• Circle of Ancients

5 Tech Gifts You Don't Want

I'm only posting this to point out an inaccurate statement in this article:

Yahoo! Finance - Business Finance, Stock Market, Quotes, News

In my family, there's a grand old tradition in which we threaten to fill each others' Christmas stockings with coal -- the implication being that we've all been very wicked. But I'm starting to think that coal isn't a bad gift at all. For one thing, it lasts forever. And while it doesn't play mp3s or grate carrots three different ways, coal never requires obscure replacement parts available only through membership in a secret society.
    Of course, what we're really talking about here is the frustrations of those perennial holiday gifts: gadgets and appliances. Lately, device makers seem to be outdoing each other in their creative approaches to planned obsolescence. Roaming store aisles, it's easy to come up with a list of gifts that qualify as the new lump of coal:
    She goes on to talk about some washer, Vizio TV's, some appiances and Lumix camera's.

But my beef is this bit about the PS3:

Sony PlayStation 3
    It's all fun and games until the battery dies. Unlike its competitors, which use replaceable AA batteries, the PS3's remote control is glued shut. When the battery goes, Sony customers have to blow $55 on a new controller. Sony says there's an "environmental benefit" since gamers don't have to toss their batteries on a regular basis, but Isidor Buchmann, president of battery-equipment maker Cadex Electronics, says captive batteries are becoming common because it's cheaper for companies to eliminate the battery housing and hatch.
    Uhm, my PS3 remote takes AA batteries and they have yet to run out. My guess is the reporter has some kind of Sony bias.

And the thing about the Vizio TV's is also a joke. If your TV breaks a year after you get it, you don't take it to the store. You have to go back to the manufacturer.

• no flash photography...

Re: 5 Tech Gifts You Don't Want

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    And the thing about the Vizio TV's is also a joke. If your TV breaks a year after you get it, you don't take it to the store. You have to go back to the manufacturer.
    costco will take it back.

my controllers plug into the ps3 to recharge . . . so yeah

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    Do you know their exact policy on this? Is it a year, or is it whenever? Just noticed a scratch on our TV we bought from Costco and it's a little over a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by stevensteven327 View Post
    my controllers plug into the ps3 to recharge . . . so yeah
    Yeah, I'm not sure if they are talking about the conrtroller or the remote. And your right, the controller plugs right in and recharges.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    What she said

Our tv fizzled out after a year and we took it back to Costco with no problem. It was a 42 inch plasma and they no longer carried the model we had so they gave us a costco cash card for the amount we paid.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• hi!

Yeah, I'm not sure if they are talking about the conrtroller or the remote. And your right, the controller plugs right in and recharges.
    she's talking about the controller. it has a limited lifespan like all rechargables. but not enough to turn me away from buying the system..
    -plagued

• Water rides are evil.

But wait, the most important fact is: If you read the manual, it tells you how to change the batteries. The controllers aren't glued shut.

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    But wait, the most important fact is: If you read the manual, it tells you how to change the batteries. The controllers aren't glued shut.
    ah true. but what would make me not do this is Sony themselves made an official statement that they'd replace the entire controller for *free* when the battery dies.

for some, like me, this is much more practical because if and when the controller battery dies (and since it's the latest generation of lith-ions, it would be many years) the controller would have already gone through quite the abuse. worn buttons, chips, spilled drinks, etc. a brand new spic n' span controller is quite the delight in my eyes
    -plagued