Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Do I seem familiar?

How long does it take to install DSL service in any area? That might seem like a vague question, but I keep searching around the Internet for DSL service at home and seems as though no one's come to our neighborhood yet. I did find Adelphia Cable, but their rate was $50!! I'm getting really frustrated because we're still on AOL Dial-Up (and I was under the impression that AOL doesn't provide direct broadband service like SBC, am I wrong?).

P.S. Dusty: I saw your column on MA this morning. Will you get your own board?

• -Going Retro-

Quote Originally Posted by invader pearl
    How long does it take to install DSL service in any area? That might seem like a vague question, but I keep searching around the Internet for DSL service at home and seems as though no one's come to our neighborhood yet. I did find Adelphia Cable, but their rate was $50!! I'm getting really frustrated because we're still on AOL Dial-Up (and I was under the impression that AOL doesn't provide direct broadband service like SBC, am I wrong?)
    Eventually the whole country should have DSL soon. If you don't have it in your area there is always Direct Way (satellite) and cable.

We've had SBC DSL since 2001 we finally upgraded to the pro and it's extremely fast even with six computers running off it. Runs about 55.00 a month but I believe you can get the lower grade DSL for 29.00? Not positive.

The best advice is to find out who owns the lines and go with them for your service. If Verizon owns your phone lines go with them same with SBC. At least thatís what I was told.

• e komo mai

We have service through Stanford and CSUMB. It's okay, but the price is perfect: $0.00.

• -Going Retro-

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    We have service through Stanford and CSUMB. It's okay, but the price is perfect: $0.00.
    Now that's a price that can't be beat!

• The Mad Hatter

just got my Cox account all workin straight, 4mbps down for $39.99/mo

• Do I seem familiar?

Disguy: I didn't think about satellite connection, but I'll have to remember to look into that. Interestingly, SBC is our land line service provider. I remember while living in Moreno Valley for school, Verizon was the carrier and didn't have DSL service out there. Seems as though I'm living in obscure places for these folks! Anyhow... still searching. It's tough to be at work with a fast connection and go home to a snail's pace.

• Zapp's Minion :D

Quote Originally Posted by libraryvixen
    I have Comcast. It's not too bad though. I just need a better computer to make it work to its maximum potential!

I have Comcast as well and my computer sucks!! It's 5 years old .

Hopefully this I can buy a new one.

• Disney Freak

I also have comcast. It could be faster though. My computer is really vamped up and sometimes it takes time on mine to load pages and freeses on website like SaveDisney.com for some wierd reason. Does anyone else have this problem using FireFox on a Windows XP computer looking at the SaveDisney site?
    Last edited by Alex3231; 01-19-2005 at 07:49 PM.
    Alex

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney

My Flickr: Flickr.com/agoldman
    My Twitter: Twitter.com/al3xg
    My Facebook: Facebook.com/al3xg

I have been using the best $6 per month isp, but they are going out of business... I will have DSL by friday, it took the local phone co 3 days to hookup, they just test the line and thats about it...

as for satelite VERY expensive, 79 per month and 300 plus for the equipment, or more to "rent" the equipment...

I wanted to get cable since cheaper and faster, but i live in the sticks, only 10 homes in the hood....

gonna have the wireless net in the home as well...

some towns offer free wireless internet within the area, I cant wait for that where I live...

• Banned User

they are DSLing the areas with higher population first... then moving to the obscure areas.. in about 5 years most of the country should be up to DSL/Cable modem speeds....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I have Roadrunner cable internet through Time Warner Cable.

I have at work a shared T1 with a 4mb/sec throughput.

I'm never going back to dialup, I don't care if I can't eat!
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

Charter communications cable. At first it was a little troublesome... but haven't had any complaints with it for quite some time now!

• It's all nonsense

Comcast for me too. It's been good to me.

And just to start a little argument let me say....cable owns dsl and always will.

• Do I seem familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    they are DSLing the areas with higher population first... then moving to the obscure areas.. in about 5 years most of the country should be up to DSL/Cable modem speeds....
    Five years?! Not fast enough for me!! By that time, my brand new computer will be massively archaic!

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by invader pearl
    Five years?! Not fast enough for me!! By that time, my brand new computer will be massively archaic!
    I bet it'd be longer than that. There are people that are just now getting dial-up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast