• Minion

Need Internet Access Help

I am hoping someone here can advise me on how to solve a very odd problem.

I have U Verse for my internet, with a laptop connected via wireless and a desktop via ethernet.

The laptop works fine, as I am using it now. I can use it to connect either via wireless or ethernet.

The desktop however has an odd problem. When I try to connect via the same ethernet I've always used (and the same I used with the laptop) I cannot access anything on the net.

There is a connection. When I test the connection it works fine. It runs the automatic windows update fine and downloads files. Same with Quickbooks update, Apple Software updates, etc.

On the other hand when I try to access via any web browser, I get an error of no connection. It seems any time the system attempts an HTTP connection I get an error. Some of the updates also have this problem when they try to download files, though the check is fine (perhaps this is an FTP issue).

I've tried doing a complete resest to default on Windows Firewall (I've even tried turning it off entirely). I've also done the full rest on Internet Explorer.

I've run antivirus and spyware scans.

I consider myself pretty savy when it comes to computers but this one has me stumped. I can't figure out for the life of me what is blocking me from http access.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Water rides are evil.

Re: Need Internet Access Help

Are you using Norton Internet Security? If so, I would suggest turning it off or McAfee if you have that, then check to see if you have a connection. I've had issues where either of those have prevented web browsing.

• Just this guy......

I sounds like the problem is with your web browser and not really your connection. I would suggest that you start by looking at your security software and see if the firewall feature is set to high and is blocking you. Simply turning it off and seeing if you get out is a quick test. You can also try another web browser as a comparison. Just down load firefox or safari to your laptop and transfer it to your desktop.

Good luck. These sort of things are always a pain to trouble shoot.

• Minion

I appreciate the feedback so far.

I am not using Norton, just Windows firewall and I even tried turning that off.

I have also tried both IE and Safari and neither one works.

I can ping google.com but it won't come up in the browser.

I agree it's annoying. Obviously I could ultimately just reload Windows or worst case reformat hard drive and reload everyting. But that is time consuming.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Just this guy......

I know that you have tried running anti-virus software but let me recommend that you download and try this software:

Super anti-spyware

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

I have used it and it has caught things that the major software has missed.

And it's FREE!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    I appreciate the feedback so far.

I am not using Norton, just Windows firewall and I even tried turning that off.

I have also tried both IE and Safari and neither one works.

I can ping google.com but it won't come up in the browser.

I agree it's annoying. Obviously I could ultimately just reload Windows or worst case reformat hard drive and reload everyting. But that is time consuming.
    Open the Internet Options control panel and click on th econnections tab. Click on the lan settings button. Ensure no proxies are defined there unless needed by your ISP. That page should be completely empty in most configurations.

Look for similar proxy settings in your browser. (IE will use that control panel, other browsers may pickup settings from it, but usually have their own settings).

Another test to verify its purely a brower/web thing..

in a command prompt.. do
    Code:
    telnet www.google.com 80
    You should get just a cursor.. type anything and hit return. After that, you should get a ton of junk back (its the web server response saying bad request)

If that works.. the problem is purely in your brower/web settings. Check things like proxy settings, installed 3rd party filtering/toolbars, or if using IE, security settings (you can just use the reset default button in the Internet Options Control Panel)
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I will have to try these solutions, hope one will work.

Fortunately it is a relativelty minor annoyance in that I rarely use the desktop anymore. The main purpose is to store pictures, Ipod files, etc. My laptop is what I use 99% of the time.

Still as a techie, I can't stand something not working right.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

If you haven't already done so, delete all cookies and cached pages. Couldn't hurt.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

hmmm. can the desktop open a browser connection to the modem or router, like the admin screen for either one?

• Minion

I tried telnet and I got an error on Port 80, which makes me wonder if the issue is there.

Any ideas on what to do next ?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Open the Internet Options control panel and click on th econnections tab. Click on the lan settings button. Ensure no proxies are defined there unless needed by your ISP. That page should be completely empty in most configurations.

Look for similar proxy settings in your browser. (IE will use that control panel, other browsers may pickup settings from it, but usually have their own settings).

Another test to verify its purely a brower/web thing..

in a command prompt.. do
    Code:
    telnet www.google.com 80
    You should get just a cursor.. type anything and hit return. After that, you should get a ton of junk back (its the web server response saying bad request)

If that works.. the problem is purely in your brower/web settings. Check things like proxy settings, installed 3rd party filtering/toolbars, or if using IE, security settings (you can just use the reset default button in the Internet Options Control Panel)

• Pilot EdForceOne

an 'error'? what specifically did it say?

If you got something like 'connection refused' or 'could not open socket'.. then you have something like a personal firewall or anti-virus program blocking you.

if you can do

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    and get an IP address listed as it tries to ping.. then DNS is working. It would look something like

[code]Pinging www.l.google.com [209.85.227.103] with 32 bytes of data:[/quote]

The number listed will be different.. but if you get a number and that far.. DNS is working. If you actually get some ping replies (you should).. then you know network connectivity is working. The last thing then is the specific web port (80) and browser settings.

If another machine on the same network can get out.. it's not a network filter.. and is likely on the local machine. Look at things like security zone settings in Internet Options (default them if necessary) and look at any 3rd party 'security' or anti-virus programs installed. Nothing built-in to windows (prior to vista or 2008) would block outgoing web connections except

- incorrect network settings (but your ping test validates your settings)
    - incorrect/failing DNS (but your ping test validates this as good)
    - incorrect web proxy settings (check they are empty in Internet Options->Connections->Lan Settings)
    - security zones blocking some sites (just default them in Internet Options)

Anything beyond that would be 3rd party security software installed and malfuncting
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Finally solved the problem.

My ISP used to use a version of Norton for security but dropped it a while back so they had us uninstall Norton.

Turns out that (big surprise) the tendrils of Norton had not entirely been sucked out, there was something still hiding somewhere on the system.

I ran Uninstall and finally got Port 80 fixed.

But it was hidden, all of the Norton directories, etc were gone, the programs were shown as uninstalled, etc