Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disneytim at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

Las Vegas’ annual gathering of the tech geeks, the International Consumer Electronics Show kicks off today, spotlighting the latest and greatest in consumer technology for the coming year. Like I have the last few years, I’ll be roaming the show floor looking for the coolest gadgets and posting a lot of pictures. Watch for more updates through the weekend.

Like the banner above shows, Samsung is making a big push this year for its new 3D LED TV. Another item getting a lot of buzz is the tablet PC, a handheld computing device bigger than a smartphone, but smaller than a notebook computer. Think of it as a Kindle with much more versatility. With Apple’s much-hyped launch of their tablet PC expected in a few weeks, other manufacturers are using CES to get their tablets top of mind first. At last night’s opening keynote, Microsoft big boss Steve Ballmer announced a partnership with Hewlett-Packard to release the Slate handheld as early as this summer. Dell, among others, is also expected to announce their version of the tablet this week.

By CES standards, this year’s show will be much smaller, with around 100,000 attendees expected. Compare this to previous years, where 120,000 to 150,000 was the norm. The show is taking up less space too, a sign of fewer participating vendors. While CES will take up most of the Las Vegas Convention Center, as usual, it will have a significantly smaller footprint at The Venetian and other offsite venues. We’re not out of the recession yet, kids.

The exhibit hall opens in 15 minutes. Catch you later . . .

Last edited by disneytim; 01-07-2010 at 11:52 PM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Disneytim at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

Hooray. I've been waiting for your annual coverage of CES! Cheers to MiceChat's technology reporter on the ground!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Wow this is going to be awesome! Even though its a smaller convention this year, I would love to be there to see all the new and wonderful stuff! Glad you're going to be sharing it with us!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I've always wanted to go, but never have. I was so jealous, my wife got to go last year, and I'm more into that stuff than she she is .... Looking forward to hearing/seeing more.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Lego set up this eye-catching display to promote their new massively multiplayer online game Lego Universe, scheduled to launch in the second half of this year. CES attendees are among the first to get a hands-on demo of the game, which Lego has been teasing on their website for over two years.

In the game, players can create their own minifigures and interact with other players, acquire personal property and build various houses and structures using virtual Lego bricks.

What you create is limited only by your imagination. If you can build a house, why not build a rocket ship too?

But, not everything is plastic perfection in the Lego Universe. All players will be expected to answer the call and take on the forces of darkness, the creatures of the Maelstrom that seek to rid the world of imagination.

Do battle with the enemy and restore order to the universe.

And don't forget, teamwork always helps.

Lego Universe will be a family-friendly game for ages 8 and up, but judging from the reaction of CES attendees, it's going to be very popular with adults. Dude, it virtual Legos!

Lego Universe released a new promo video this week:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PnZ4T82o_M]YouTube - LEGO Universe Trailer 2 Full Bradford Rant version[/ame]

Want to know more about the cryptic messages in the video? Visit The Bradford Rant Institute of Cosmic Kinesis.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Love the Lego pictures!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Thank you. More please.

• Seasick

A virtual Lego world sounds awesome. Without the budgetary constraints of buying real Lego, people will be able to get awfully creative.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Some random celebrity sightings this week:

CNBC's Maria Bartiromo broadcasts live from the show floor.

NBA Hall of Famer and Laker legend James Worthy puts in an appearance at the Haier booth.

"The Price is Right" host and admitted tech geek Drew Carey is interviewed during CNET's live coverage from CES. Carey is a huge fan of the new 3D HDTV technology and can't wait for Apple to announce their new tablet device later this month.

Co-creator of Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk and many others, comic book legend Stan Lee. Coincidentally enough, he appeared at the Marvell booth--that's "Marvell" with two "L's." They manufacture computer and telecommunications components.

Bonus points if you can guess who's getting the attention of this unruly crowd.

Look carefully at the center of this picture and you'll see the wild blonde 'do of Lady Gaga.

Meh. I prefer Stan Lee.

...or these charming ladies, who aren't famous at all, but have better hair:

Last edited by disneytim; 01-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

VideoNameTag.com has got your back.

These nifty gadgets are 3"x2" OLED video screens that function as eye-catching name tags. You can load customized video or photo slide shows into each tag, which has a 2GB memory that can hold over an hour of content. It's powered by a 3.7v rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts 6-10 hours per charge.

Each tag costs $198 and includes all necessary software, USB cables and power adapters.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post

These are awesomely cool! Until I got to the price tag... eh.... in 6 months the price will drop and in a year you'll be able to pick them up at Radio Shack for $20. )

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hmmm... I just posted a thread about a new 3D-TV network being started by IMAX, Sony,Discovery.. along with ESPN's plans to start broadcasting sporting events in 3-D. The Samsung TV leaves me wondering if a special 3-D TV will be required to view the coming new 3-D TV programing.

Being a tech enthusiast, Drew Carey must be extremely prowd of his WDW Hollywood Studios "Sounds Dangerous attraction, where sound surrounds you (and seemingly comes at you) thru crystal clear biaural technology. i experienced this type of technology at the Abraham Lincoln show at Disneyland, before they took it down for the 50th Aniversary show.

So many things about the Lego company are fascinating. They just keep progressing with a multiplex of products. Legoland is my favorite avenue of the company.

I've loved Stan Lee and his Marvellous comics all of my life. Just might go to the next convention, if it means an opportunity to meet Spidey's dad.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Hmmm... I just posted a thread about a new 3D-TV network being started by IMAX, Sony,Discovery.. along with ESPN's plans to start broadcasting sporting events in 3-D. The Samsung TV leaves me wondering if a special 3-D TV will be required to view the coming new 3-D TV programing.
    Yes it will. Samsung, as well as Sony, Panasonic, LG, and Toshiba all announced 3D HDTVs at CES and they should be available by year's end. All will require special glasses, although Sony and Panasonic, thus far, are the only brands that will include one pair of glasses with each 3D set purchased. 3D HDTV's can display 2D content in high-def, but require a 3D signal through a 3D-capable Blu-ray player or one of the new 3D networks to display true 3D images. Toshiba and Samsung promise the ability to pull 3D effects out of 2D signals, but it's unlikely to have the depth or clarity of true 3D.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of 3D HDTVs, but I really question the format's practicality for average consumers. To truly be appreciated, 3D TV must be seen in a home theater environment, which the majority of consumers simply don't have. It'll appeal to high-end technophiles with deep pockets (40''-50" 3D HDTVs will probably sell in the $7,000-$9,000 range) who have to have the newest toys, but I don't see a lot of people with existing HDTVs running out to replace them with 3D systems. Time will tell if home 3D will be anything more than a novelty. Personally, I'm skeptical about the format's future.
    Last edited by disneytim; 01-09-2010 at 10:22 PM.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Thanks for the pictures. I like the video name tags more than 3D television.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. I like the video name tags more than 3D television.
    You're welcome. I usually don't get overly impressed with the big ticket items at CES. It's the quirky gadgets I always appreciate the most.

I wasn't able to get to the show yesterday or today, but I'll be there all day tomorrow, taking more pictures and searching out new cool stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast