• Still lost in Neverland

Unusual Problem with DVD Burner

I have been burning DVD's with this drive for months with no problem. Now all of sudden it won't recognize blank DVD's. I even watched the My Computer panel and it's Drive D. Empty it sits there as a DVD/CD ram drive. But when I put a blank DVD into the drawer and close it, it changes to a CD Drive and refuses to work. I just got a device and program to capture Video Tapes and transefer then to my computer, edit the video, add titles and transistions and so forth and then burn a DVD. I just did this yesterday and today it won't work. It keep popping the drawer open and telling me to place a blank disc in the burner and I do, but it rejects the blank DVD. I will play a DVD with no problem, a blank CD changes it into a CD device and when I eject the blank CD or DVD it reverts back to showing a DVD/CD burner. I am at my wits end. I have turned the system off and on and that didn't work. It's a Dell system and is a very high end machine, but I am at a loss on what to do about this.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• DJ Ben

Re: Unusual Problem with DVD Burner

You might have to do a system restore, that will probably corect all the errors that might be causing the problem. If you have a late model PC with Vista you should be able to do a system restore by first turning off your computer then as soon as you press the power button back on press F11 repeatedly and it will take you to the rebooting screen, then just follow the on screen instructions. Hope this works

I got this computer specifically with Windows XP Proffessional because certain gaming programs I play will no work on Vista and it has too many glitches. Now here's the funny thing, after posting this I turned the computer totally off for a couple of hours and when I turned it back on, everything worked perfectly. I just finished burning a two hour video and am about to look at it on my DVD player.
    Thanks for the idea, but not having Vista I can't do that.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Down Pluto!

Actually, you can set restore points in XP Professional...

Start - Help and Support - Undo changes to your computer with System Restore

From there you can set restore points and/or select which one you want to go back to.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• DJ Ben

That's what I did with my other computer that has Windows XP, I installed a software called System Tech XP and was able to do restore points up to 3 months back and if I took out partitions I could go back even farther but it can mess up you're computer if you delete the wrong things.

That's why I don't mess with anything to do that can change the wrong things. I don't know enough about all the internal stuff so I just don't even go there. I have a tech friend who can help. But this happened once before but I didn't see the fact that the drive was changing from DVD-RAM to CD-RAM everytime I put a blank DVD in the drawer. It also fixed itself after awhile. If it keeps happening I will ask my friend if he can take a look. It's just so strange.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Down Pluto!

No need for extra software (that's where the mess ups come from) - System Restore comes with XP. You can't mess things up because all you do is:

1. set a restore point (a click then an opportunity to enter a descriptive message)

or

2. restore a previous version by selecting a date from the calendar (and read the message if you left one) and clicking restore.

If you selected the wrong one - no problem you can always go back.

You can even set it up to automatically generate a restore point before any big system change (like updating a driver or installing hardware). It is possibly the SAFEST Windows utility you can use. It's safer than defragging!!!!

I used to think it was hocus-pocus, but once I used it - I swear by it. It has saved my bacon many times! Windows does enough to mess you up, but this utility isn't of that ilk. It actually works and works as advertised - and is simple to use. To be afraid of it is just black helicopter thinking.

I hate to admit this, but I don't have even the vaguest idea of what you are talking about. Restore Points? I have no idea what that is as I have never done it before. I have no idea what it means to "Set a Restore Point". I am deathly afraid of going into anything that is part of the System. I know nothing about how the thing works. Defragging is something I do occasionally. Usually only after I have deleted a lot of stuff off the drive. I haven't done that since getting this no system. The C drive has plenty of room and I haven't deleted much of anything. The big 500gb external drive has less than a 1/4 of it's available space used so I see no need to copy picture or movie files to a CD or DVD at this point. That is probably a stupid idea, but I hate defragging. I am not a technical person. I can figure out how to make most programs run and do what I want. I know nothing about the internal functioning of the computer itself. That's for the tech guys that put this thing together for me after Dell delivered the system and they added some stuff they knew I would need.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Water rides are evil.

Just because I have to say it.....Vista doesn't have "too many glitches." Most people forget that everything people hear about Vista now was heard about XP when it came out.

Anyway....here's how you access system restore: Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur

Follow the instructions there and you will be able to restore to a previous point. Hope it helps.

Vista may be OK, but you can't run Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 on it. That's why I have XP Professional. I create Theme Parks using this Game.

That restore information is something that makes sense. I will keep it in case this happens again. But I have a question. Even though they say it won't affect my date, if I pick a date before Studio 12 was installed, won't that also remove that program? I don't actually remember when the problem occurred but I had made a few DVD's before that and then more after the installation and the drive worked fine. After I shut the system down for a couple of hours after the failure, when I started it up again it was working fine and I made another DVD with no problem. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. And to me it makes no sense how a device can simply change what it is.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 04-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Vista may be OK, but you can't run Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 on it. That's why I have XP Professional. I create Theme Parks using this Game.

That restore information is something that makes sense. I will keep it in case this happens again. But I have a question. Even though they say it won't affect my date, if I pick a date before Studio 12 was installed, won't that also remove that program?
    Yes. That is the beauty of it. You can get rid of problem causing stuff easily with no muss-no fuss. If you had a problem before you installed Studio - restoring won't help as you lose everything (program wise - not data wise) after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I don't actually remember when the problem occurred but I had made a few DVD's before that and then more after the installation and the drive worked fine. After I shut the system down for a couple of hours after the failure, when I started it up again it was working fine and I made another DVD with no problem. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. And to me it makes no sense how a device can simply change what it is.
    Sometimes it is the blank media. I had some DVD's that about 20% would not register as a DVD. Using a different disc manufacturer solved that. Could have been a bad batch - could have been marginally compatible with my burner - who knows?

I have two different burners now and each of them has at least one manufacturer they don't work well with. Fortunately they are different so I can just use the other device.