Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Problem with Itunes store AND Amazon.com downloads

I've contacted both Itunes and Amazon about this, but they can't seem to help.

I've been having this problem for probably a month or so now.

When I go to access the Itunes store I get this pop-up:

Itunes could not connect to the Itunes store. The network connection timed out.
    Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again.

I've used the Itunes store before, as recently as March 7th. Not sure what changed.

Then last night I download the Amazon MP3 dowloader to buy some stuff. I downloaded the player just fine, yet when I buy a song, I get the following message:

Can't connect, check your Internet connection.

I contacted Amazon, they said to check my settings and re-install. As far as I can tell, my settings are fine.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Problem with Itunes store AND Amazon.com downloads

That's weird . I've never had a problem with either. Maybe you should reboot your modem or something?

• Hall Of Promise

Are you using a proxy or special gateway to connect to the internet? Also, are you using a broadband connection?

Check your firewall as well, as some programs may be blocked from connecting to the internet.

• Water rides are evil.

Firewall or new install or upgrade of anti-virus software. This sounds like the port is blocked for those specific downloads.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I would def. say reinstall. I've had a couple problems before, and that has fixed it for me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

iTunes uses standard HTTP traffic to get to the itunes store. iTunes also automatically adds an exception for itself (so much for security, eh apple?) to the Windows Firewall.

If you use Windows Firewall, on the Exceptions tab, you should see one for itunes. You could also simply disable the entire firewall to test. If you are using an anti-virus suite or something else as a firewall, check there as well. Turn it off temporarily to test.

iTunes itself does not have network settings, but instead relies on the underlying OS in Windows. If you use IE for a browser, your browser and iTunes should behave the same. But if you are using another browser, it can contain it's own network settings and not look at the IE/OS network settings. This could explain why web browsing works, but other applications don't.

I'd check the network connection properties and look for a proxy setup. If you are on a normal broadband connection, you probably are not using a proxy and all of this should be empty.

Goto Control Panel -> Internet Options. Click on Connections Tab. Click on LAN Settings button at the bottom. In the window that opens, EVERYTHING should be blank and clear. If not, unmark all checkboxes and save the changes. Only if your ISP requires a proxy setup should you have anything defined here and that should be very clear from your ISP's setup instructions if they do.

In theory you could have DNS issues, but unlikely since Amazon also fails for you. But if you want to tinker.. the two hostnames iTunes starts off with for the store are

http://ax.init.itunes.apple.com/bag.xml
    Apple - Download music and more with iTunes. Play it all on iPod.

Try opening those in IE (not your usual browser). The first should return a xml page, the second should eventually redirect you to one of Apple's normal pages.

My bet is your Internet Options got tweaked by something.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I've tried all of that stuff and none of it worked. I checked the settings you indicated flynn and they were all un-checked. I've reinstalled, etc and nothing seems to work.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yeah, I've tried all of that stuff and none of it worked. I checked the settings you indicated flynn and they were all un-checked. I've reinstalled, etc and nothing seems to work.
    Were you able to hit those URLs with Internet Explorer?

If so.. the only thing that leaves is some sort of 3rd party security software interfering. What anti-virus or other software do you use?

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Gumball Rally Godfather

[Sidebar]
    I love using Amazon for my music downloads because I can rip ringers in iTunes with Amazon's downloads and I can't (at least that I'm aware of) with iTunes downloads.[/sidebar]

...and now back to our regularly scheduled I.T. problem.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Were you able to hit those URLs with Internet Explorer?

If so.. the only thing that leaves is some sort of 3rd party security software interfering. What anti-virus or other software do you use?
    Yeah, had no problems with the URL.

I'm using Norton Antivirus. I also just discovered that I'm having issues downloading ANYTHING. I tried to install the FlashPlayer update and was getting an error that it couldn't connect.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Norton has gotten too big for its britches and gets into places it should not. Not a fan of it anymore and I don't use it anymore. If you have just the plain jane AntiVirus, I don't think it has a personal firewall, but I would go into the UI for Norton and try to find anything about internet security or the like and disable for tests.

The other thing that is POSSIBLE, but unlikely is your computer is unable to verify certificates properly... either due to the wrong date/time or bad certificate trust lists.

Normally your list of trusted CAs is initially populated by Windows install and they update themselves and get new ones via Windows Update.

I'd verify you can goto a website you know to have a good certificate, but one you have NOT visited before and told it to accept any certificate warnings.

For instance, if you do not use Suntrust. Goto this URL https://www.suntrust.com/portal/server.pt in Internet Explorer. You should NOT get any certificate warnings when you try to open that HTTPS page. If you do.. your computer is not validating certificates correctly and that can cause applications that enforce TLS security to fail. You can open the certificate in the warning page and see what it doesn't like about the certificate. It should either be it doesn't like the valid dates or the issuing party. If it comes back and says the name doesn't match the certificate.. then that would be a sign your connection is actually being sent through a 3rd party unknowningly. That would be very bad in terms of you've been severely compromised.. but would be pretty uncommon.

If you can browse to URLs properly with IE.. have no firewalls.. and can validate certificates properly... I see no reason applications launched by your user can not use the network properly. It would be different if they are services, but things like iTunes would run under your user's context.. not the computer or service accounts. So your network properties are the same as what the application is using.

I'd be concerned if all the above tests out that your connection is actually being redirected without your knowledge. Some tests with a packet sniffer would verify that, but is not something you would probably be able to interpret on your own. But if the above tests do not work.. the packet sniffer is the best tool to identify if stuff is making it out on the net, and if it's dying at the network level, or application level.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Circle of Ancients

It was Norton. I turned it off and now Itunes store works. What a crock.

I think I'm gonna go another route. Any suggestions?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It was Norton. I turned it off and now Itunes store works. What a crock.

I think I'm gonna go another route. Any suggestions?
    Another route for what? AntiVirus? Use AVG
    AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation

Note, it's not an all encompassing 'internet suite' but that is normally a good thing.

You should be able to make Norton work with iTunes.

Here's one link from Apple blaming the latest update from Norton should include updated definitions to allow it to work

iTunes for Windows won't open if firewall software is not up-to-date

Some blurb from another link (I don't know if this maps to your version or not)
    "I have found a solution that works for me with windows XP. First restart the computer and don't start up itunes. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Status and Settings. Then click on personal firewall and then click on Configure, and click on the Programs tab. Scroll through the list of programs until you have goten to Apple itunes. Change the interntet Access to Permit All. Once you have saved these settings start up itunes. (Note always have to turn off Norton the first time I start up itunes after installing a new version so I can agree to the End users licence so I did this after that. That worked for me. Please tell me if this helps anyone."

It sounds like the personal firewall in Norton just isn't trusting iTunes, so it should be configured to do so. You may have accidentially triggered some setting in Norton to automatically block all new stuff without prompting you. I'd go through the settings and look for something related to how it accepts/denies connections. Look for block/exception type stuff in the UI.

The personal firewall in Windows is OK, its not perfect, but the type of stuff it can't do isn't the type of stuff most home users need to get into anyways.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Gregg, I'm using AVG anti-virus and it works great on my computer.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Just a warning, AVG is a bitch to get rid of if you ever want to uninstall.

I use CA Security Suite. I got it free from Road Runner (my internet provider). It does what it needs to do for the most part, so I'm happy with it.

I used to use Norton but it was a total memory hog. I don't miss it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast