• there's always my way...

Best I[S]P in town?

Hey folks I have a huge favor to ask ya, I hate my ISP , it is Comcast HS Internet. Are there any better ISP's out there that can hook a brother up for less than a bajillion dollars a month and is fast?

Tell me what ya got and how ya like it. AOL does not count so don t say it. ~
    Last edited by Mr.DooDah; 09-15-2005 at 07:40 AM.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• And, THEN she said...

Re: Best I[S]P in town?

Im currently with Amerion and i love them..good dial up connection...nice and quick and ive had very few disconnects..you can sign up on line and if you dont have a credit card like me you can sign up under the check option and send in a money orderand 15 e mail accounts are included as well as 250 MB of web space, spam/virus protection, and optional family safe filtering all for 9.95 a month to start its 20.00 but thats first month plus connection fee check em out you might like em not sure if you can get them out there but its worth a try!

http://www.amerion.com

• And, THEN she said...

damn double posts!
    Last edited by Groomer; 09-14-2005 at 04:31 PM.

• That's Hawt

I have SBC DSL at home and it seems pretty reliable. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I've used Earthlink since 1998-99 I think it was, and I haven't had any problems with them. I just ordered DSL from them so I don't know how that will work.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'm very happy with AT&T DSL
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

SBC's been fairly good to us.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Señor User

I've had DSL from Earthlink since Flashcom went belly-up several years ago. Been very happy with them - good customer service and no down-time that I can think of (other than scheduled maintenance every once in a while but since it is always at 3:00 in the morning it has never been an issue.
    I need to get a life...

• Banned User

is it just me or is it weird that some ISPs say you have to sign up over the internet? that means they are only catering to the people who already have internet. Do these places provide a modem if you need one?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah
    Tell me what ya got and how ya like it. AOL does not count so don't say it.
    I have.. Never mind...

• Minion FOREVER!

Been w/ Earthlink since before the Mindspring merge.
    Have had Earthlink DSL since they started that service (gotta be since 98?
    Sorry, I don't remember).

They're actually pretty good. Although it's over SBC lines, the quality (from
    what I hear from neighbors who have SBC DSL) have been better and overall
    the service better as well. However, the phone service (although good for DSL
    specific service) is erratic for run-of-the-mill questions. Some really good people
    and some that are only so-so.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I have RoadRunner cable internet service (through Time Warner), have had it for about 3 years now, and love it.

Hardly ever been down, and my download speeds beat out most DSL!
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Earthlink DSL is just fine and dandy for the basic user - one computer, direct connection to the DSL Modem.

The services work just fine, they still support Usenet Newsgroups (if you want to go to news:alt.disney.disneyland and see where this whole mess got started), and they can handle support issues for the basic user just fine. BUT. (And you just knew there was a "but" coming, didn't you?)

Problem is, I'm not a basic user by any stretch - the first-level tech support people are working from a script, and they can't help you if you have a router and multiple computers on a network at home, even if you are 100% sure it's not your problem. You have to strip it all down to one computer straight into the DSL Modem, and then (and only then) they'll try to help you.

Recently, I've started thinking I've outgrown them...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Problem is, I'm not a basic user by any stretch - the first-level tech support people are working from a script, and they can't help you if you have a router and multiple computers on a network at home, even if you are 100% sure it's not your problem. You have to strip it all down to one computer straight into the DSL Modem, and then (and only then) they'll try to help you.
    Agreed, but then generally, Tech. Support isn't needed when you get to our level. I just call Charter, and ask when the service will be back up [and get my day's credit too].

Charter still has usenet support (Great for the binaries newsgroups), and gives you several different e-mail options. (Even though I don't use them!)
    -Monorail Man

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

WARNING: Geek Speak Ahead. Enter at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    Agreed, but then generally, Tech. Support isn't needed when you get to our level. I just call Charter, and ask when the service will be back up [and get my day's credit too].

Charter still has usenet support (Great for the binaries newsgroups), and gives you several different e-mail options. (Even though I don't use them!)
    I'm tempted to switch to DSLExtreme for a few reasons - a static IP, SDSL (fast uploads, too), they allow you to run your own servers as long as there's no abuse going on, and LOCAL support people in Chatsworth. They say they have diagnostic access to the DSLAM at the switchroom. If the service dies, they can quickly find out if the problem is at my house, in the outside plant, the DSLAM itself, or the backhaul DS1 data line to them.

There might be someone who can do that at Earthlink, but he or she is hiding behind three layers of Tech Non-Support phone droids based in India, and two Vice President's offices. My line dies, I start working my way towards a solution, and it usually comes back up on it's own before I get there.

I haven't been able to reach a real ELN geek directly yet - the people in Pasadena and Atlanta who really run the network and can solve a problem in 10 seconds and/or 10 keystrokes once they know about it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1