• "Bread-Making Viking"

Safe Overclock tempratures?

For those with past experience with overclocking CPU's...

I recently built a Core i7 920 system for use in Maya, Photoshop and gaming. As I want to push my computer's performance to its limit for these programs, I'm attempting to overclock it as much as possible on stock cooling (for now, the only real cooling help I have other than that it is a layer of high end thermal paste on the CPU). I set it at 3.0ghz and ran some tests with some high end games and programs, and the temperature seems to average out around 65C or lower while in heavy use. Is this a safe temperature for an overclocked Core i7 920? Do I have some headroom for more overclocking (I want to get it to 3.2ghz-3.6ghz safely if possible)? Also, what should I set the voltage on the CPU up to (I have a high end 750watt power supply, should be able to handle a lot)? Some I have asked say the highest temperatures an i7 can get before failing is around 80C-90C, but I would like some more verification before I accidentally fry my brand new computer.

"A boy and his dragon, a bond that can never be broken"

Probably the most HTTYD obsessed person here. =3

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Safe Overclock tempratures?

There is no safe way to overclock a processor. Overclocking generates more heat, puts stress on the busses, and can cause problems with PCI and RAM timings and all that rot. The manufacturer settings are tested to an absurd degree before you buy the processor and mobo, and going beyond that is unsafe, and can even void your warranty if you fry the sytem. So it's really Russian Roulette. You can get massive heatsinks with tornado-strength fans and water cooling systems, but it's anyone's guess what will happen. You might work fine for years at a higher temp, or you might burn up after an hour. You just don't know what will happen. If you need more performance, the only safe way is to buy a faster processor.