• Im the fun mommy :)

2 ipods on one computer? how

I have one, just purchasing another one for my daughter now ( ipod classic) but the computer says I can only have one account at a time. how does one have 2 at a time? I plan to get an external hard drive as she already has hundreds of songs on one ipod, now she needs the largest ipod when I put my ipod on my lap top it recognized it right away and said only one library at a time now what?
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 2 ipods on one computer? how

I've got like 4 Ipod's set up on my computer. Just have them set to "manually manage" instead of automatic and you should be fine.

By only one account them mean iTunes, not the iPod. My wifes 80 gig, My daughters 80 gig, my other daughters first gen 1 gig Nano, and my 60 Gig iPod all sync to the same computer. iTunes recognizes them as being different and knows all the various options and settings for all of them (though it does tend to put all the playlists on all of them, but I'm sure that is the setting my kids have selected)

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have two iPods on my computer with no problems. I love my new iPod touch, and I just updated the songs on my Nano.

• Im the fun mommy :)

it shows the ipod has music on it when I hooked it up, but does not show any music on it in itunes. so how do I set it to take 2 ipods?
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm somewhat curious as well because I have a Nano, but I'm getting an iPhone this weekend. I did recently move my iTunes to my external hard drive I use between the laptop and the desktop, but...

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

When you plug in the new iPod, it will bring up a different device page for this one. You just need to choose what playlists are going to go on this.

From then on, iTunes will recognize each device as it's own individual page.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I've got like 4 Ipod's set up on my computer. Just have them set to "manually manage" instead of automatic and you should be fine.
    Where is that within iTunes?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Now we have two computers...and two separate iPods. And I've downloaded/purchased some movies, my husband has as well. I would love to watch his copy of the WallE on my ipod. Can I just go down, connect my ipod on his itunes and download it? I guess I never really thought about it until now.

I'm the one with the thousands of CDs. He only has a few and tends towards podcasts and movies.

I never knew about this.

I'm so going to start combining!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think what she is referring to is that itunes can only support one library.

Her other ipod is synched to another library, so when you plug it in, itunes is not happy and will not synch it.

You also have the fact of which apple store identities the computer and ipod are authorized to play.

You can add more authorizations to a computer - you can not change the library identity.

I think what sailer and clinks were referring to is having multiple devices all synching to the same itunes library. that is all automatic. But bringing an ipod to a computer that used to be synched to another computer, itunes will not jive with until you wipe the ipod by synching it to this library.

You can not use 'manually manage' either to control the contents of the ipod.

You must tell the ipod to synch to this library first, and then ensure both the computer and devices are authorized for any itunes accounts in use. But beware, synching to a new library wipes everything on the ipod. You must manually move the music/etc from the other computer to this one to merge the libraries.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    Where is that within iTunes?
    It's in the settings for the ipod (the tabs). But the ipod must still be synched to that computer's library to work. Apple does not let you move music on/off an ipod except on the computer the ipod synchs to (library). 3rd party utilities allow fully manually controling the content - but iTunes this seting simply means 'don't automatically update the playlists/content assigned to this device'. iTunes still plays all it's lame limitations on you.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• MC, this is LD

I'm pretty sure iTunes is now letting iPod users from other computers add songs from the purchased folder to the computer.

--KAN

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think what she is referring to is that itunes can only support one library.

Her other ipod is synched to another library, so when you plug it in, itunes is not happy and will not synch it.

You also have the fact of which apple store identities the computer and ipod are authorized to play.

You can add more authorizations to a computer - you can not change the library identity.

I think what sailer and clinks were referring to is having multiple devices all synching to the same itunes library. that is all automatic. But bringing an ipod to a computer that used to be synched to another computer, itunes will not jive with until you wipe the ipod by synching it to this library.

You can not use 'manually manage' either to control the contents of the ipod.

You must tell the ipod to synch to this library first, and then ensure both the computer and devices are authorized for any itunes accounts in use. But beware, synching to a new library wipes everything on the ipod. You must manually move the music/etc from the other computer to this one to merge the libraries.

Ah! Okay, thanks for the elaboration.

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I got my iPhone today and I've been able to use both it and my Nano with iTunes on my laptop.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I got my iPhone today and I've been able to use both it and my Nano with iTunes on my laptop.
    Yes, multiple devices to the same library is not the issue. It's using a device synch'd with one library (an installed instance of iTunes) with another library (a second, different installed instance of iTunes).

Am I evil? yes, I am