows Poisoned Fruit, and they are trying to distance themselves as fast as possible from it. With people loving their iPods, and hating Vista, Micro-soft for the first time in years is really feeling the pinch from Apple and more and more people defecting to Firefox, nobody useing MSN as a seach engine, they have to plug a lot of holes.

Microsoft spent the last ten years trying to get everyone on it's OS 'standardized with XP, which has become the defacto PC platform for business and home PC's as the marrying of both Windows 95 and Windows 98, and Windows NT and Windows 2000 (and oh yeah that other turkey Windows ME).

Vista was allready a hard sell to get people to pay big bucks for a differant OS when their systems were already(almost) stable, but to give us a platform that was not compatable with many new or old (non MS) progams, and given it's buggy nature, it olny makes sense that nobody wanted it (especially in the business market where MS makes most of it's big bucks).

It's very similar to the blue ray/ DVD issue also facing customers ... "what I have now is good enough, why spend more to get little return?"

• Pilot EdForceOne

there are tons of advantages - the problem is they get lost in the crushing scale that is a new OS

Win7 has the same problem.. so much of its benefits are the small advancements all over.

Vista took huge steps.. and the pain of doing it was felt fully and it got a bad rap it will never shake. Its very much like the original OSX and how ugly the compatibility and stability was then as well. But the audience you were abusing was so much smaller and dedicated to you anyways they suffered through.

With the huge variations out there in the PC world (byproduct of choice) there is still just tons of sloppy stuff out there. Combine that with compatibility issues, and the issues you had with Vista proper are now snowballed into death incarnate.

I'm still running 32bit XP at home... but I'd like to use Vista. But honestly I'm not willing to burden myself with more challenges, so I stick with what I got. I'd really like to have 64bit.. but same story. For me, its not worth the hassle right now. I don't tinker with computers anymore.. they are meant to be tools, not passions.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

You can hear some expert opinion on the topic in this TWIT episode.. devoted fully to Win7 vs Vista back from November after the PDC.

The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte

Am I evil? yes, I am

• враг народа

Blog Entries

What I'm interested in is, what versions of Windows is Microsoft not counting?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I run XP Media Center Edition on the desktop (which is 3 years old), but the laptop (which I'm posting from and is a year old) runs Vista. If it came preloaded on your PC, Vista isn't that bad. But upgrading from XP to Vista has been a literal nightmare for many.

But I can all but guarantee my next laptop WILL be a 17" MacBook Pro. The new ones announced this week at MacWorld are so pretty! An 8 hour battery, comes with 4GB RAM and can run on up to 8GB? Yeah.... mama like.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    True, but the way the media is hyping it is like 7's official release is Friday. They're all but saying that Microsoft is giving up.

Sure it won't phase Vista out completely until at least 5 years from now, there's still millions out there who still use XP and earlier, but that's not how the media's playing it.
    Heck, my work computer is still running Windows 2000.

My new PC has Vista, and I haven't had any problems with it. I had a crash about a month ago, but I don't think it had anything to do with Vista.

I do wonder how my PC would run with XP though. If there was an easy way to tranfer, I'd probably do it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My biggest complaint about Vista is that it's a serious memory hog. Worse than XP. You need a minimum 2GB of RAM for Vista to run decently. I upgraded the laptop to 3GB back in November (Best Buy had a great deal on 2GB chips at the time) and it runs quite well now. Even boots up & shuts down faster than when it ran on the original 1GB the laptop came with. I might get another 2GB chip sometime this year to run the max 4GB allowable on this machine.