Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Vista install disk

I'm looking to do a fresh install of Windows Vista on my laptop to remove any of the trialware installed before I got it. If anyone has a Vista disk they're willing to let me borrow that would be awesome. Your Vista disk is not tied to your license key so there is no worry about that. All Vista install disks are the same it just matters which code you put that installs which version.

So if you live in or around north San Diego county and wouldn't mind letting me borrow a Vista installation disk, please let me know.

Guide that I'm using.
    Installing Vista Clean, With No Crapware | directedge.us

•   

Re: Vista install disk

I know you want this request to be simple, but Microsoft has done their best to make this NOT simple.

What version of Vista is your license key for? There are many different flavors of Vista. There's the full install or upgrade, and then there's Home, Business and Ultimate. Actually, there are several different sub versions of each of those, but you get the idea.

Finally, what type of computer do you have? If you have a Dell, you will need a Dell branded CD/DVD.

There's actually a lot more to this, but I think you get the idea.

So, in order to help you out, can you state EXACTLY what version of Vista your license key is for? Then, someone might be able to help you out. There's nothing worse than installing the OS and then finding out that your license key won't work. And, YES, at least with XP, you can do a complete install of the OS and then find out you have to redo the whole thing with a different CD.

• Minion

As quoted from the guide that I'm using as reference.

Disc Definitions
    There is no such thing as a "Home Premium Vista" disc, or an "Ultimate Vista" disc!!!! ALL VISTA DISCS CONTAIN ALL VERSIONS OF VISTA. The thing that determines what version of Vista you have is the License Key that you have. You may have a sticker on it that says "Vista Business" or "Vista Home Premium", but IT IS A LIE. Your disc *may* be forced to install a certain version, (see "CUSTOM OEM Vista Disc" below) but it still contains all versions. It is possible to modify this disc so you can use it to install any version (that you have a license for).

There are many types of Vista discs out there, here is the "official" terminology of what they mean (each of these discs come in 2 versions, 32bit and 64bit):

Anytime Upgrade Disc This disc contains all versions of Vista, unmodified as Microsoft is shipping it. It is sometimes included for free with your system, or can be purchased online for under $10. This purchase price does NOT include a license or serial number, it is only the installation media. It is intended so you can upgrade from one version of Vista to another by purchasing a license online. This is the type of disc you need to do a clean install.

Recovery Disc These disc(s) contain an image of your computer as of when you got it. They can be used to restore your system to the EXACT state as when you first opened the box and turned it on for the first time. Vista is on these discs, but so is all the bloatware. The images are encrypted, and cannot be modified to be used for a clean install. It's best to burn these for yourself using the included recovery disc creation tools, but you can also usually buy them.

Vista Retail Disc These discs are the ones you buy at the store in a shiny Vista box. They include a license and serial number for a particular version of Vista. The contents of the disc are IDENTICAL to the contents of the Anytime Upgrade Discs. These discs are expensive because you are buying a license along with them. You already have a license for Vista on your laptop, so there's no need to buy another one to do a clean install.

OEM Vista Disc These discs sometimes get shipped with your system, and are IDENTICAL to the Vista Retail and Anytime Upgrade discs. The main difference here is in the licensing from the OEM (HP, Dell, etc...).

CUSTOM OEM Vista Disc These seems to be showing up more recently, especially with Dell systems. Some OEMs ship Vista discs that have been modified to include changes such as forcing the disc to only install a certain Vista version, and also include integrated drivers. You can probably do a clean install with them, but you might need to modify the disc before you do it. See the next section for details.

I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 (although it says dv9500 in the system info) with Vista Home Premium.

•   

OK.

I stand corrected.

I see that they have made a change with Vista. Sorry for the incorrect info. I have what you need. PM me your schedule. I will be in OC Fri afternoon through Sunday morning.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    OK.

I stand corrected.

I see that they have made a change with Vista. Sorry for the incorrect info. I have what you need. PM me your schedule. I will be in OC Fri afternoon through Sunday morning.
    I was surprised when I read that too. I'm used to having a certain version on a specific disk. If it says "this", there's "this" on the disk. For a while I was even making my own custom install disks for XP so it would only install certain things, drivers would already be installed as well as other programs I use often. I even had it set up to enter all of the registration information. So reading that they had a new install setup was definitely a shock.

Thank you for your help and your offer though, I very much appreciate it and didn't expect a response or an offer this quickly.

I'll PM it to you too but I'm free anytime Friday - Monday.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    OK.

I stand corrected.

I see that they have made a change with Vista.
    Yes - MS did this so they can sell upgrades easier It's only a control panel thing to do a upgrade now - not a reinstall of the OS.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I just deleted all the bloatware that came on my laptop without having to reinstall Vista and it works just fine.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I need to go through and do all this too.

Why mess with Vista at all? Why not load XP?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I tried that, and it would not work. If a machine is bought with Vista, you cannot go backward to XP. I tried that on an HP Pavillion, and it could not be done. The machine was built for Vista, and it had to remain that way.

• Pilot EdForceOne

You didn't do it right unfortunately Barbara - downgrade to XP is part of the license actually. But early on they didn't make it easy on it.

Edit: now if you can get the drivers and everything else for your hardware... that's a different story
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You didn't do it right unfortunately Barbara - downgrade to XP is part of the license actually. But early on they didn't make it easy on it.
    Actually, it was my husband who thought that we could do a downgrade. I known very little about the workings of a computer. Long story, short, he tried, and it did not work. I wouldn't have a clue what to do.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I just deleted all the bloatware that came on my laptop without having to reinstall Vista and it works just fine.
    I could and I have been doing that but it still leaves bits and pieces behind. Plus with everything that's left on the machine whether it be from a vendor or myself, I like doing a clean install every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Why mess with Vista at all? Why not load XP?
    I thought about going back to XP, but I think Vista is pretty. I would need to buy another license for XP anyway and why should I when Windows 7 is coming out in the not too distant future?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I tried that, and it would not work. If a machine is bought with Vista, you cannot go backward to XP. I tried that on an HP Pavillion, and it could not be done. The machine was built for Vista, and it had to remain that way.
    Doesn't seem quite right . . . maybe it's a driver issue.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

Edit: now if you can get the drivers and everything else for your hardware... that's a different story
    As far as my drivers go they're all stored in a folder on my drive that I can just copy over to the new install. I can get a number of them from the HP website as well.

I don't consider XP a downgrade, it's the most stable, and compatible OS that Microsoft has spent 10 years to 'perfect'. Shame they threw it out the window to give us a bloated glitchy resource hungry platform as Vista.

my 10year old XP computer finally crashed a couple of weeks back. I replaced it with a surplus computer from the local college for two reasons. 1. It was $150, which is a screaming deal. I salvaged my old hard drive so I was able to recover most of my files and 2. I had the choice of istalling XP Pro or Vista... a no brainer. XP!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    . I had the choice of istalling XP Pro or Vista... a no brainer. XP!

Install ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast