Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    • Im the fun mommy :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    567

    2 ipods on one computer? how

    I have one, just purchasing another one for my daughter now ( ipod classic) but the computer says I can only have one account at a time. how does one have 2 at a time? I plan to get an external hard drive as she already has hundreds of songs on one ipod, now she needs the largest ipod when I put my ipod on my lap top it recognized it right away and said only one library at a time now what?
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

  2. #2

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    I've got like 4 Ipod's set up on my computer. Just have them set to "manually manage" instead of automatic and you should be fine.


  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, US
    Posts
    2,110

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    By only one account them mean iTunes, not the iPod. My wifes 80 gig, My daughters 80 gig, my other daughters first gen 1 gig Nano, and my 60 Gig iPod all sync to the same computer. iTunes recognizes them as being different and knows all the various options and settings for all of them (though it does tend to put all the playlists on all of them, but I'm sure that is the setting my kids have selected)

  4. #4

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,987
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    I have two iPods on my computer with no problems. I love my new iPod touch, and I just updated the songs on my Nano.

  5. #5

    • Im the fun mommy :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    567

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    it shows the ipod has music on it when I hooked it up, but does not show any music on it in itunes. so how do I set it to take 2 ipods?
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

  6. #6

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,773

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    I'm somewhat curious as well because I have a Nano, but I'm getting an iPhone this weekend. I did recently move my iTunes to my external hard drive I use between the laptop and the desktop, but...

  7. #7

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    When you plug in the new iPod, it will bring up a different device page for this one. You just need to choose what playlists are going to go on this.

    From then on, iTunes will recognize each device as it's own individual page.
    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  8. #8

    • You didn't see anything!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,514
    Blog Entries
    29

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I've got like 4 Ipod's set up on my computer. Just have them set to "manually manage" instead of automatic and you should be fine.
    Where is that within iTunes?


  9. #9

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eustis, Florida (45 minutes from WDW)
    Posts
    3,025

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    Now we have two computers...and two separate iPods. And I've downloaded/purchased some movies, my husband has as well. I would love to watch his copy of the WallE on my ipod. Can I just go down, connect my ipod on his itunes and download it? I guess I never really thought about it until now.

    I'm the one with the thousands of CDs. He only has a few and tends towards podcasts and movies.

    I never knew about this.

    I'm so going to start combining!

    Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

  10. #10

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    I think what she is referring to is that itunes can only support one library.

    Her other ipod is synched to another library, so when you plug it in, itunes is not happy and will not synch it.

    You also have the fact of which apple store identities the computer and ipod are authorized to play.

    You can add more authorizations to a computer - you can not change the library identity.

    I think what sailer and clinks were referring to is having multiple devices all synching to the same itunes library. that is all automatic. But bringing an ipod to a computer that used to be synched to another computer, itunes will not jive with until you wipe the ipod by synching it to this library.

    You can not use 'manually manage' either to control the contents of the ipod.

    You must tell the ipod to synch to this library first, and then ensure both the computer and devices are authorized for any itunes accounts in use. But beware, synching to a new library wipes everything on the ipod. You must manually move the music/etc from the other computer to this one to merge the libraries.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  11. #11

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    Where is that within iTunes?
    It's in the settings for the ipod (the tabs). But the ipod must still be synched to that computer's library to work. Apple does not let you move music on/off an ipod except on the computer the ipod synchs to (library). 3rd party utilities allow fully manually controling the content - but iTunes this seting simply means 'don't automatically update the playlists/content assigned to this device'. iTunes still plays all it's lame limitations on you.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  12. #12

    • MC, this is LD
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    3348'35.38"N, 11755'8.28"W
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    I'm pretty sure iTunes is now letting iPod users from other computers add songs from the purchased folder to the computer.


    --KAN

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eustis, Florida (45 minutes from WDW)
    Posts
    3,025

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think what she is referring to is that itunes can only support one library.

    Her other ipod is synched to another library, so when you plug it in, itunes is not happy and will not synch it.

    You also have the fact of which apple store identities the computer and ipod are authorized to play.

    You can add more authorizations to a computer - you can not change the library identity.

    I think what sailer and clinks were referring to is having multiple devices all synching to the same itunes library. that is all automatic. But bringing an ipod to a computer that used to be synched to another computer, itunes will not jive with until you wipe the ipod by synching it to this library.

    You can not use 'manually manage' either to control the contents of the ipod.

    You must tell the ipod to synch to this library first, and then ensure both the computer and devices are authorized for any itunes accounts in use. But beware, synching to a new library wipes everything on the ipod. You must manually move the music/etc from the other computer to this one to merge the libraries.

    Ah! Okay, thanks for the elaboration.

    peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

  14. #14

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,773

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    I got my iPhone today and I've been able to use both it and my Nano with iTunes on my laptop.

  15. #15

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I got my iPhone today and I've been able to use both it and my Nano with iTunes on my laptop.
    Yes, multiple devices to the same library is not the issue. It's using a device synch'd with one library (an installed instance of iTunes) with another library (a second, different installed instance of iTunes).
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Similar Threads

  1. iPods?
    By Alex E in forum Break Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 07:14 PM
  2. New iPods
    By CUatDL in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM
  3. ipods on rides
    By disneydude47 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 09:14 PM
  4. can I have two ipods on one computer?
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •