Thread: Fried iPod

• Minion

Fried iPod

So I think I fried my iPod, I was doing an update on the computer and it looks like the USB hub had some sort of power surge or something and now the iPod won't boot at all.

I have tried the menu/center button reboot and that did clear the screen but I am not getting any apple icon.

I've tried the reboot and no dice, I've tried the 30 minute charge and reboot and no dice. When plugged in to the computer and iTunes it does not recognize it at all.

I'm now doing the 24 hour power drain mode to see if it will work but I am pretty sure the thing is dead. However any tips for other ways to try and get it working would be welcome.

It's a 5th Generation Classic 30GB. According to Apple the repair cost is $ 129 for this unit (presumably plus shipping).

Or they have refurbished Ipod Nano's on the site, $ 99 for an 8GB or $ 149 for a 16GB.

So part of the issue to decide is do I repair or replace. In looking at my current playlist with a couple audiobooks and all my songs I only use about 3 GB of space, so I am not anywhere close to using the 30 (or for that matter the 8 or 16).

I'm leaning to the Nano option as it is newer, smaller and uses flash drive versus hard drive technology.

But input here is also welcomed.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Lonestar Louisianian

Re: Fried iPod

If there's an Apple store near where you live, try taking it to them and see what they can do with it. Chances are it is something that they've seen before and will be able to tell you right away if it is salvagable or not.

Baring that it seems like you've made the decision already. The nano seems like the way to go for your particular case. I too do not come close to utilizing the full space on my iPod either, but I like the video capabilities and screen size of the Touch.

• Eu gosto de ir a Disney!

i usually buy things on ebay, try ebay sometimes there are good deals youve just got to look. im probably the biggest ebay buyer (dont tell my wife!) be sure you read buyers feedback thoguh

• Minion

I did debate E-Bay but I understand that there is sometimes an issue with the warranty starting when the seller bought the unit rather than when I buy it.

and the refurb deal on Apple is a good one
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I have actually seen, at the Genius Bar, an iPod that needed to be charged via Firewire for a few minutes before being able to continue charging via USB. Best place to get access to the Firewire cable is the Apple Store, but the Genius Bar, in my experience, is not very punctual even if you have made an appointment.