Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Cell Phone Options

So my old cell phone is getting pretty darn old and the speaker is dying which means I need a new one.

On the one hand I work out of a home office so I don't need a PDA type setup but on the other hand I wouldn't mind a keyboard for texts and the ability to surf the net.

Right now I pay around $ 70-80 for myself and my Mom (depending on how many texts/etc I use a month).

It looks like with most of the PDA's I'd need a data plan ($ 30 with ATT) which would boost my costs to somewhere in the $ 90-$ 100 range depending on what carrier/plan I went with and I'm sure I could probably increase my use of the network.

Or I guess if I buy the phone myself I might not need a data plan ?

I'm with AT&T and am fairly happy with it, but am not absolutely tied to them.

Obviously it could be fun to get an I Phone but I don't have to.

So basically I'm looking for input on what kinds of phones you guys use and like, what carriers you like, etc.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Cell Phone Options

Well, here's the obvious choice then.... iPhone! I pay $100 a month for my minutes & unlimited text/data plan.

But regardless of any smartphone you buy, you'll need to buy that carrier's data plan or it's not going to work.

• Minion

That is certainly one option, and the I Phone is VERY tempting.

On the other hand I could survive with something basic too.

Any more thoughts from the rest of you guys ?
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Hukuna Matata!

I have verizon and love Verizon i just wish they had the Iphone, It doesnt compare to the Storm I have witnessed the Droid and it is amazing, although this is not coming from personal but may be worth checking out.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I'm an AT&T user myself. I tried the iPhone & liked the phone itself, but the service it gets from AT&T is bad. Right now the network is too saturated with iPhone users so depending where you are, you can have a lot of dropped calls or just not able to get reception period. I live in the SF Bay Area which is a big metro area and that was my experience while using it. Like I said I did love the phone itself.

Majority of my family are Verizon wireless users and they all love it. Not too many dropped calls. I was with Verizon like 10 yrs ago and loved it. Switched to AT&T when it used to be Cingular because of roll over minutes. Otherwise I would probably still be with Verizon. I feel their service is outstanding.

As far as the iPhone market, it has been rumored for quite some time that Apple will do a deal with Verizon to carry the iPhone.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Verizon, I'd suggest the env3. You used to be able to get it w/o data plan, but I think they changed it now.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Good input guys !

I would probably lean towards staying w/AT&T just because I'm ok with them, though I have no problem with Verizon either. I'm over in Stockton/Lodi area so I don't know I will have much of an issue with dropped calls and such.

The real issue, which I still have to decide, is whether to go the smartphone route or not. I was using a Motorola V551 and since the speaker in headset died I have temporarily switched to a Samsung C417 which is very basic (no email for example).

If I do switch are there other smartphones similar to I Phone but cheaper that people like ?

Or if I do Verizon is there a good I Phone level product ?

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    Good input guys !

I would probably lean towards staying w/AT&T just because I'm ok with them, though I have no problem with Verizon either. I'm over in Stockton/Lodi area so I don't know I will have much of an issue with dropped calls and such.

The real issue, which I still have to decide, is whether to go the smartphone route or not. I was using a Motorola V551 and since the speaker in headset died I have temporarily switched to a Samsung C417 which is very basic (no email for example).

If I do switch are there other smartphones similar to I Phone but cheaper that people like ?

Or if I do Verizon is there a good I Phone level product ?
    Nice to find someone who lives relatively close to me.

Wow you do have an older phone, I had that one years ago. I have the Motorola Z9 and that's 2 to 3 years old now too.

I think its the Motorola Droid that Verizon is using to rival the iPhone. How much it actually rivals it, I don't know. To me you can't beat Apple's user friendly products. I guess it's like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

If you don't have a need to hop online and actually use all the capabilities of a smartphone, the Samsung Impression has a keyboard which is convenient for texting. Otherwise for a smartphone with AT&T other than the iPhone I would recommend the Blackberry curve.

I would check into this but I believe any new smartphone purchases now require a mandatory data plan which will probably run you an extra $20-$30 a month. I know the iPhone does a mandatory data plan @ $30 a month.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Just one piece of advice: do not, DO NOT, switch your carrier to Sprint. They will rape you, cut off your legs, and feed your spleen to sharks, all while leeching your account...and laugh while doing so. I speak from personal experience.

The iPhone's a damn fine choice if you're sticking with ATT, since Apple finally got around to actually putting some standard features on the newest generation.

For Verizon Wireless, the Droid is a pretty good cell phone, not comparable to the iPhone according to many online reviewers but still a good phone nonetheless.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Disney Fan & Musician

iPhone is great. Expect a new one this summer though. If you're on the market for Verizon, the Droid is great. A phone almost great than the Droid is coming to Verizon this spring. The Nexus One.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Blackberry is another option. I loved my Blackberry Curve and served me well until iPhone came out in a 32GB version and had everything I wanted on it.

• I met Walt Disney!

I have a palm treo pro. Although It's received missed reviews, I love it. Several positives: it has wifi, so it doesn't necessarily require a data plan. It also has a stand alone GPS. It works on any gsm network, including ATT. One negative: needs to be purchased from a third party dealer, such as Amazon, which can be pricey. I bought mine there and simply slipped in my sim card. Be careful of gray market phones!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musiken View Post
    I have a palm treo pro. Although It's received missed reviews, I love it. Several positives: it has wifi, so it doesn't necessarily require a data plan. It also has a stand alone GPS. It works on any gsm network, including ATT. One negative: needs to be purchased from a third party dealer, such as Amazon, which can be pricey. I bought mine there and simply slipped in my sim card. Be careful of gray market phones!
    Palm just removed the Trēo Pro from the main page of its website. As much as I loved my Trēos, they are phones of the past now.

• Future Skipper

I have a Samsung Impression, and I really like it. The keyboard is roomy and sturdy, and the web browser is easy to use.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Just one piece of advice: do not, DO NOT, switch your carrier to Sprint. They will rape you, cut off your legs, and feed your spleen to sharks, all while leeching your account...and laugh while doing so. I speak from personal experience.

The iPhone's a damn fine choice if you're sticking with ATT, since Apple finally got around to actually putting some standard features on the newest generation.

For Verizon Wireless, the Droid is a pretty good cell phone, not comparable to the iPhone according to many online reviewers but still a good phone nonetheless.
    I've used all of the major carriers at one time or another. The only one I wanted to sue was AT&T. Sprint is my current carrier, and I have no problem with them.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast