• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Is it illegal to burn CDs?

I was wondering, if I bought a CD and burned it for my own personal use, is that illegal?

• /sigh

Re: Is it illegal to burn CDs?

Isn't it for personal use it's ok, but to copy and give away or sell, it's not? I don't remember.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

As long as you own an original piece of music (CD, Tape, mp3..) , you are authorized to make copies for yourself.

• No bacon; sausage.

Copying a CD for your own personal use is completely legal.

Copying it to give freely to a friend is probably illegal, but I doubt has ever or will ever be prosecuted. With no money exchange, it'd be a tough case to argue.

Producing many copies to give away freely can get you in trouble if you're caught. But it would have to be a pretty wide-scale distribution to get noticed.

If money is involved, you've got less legal footing. No one's going to go after you if you make a copy for your friend and they give you the 30 cents for the disc. But producing and selling multiple copies is not a good idea.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

it is definitely legal to make copies for your own personal use as everyone has said. giving away a copy may or may not be legal, but making copies and selling them is definitely illegal as well.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    As long as you own an original piece of music (CD, Tape, mp3..) , you are authorized to make copies for yourself.
    Digital Music (e.g. downloaded from iTunes, the newest Napster, etc.) are a little bit trickier on the legal side. Because of the DMCA [Digital Millinium Copyright Act] and DRM [Digital Rights Management] technologies, it is becoming difficult practically and legally to copy any DRM'ed music. There are many stories of people who own $20,000 stereos, yet cannot play their .99 songs on them. Not to go off on a tangent, but the terms fair use and public domain are being eroded as we speak. Creative Commons, The Electric Frontier Foundation and others are trying to create a happy medium where artists rights are protected, yet consumers are given fair rights do what they want with their legally purchased music (within reason, of course).

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Digital Music (e.g. downloaded from iTunes, the newest Napster, etc.) are a little bit trickier on the legal side. Because of the DMCA [Digital Millinium Copyright Act] and DRM [Digital Rights Management] technologies, it is becoming difficult practically and legally to copy any DRM'ed music. There are many stories of people who own $20,000 stereos, yet cannot play their .99 songs on them. Not to go off on a tangent, but the terms fair use and public domain are being eroded as we speak. Creative Commons, The Electric Frontier Foundation and others are trying to create a happy medium where artists rights are protected, yet consumers are given fair rights do what they want with their legally purchased music (within reason, of course).
    Regardless of what protections the providers of downloadable music put into the files, it is LEGAL to make copies for personal use. It's also LEGAL for them to prevent you from making any copies. You are neither forbidden from making copies, nor do you have an inherent right to make copies. If you can make copies, as long as you're not selling them, it's legal.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    There are many stories of people who own $20,000 stereos, yet cannot play their .99 songs on them.
    Then their stereo is outdated and they need new components...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Then their stereo is outdated and they need new components...
    Figuratively, of course.

Story: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1890

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I'm with everyone else.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I pretty much agree with everyone that has chimed in. The interesting thing is this...

I am an Internet DJ and deal with a lot of music that is obscure from 40-60 years ago. Much of the music is not availaibe legally. If the record conglomerates decide to issue any of it the CD's are expensive ($20+) because otherwise they can't make any money from it. Bootleggs are rampant because the music is hard to find (for profit/for preservation purposes). The Sono Bono Copyright extension has made things very difficult. In fact the majority of US sound recordings from 1890-1964 are commercially unavailable to the public legally. It is so sad to see that the music industry has caused a black market, including p2p's because enthusiasts of obscure music don't want to buy lega/bootlegs because the artists get nothing (record companies taking advantage of young kids who knew nothing about the business)

Sorry for rambling on and possibly from going off topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Banned User

what i learned in class...
    you may make one copy for ourself of any disk...

you may not make a copy for someone else...

what i find hard.. if they make it harder to get music off of CDs.. what about if i am copying them to play on my iPod.. like many people do... they ahve problems like this all the time..

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    what i learned in class...
    you may make one copy for ourself of any disk...

you may not make a copy for someone else...

what i find hard.. if they make it harder to get music off of CDs.. what about if i am copying them to play on my iPod.. like many people do... they ahve problems like this all the time..
    Annoying, but nothing you can do about it. It's not illegal to make that copy, but you are not guaranteed the right either. If you find a way around it, they can't bust you, but that doesn't stop them from making it difficult.