Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Mozilla Firefox help

I have been having problems with Mozilla Firefox as of late. It started when I got home from vacation. Now my puter was off the entire time and there were no storms or anything. At first, it was crashing a few times a day and then getting REALLY slow and slow to come up. So I backed up my bookmarks un-installed it and then re-installed and put my bookmarks back on. That was this morning and it was going just fine until now. When I was doing my trip report and it crashed on me again and I lost all of it.

My puter is not overheating, the puter itself is not slow, I have no audio or video problems and IE works very well when I have been using it these past few days.

The only minor problem with my computer is the fan in the very front of the case that is REALLY loud and almost makes a grinding/buzzing noise, but I was told that that wasn't important and doesn't affect anything.

Can someone help me with this problem? Or tell me how to put my firefox bookmarks onto IE? I am at a loss and so are my dad and brother who have been trying to help me via phone and e-mail.

Thanks.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Re: Mozilla Firefox help

Maybe something is up with Firefox lately? I am not a techie kinda person, so I am of little help, but I can tell you that I have been experiencing the same things lately. My laptop is 4 years old and I just assumed it was my computer.

• Senior Minion

I have firefox version 3.0.7 and after some searching, it seems version 3 has problems. I'm just not sure if going back to version 2 is a good idea as there is no more security stuff for it being made.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• I'm not really here

I use version 3.0.7 and it has worked fine without a problem.

How many tabs do you have open at any given time? Firefox 3 does have a memory leak that can cause it to just use up tons of memory until Windows decides to kill the process. Do you leave Firefox open when you are away from the computer? Or for extended periods of time?

Are you running windows or mac? Are there other pages that are open when you are running firefox? Is there a particular task you are doing when it crashes each time? (viewing a video? blogging, etc?)

Firefox 3.1 will be out soon and I recommend upgrading to that as soon as it comes out.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

I can have 1 tab or 3 tabs and it does it, but usually 2 tabs. I do usually leave it up when i'm not around if i'm looking at something or reading something and had to walk away for some reason.
    I do have a PC, no particular task when it crashes, usually just viewing a website like this or something.

And is there a fix for this memory leak? I've heard that mentioned on one of the sites I was looking at about the crashing. But i've used firefox pretty much since it came out and never had this problem before.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Did you jsut try to reinstall Firefox?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Did you jsut try to reinstall Firefox?
    Yep, did that this morning and this afternoon it crashed when I was doing my TR.

• Im the fun mommy :)

check for viruses and either try to update fire fox or re set to another time? go back to a different version? maybe any of these can help you. my mom has troubles with hers to.
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto4 View Post
    check for viruses and either try to update fire fox or re set to another time? go back to a different version? maybe any of these can help you. my mom has troubles with hers to.
    I did a virus check, ran spybot and ad-aware today and it's all clean and I have the latest version of firefox.
    Re-setting it is a possibility, i'll ask my dad and brother more tonight and tomorrow what they think since I sent them some sites I found about it.

I had the same problem a few months ago. I called Geeksquad and they came out to fix it....they removed Firefox and I don't use it anymore...I just saved you $200!!!

My best score ever!

• Water rides are evil.

The most likely culprit is a corrupted profile. Make a new one and import your bookmarks into it. The corruption doesn't happen often but when it does, it will cause some odd things including crashing. Uninstalling Firefox does not delete your profile.

As for geeksquad...... if they uninstalled Firefox and left you with IE as your browser..... they aren't very geeky.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't had any issues with my Firefox and I have the latest version. I use it at work too because it's way more secure than IE. I could do with IE altogether, but there are still some sites out there that haven't gotten a clue yet and still optimize for IE (losers).

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    The most likely culprit is a corrupted profile. Make a new one and import your bookmarks into it. The corruption doesn't happen often but when it does, it will cause some odd things including crashing. Uninstalling Firefox does not delete your profile.
    This is my guess as well.

Also...

Have you installed any add-ons, applications or toolbars to Firefox lately? Particularly, My Web Search or Smiley Central, for example?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post

As for geeksquad...... if they uninstalled Firefox and left you with IE as your browser..... they aren't very geeky.
    What is a profile and how do I make a new one and import my bookmarks into it? I am clueless but if you think it will help, I am more than willing to try it. Thanks!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    This is my guess as well.

Also...

Have you installed any add-ons, applications or toolbars to Firefox lately? Particularly, My Web Search or Smiley Central, for example?
    Ugh! Those two right there are a b*tch to get rid of!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast