• Minion

Host Monster vs. ICD Soft vs Others

Ok second attempt to post this (ironically the server failed to work the last time so I lost my effort).

I am looking to try and start up a web hosting service. It is not going to be anything fancy, just a basic web site for my law office (offering info to potential clients, ability to email for meets, etc). I won't be selling anything and do not anticipate any major level of traffic.

I'd also like to get my own e-mail domain setup just for the professional look (again not anticipating any significant level of traffic).

So far I've narrowed it down to HM or ICD but would be open to any other places. My goal is to keep it under $ 10 a month for now since it is more just a minor expansion of practice (if it grows I can always upgrade to bigger/better/etc service).

I'd like it to be a fairly simple system to use (although I am a techno nerd I don't need this to be too complex) but with the option to get a little fancy if I want to (IE using extensions, etc).

So assuming the server works this time, what do you think ? I figure a lot of you have web sites and/or know people so you could offer insight as to where to go.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Down Pluto!

Re: Host Monster vs. ICD Soft vs Others

You are going to start up a web hosting service? I wouldn't recommend a host reseller that is only $10/month. How much volume are you planning to host for others? There are many questions to be answered when someone sets about to become a host.

Also - I'm not seeing the connection to your law office. Is your practice going to be in providing web service for yourself and your clients?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

No I want to hire a web hosting service. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology.

All I want is a web site for my law office so people can come to see it and get information on my services and if they want the ability to e-mail to ask questions, etc.

I also want to get a @lawoffice.com type email setup for them to e-mail me at.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Down Pluto!

Ahh. Now I understand.

There are a number of low-cost places that have great features. The majority are reasonably good. The biggest problem I have found is service. How the low cost places work is they lease a dedicated server or several from the "host" who runs the server farm. (Usually a vast sea of server stacks in an environmentally controlled, secure bunker.) Because they lease the servers, divide the space/resources up for resale (re-hosting) and become hosts themselves - they have only interface control of what is happening. If memory goes bad, a hard drive starts losing sectors, a multiplexer or router gets flakey, they can't fix that. Your trouble request to your low-cost host would then get re-written by your host and sent to theirs where it is investigated.

You pay for the difference in cost with service delays. If your online presence has a dollar value, it will become a consideration. If it matters not that your site is offline for a trouble call for a day or three (much longer on holiday weekends), then saving a few dollars a month may work for you.

• Just this guy......

I have had several friends recommend Dream Host.

Their base price is 5.95 a month.

http://dreamhost.com

Dream Host!

• Down Pluto!

Be wary of any host who advertises "unlimited disk space and bandwidth". There is no such thing, and it shows they are not knowledgable, or are deliberately exagerating just to get your business. Neither is acceptable IMHO.

The storage may be vast and bandwidth may be unmetered - but it is NEVER unlimited. There are always a finite number of hard drives, and fiber lines available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Be wary of any host who advertises "unlimited disk space and bandwidth". There is no such thing, and it shows they are not knowledgable, or are deliberately exagerating just to get your business. Neither is acceptable IMHO.

The storage may be vast and bandwidth may be unmetered - but it is NEVER unlimited. There are always a finite number of hard drives, and fiber lines available.
    I give DreamHost a pass on that one. Other providers that cater to small customers, like GoDaddy, make the same claims on their site.

Yeah, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, but most of their customers will never approach the actual limits. Larger companies needing an "enterprise solution" or a mass market e-commerce site are likely to have their own IT professionals and would never consider a service like DreamHost anyway.

I've used DreamHost for years with out any problems, but there are definitely other choices out there if you're concerned about their honesty.

• Minion

Howdy gang

So I am pretty sure I am going to start with Hostmonster, seems to have what I want. Pretty much all I am looking to do is to see if a web site really brings me much work (I have a bankruptcy law practice so I am not sure it will) and also wanting to host a blog. HM seems to be the place to start, I can always move later if I need to.

Any thoughts on good web design software or can I do it online at HM ?

• Down Pluto!

Are you interested in WYSIWYG or coding?

• Minion

Either or both works for me

• Down Pluto!

My tool of choice is Macromedia's Homesite 5.5. New from Adobe is $99. I think I paid under $50 before Adobe took it over.

I use MS SharePoint Designer at work - because we are a SharePoint shop for Web Content Management. SP Designer is good but only because it natively integrates with SharePoint and seamlesly works around all the .NET web parts.

Homesite is still the easiest to use tool I have tried. It does everything I need and does it simply.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

If you are still looking for web hosting, send me a PM I run my own hosting company. I dont oversell and can create a customer plan to your needs.

You can also click the link in my Signature or send me a email at anthony(a)3dxhosting.com

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala