Thread: Stamps.com???

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Stamps.com???

Has anyone here used stamps.com? Do you like it? Is it easy to use?

My boss doesn't wanna pay a single cent more for using the Pitney Bowes machine and wants me to look into stamps.com.

Thanks!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Re: Stamps.com???

I used to use Stamps.com when it was only about $4 a month for the service charge. When they upped it (I don't know what it is now) I cancelled it. I had been with them for about 2 years.

I liked being able to print out my own postage whenever I needed to!

• Gay Man

It is convenient but expensive. The monthly service charge is $11ish I think. It depends on how much postage you use. If you use a lot, I would bet the PB machine would be a better value.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    It is convenient but expensive. The monthly service charge is $11ish I think. It depends on how much postage you use. If you use a lot, I would bet the PB machine would be a better value.
    Well the PB machine is $51! stamps.com is like $18. And we use A LOT of postage.

• Gay Man

You have to print your own postage as well, so figure in printer ink costs as well. Plus you need to buy their stamp paper/labels. Just beware of all of the costs before you dump PB.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Well, sometimes he'd rather spend $100 to fix a $20 lamp than to actually go out and buy a new $20 lamp. Makey no sense to me but what ever!

• Gay Man

Ahhh, it all becomes clear - er, muddy. But, I understand.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

How much postage are you talking about? 100 pieces a day, 1,000, 10,000, 100,000? All alike or wildly mixed? Are you taking advantage of the discounts for presort and Zip+4 already?

The one nice thing about a PB meter is you can get the fully automatic ones that you just feed a stack of letters and zap them through automatically - it even seals the flaps on the envelopes if you want. If he tries going to Stamps.com, or just buying coils of adhesive stamps, now someone has to sit there and stick them on all afternoon - and with the cost of labor nowadays, even a $51 lease for the stupid meter is still cheaper.

You might have to run the numbers and do a PowerPoint Presentation for your boss, and convince him to stick with the old way - Sure you can save $51 on the PB machine lease, but we'll have to pay $18 for Stamps.com, then we need to buy a $400 printer, $20 a month for printer supplies, sit there and baby-sit the whole mess for an hour or two more a day, and after you figure in "loaded labor rate" (management, payroll, vacations...) it'll cost you $250 a month in additional labor time to prepare the mailings. And with PB they come and fix the machine when it breaks, with Stamps.com you have to pay for it yourself, or deal with the downtime.

Been there, Done that, have the paper cuts on my tongue to prove it. I got to print and stick mailing labels and stick stamps on about 600 postcards three or four times a year, with a Postaffix dispenser and coil stamps. Dad did the weekly batches himself, but they were only 25 to 40 at a time.

If it wasn't for the Free Slave Labor he was getting, I'd have forced Dad into getting a meter. Or a bulk rate permit, but that's a whole extra level of tsouris for 600 pieces. For 5,000 or 50,000 it would be worth it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1