Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Disneytim at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Yes it will. Samsung, as well as Sony, Panasonic, LG, and Toshiba all announced 3D HDTVs at CES and they should be available by year's end. All will require special glasses, although Sony and Panasonic, thus far, are the only brands that will include one pair of glasses with each 3D set purchased. 3D HDTV's can display 2D content in high-def, but require a 3D signal through a 3D-capable Blu-ray player or one of the new 3D networks to display true 3D images. Toshiba and Samsung promise the ability to pull 3D effects out of 2D signals, but it's unlikely to have the depth or clarity of true 3D.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of 3D HDTVs, but I really question the format's practicality for average consumers. To truly be appreciated, 3D TV must be seen in a home theater environment, which the majority of consumers simply don't have. It'll appeal to high-end technophiles with deep pockets (40''-50" 3D HDTVs will probably sell in the $7,000-$9,000 range) who have to have the newest toys, but I don't see a lot of people with existing HDTVs running out to replace them with 3D systems. Time will tell if home 3D will be anything more than a novelty. Personally, I'm skeptical about the format's future.

Sony and Panasonic sound like the way to go... though their ticket prices are likely to be "beyond high end". I'd be happy with Toshiba or Samsung.. but even they will probably be out of my range. HD tv I do not perceive as a breakthrough technology as was color tv. Color was way out of the average Joe's/Jill's reach at first.. and there was a question as to whether it was a passing trend. 3DHD is such a phenominal new overtly noticeable technology that I think it more than a trend. Like the advent of television itself (and later color), I think prices will gradually come down.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Sony and Panasonic sound like the way to go... though their ticket prices are likely to be "beyond high end". I'd be happy with Toshiba or Samsung.. but even they will probably be out of my range. HD tv I do not perceive as a breakthrough technology as was color tv. Color was way out of the average Joe's/Jill's reach at first.. and there was a question as to whether it was a passing trend. 3DHD is such a phenominal new overtly noticeable technology that I think it more than a trend. Like the advent of television itself (and later color), I think prices will gradually come down.
    Like all technology, price will come down at some point. 3D movies don't thrill me so much, so I won't be rushing to get a 3D television anytime soon. Plus, I just bought a Panasonic plasma yesterday, so hopefully I won't need a new TV for a while.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    Plus, I just bought a Panasonic plasma yesterday, so hopefully I won't need a new TV for a while.
    Was it this one?

152" Panasonic Viera plasma screen. No home should be without one.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Cool stuff! I've been watching some CTFxC YouTube videos of the event, but cool pics!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Panasonic scored big at the show, earning a "Best of CES" award from tech watchdog CNET for this entry in the 3D HDTV wars:

The TC-PVT25 series of plasma screens comes in sizes ranging from 50 to 65 inches. It was praised by CNET for its picture quality and 3D glasses, which will be included with the set. CNET noted that the TV would've received high praise even if it didn't have 3D capability--screen images were that good. The TC-PVT25 also got props for getting a jump on the competition. Panasonic could release it as early as the spring.

LG had one of the most stunning booth displays of any of the exhibitors. This is what greeted CES attendees when they entered the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center:

This panorama shot was stitched together from three separate images. Definitely one of the wow moments at the show.

LG showed off their latest LED Ultra Slim HDTV's:

This 55" unit is only 6.9mm thick. That's a little over a quarter of an inch!

On Thursday, staff working the Samsung booth were really edgy about allowing people to photograph their 3D LED TV's. Yeah, good luck trying to keep tens of thousands cameras inactive anywhere at CES.

By Sunday, however, no one seemed to care. I took this shot this afternoon:

Neener neener neener.

Samsung did have an impressive booth, though, with their video displays reflected in the ceiling:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

One of the most buzzed about items at CES was the Boxee Box by D-Link. It's a hardware extension of Boxee, a free software program that organizes web-based media from different sources on a PC or Mac. With the box added, users will be able to pull the same online media directly into their HDTV without the need of a computer (you'll still need an Ethernet or Wi-fi connection to make it work, however). The Boxee Box connects directly to your TV via HDMI and RCA connections and can also link with media stored on your computer or external hard drive. It works with online sources such as YouTube, flickr and Pandora and supports most common computer-based video, audio and image formats.

The Boxee Box comes with a remote control that, when flipped over, has a complete QWERTY keyboard to make software navigation easier.

The Boxee Box will be available in the spring and will sell for around $200. With your computer and television fully integrated, you may never leave home again.

For more information on Boxee: http://www.boxee.tv/
    Last edited by disneytim; 01-10-2010 at 10:19 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Looking like something from the planet Ork, the Sound Egg from Acousticom is a personal 5.1 surround sound system perfect for watching movies, playing video games or listening to music. Just hook up your audio source and make yourself comfortable. The sound is high-quality and self-contained--you won't be bothered by outside noise and your neighbors won't be bothered by your thumping bass.

The Sound Egg comes in seven standard external colors, but can be customized to match any decor. You can also choose from a dozen internal acoustic foam colors. Pricing starts at $1,450 with free shipping in the U.S. from Acousticom.

If your idea of fun is playing with a cute, fuzzy animal that isn't really there, seek help immediately or get the EyePet for the Sony PlayStation 3. Using the PS3's Eye camera, you can interact with your EyePet on screen as if it was actually there in front of you.

Play with him (I think it's a he. Who knows?), feed him, tickle him, even drag out his favorite trampoline and let him bounce around for a while. There are plenty of games and activities to keep him entertained.

The EyePet is already available in select markets overseas. It'll be available in the U.S. before the end of the year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZvxIjdyyII]YouTube - EyePet[/ame]

It seems every year at CES, I come across an item that's absolutely fascinating . . . but just a little creepy. In 2010, it's the EyePet.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Every year, CES recognizes products with superior design and engineering with Innovations Awards. Among the 2010 recipients was ASUSTeK Computers, which was honored for this Disney princess-themed notebook:

The Disney Netpal is loaded with Disney-themed games and applications. It has an intuitive interface, making it easy for children 6-12 to operate. Parents will appreciate the more than two dozen parental control options, ensuring that kids navigate the web in the safest environment possible.

It's powered by a 1.6Ghz Intel Atom processor and has a 160GB hard drive. It also comes with a webcam, microphone and stereo speakers installed. The Netpal is available now and retails for around $350.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

i wish they made Disney brandedcomputersfor us older kids i'd love that laptop if it had more power!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12