• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

iTunes tiered pricing goes live April 7

Apple has figured out a way to gouge the consumer again. New tiered pricing goes into effect on April 7. Popular songs will now go for $1.29 each, with the rest going for $.99 and $.69.

ITunes: iTunes "Popular Songs Cost More Money" Pricing Goes Live April 7

Originally promised to launch on April 1, iTunes' new tiered pricing plan—with popular songs running $1.29, and not-so-popular songs fetching as little as 69 cents—will go live on April 7. The LA Times says that the pricing structure will be based on popularity, "true to supply-and-demand economics." (Except that you know, there is limitless supply here, but whatever.) New artists will be the ones most likely to have their tracks sold for 69 cents a pop. Even classics that are perpetually loved by the masses—the LA Times mentions "Born in the USA" could go for $1.29.
    99 cents is such a psychologically satisfying price—it's not even a dollar, as this really annoying Coke radio ad I kept hearing over the weekend pounded into my brain. It doesn't take a genius to see that $1.29 tracks are going to sell way less than they would if they were 99 cents, because the purchase officially moves from impulse level to the lower rung of "well, lemme think about it" territory. [LA Times - Thanks Ray!]

Here is a link to Amazon's music store.

Amazon.com MP3 Downloads: Free music, bestselling songs from $.79, most albums $8.99 or lower. Compatible with MP3 players, including the iPod®.

Music costs less, is DRM free and they are always having sales on albums as well as offering free music. You download a small helper app and it even loads the music straight into iTunes for you.

Re: iTunes tiered pricing goes live April 7

This has been forced onto Apple by the record companies, they have long wanted a tiered pricing structure and Apple has resisted until now. But with the iTouch applications selling ap's for whatever price point has been assigned, the record labels complained even lounder.

I suspect that If it ruins the successful business model already established of one price point, they can always return to the 99 cent price point.

I honestly think that the record companies expect this to fail, but it's a loss they are willing to take, to push more consumers to other sites (Amazon, [the laughable]Zune, ect.) to wrench some power away from iTunes.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

iTunes sucks.

the end.

iTunes may suck, but it's the only successful digital business model the Record Labels have been able to rely on, and have hated that.

iTunes charges $.99 per track when they are competing with FREE on the internet. And so far have done well, though by their own admission only 3% of music on any given iPod is purchased from the iTunes Music Store. I suspect the new price structure will fail,and the labels will blame Apple. Considering the low overhead for digital delivery of music, the price structure could be lowered to $. 49 (or less), and everybody could still make money.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Just one more reason I prefer Rhapsody.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, I usually want the random "older, obscure" tracks, so the 69˘ pricing works for me.

I doubt the songs you want will actually be less than $.99. Classic evergreen tunes, and I'm sure rare sought after tunes will not drop in price.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I accept that challenge. Some of the stuff I like is so obscure it might not ever be on iTunes. But I bet I can find at least one song I'd want that will be less than 99˘.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I accept that challenge. Some of the stuff I like is so obscure it might not ever be on iTunes. But I bet I can find at least one song I'd want that will be less than 99˘.
    I have a lot of stuff that isn't available at iTunes, but I still think that the songs at $.69 will be songs that nobody have ever heard of, struggling independent artists, and songs so bad that you wonder 'What were they thinking!?' I suspect most songs will go to $1.29

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Gizmodo - iTunes Tiered Pricing Goes Live, We Get Gently Screwed - Itunes tiered pricing

Gizmodo was not able to find a single .69 song on their own. iTunes now has a link to go to there offerings though. I'll have to check once I get home to see what they're offering.

It's going to be harder to compete with 'free'. Thank you RIAA, you just screwed yourself harder than a drunken tourist in Hamburgs cabaret district