Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Camera Recommendations...

Google search for digital camera reviews; you'll find some good sites. I don't remember any right now or I'd post them.

The downside of purchasing a camera online is that the real-world vendors go out of business, and there's nowhere to actually hold an item before you buy it. That's why it's better to buy from a physical store; especially on a point-and-shoot, the prices aren't that high. I bought my last little camera from Frys for... $130, something like that.

Sure, you save a few bucks by ordering online, and you get free shipping, but there's a larger cost.

Even a SLR (the bigger, more complicated cameras) aren't all that complicated. There's a few things to look at, and you can learn the rest of it later. The only down side is that they're bigger, and a bit cumbersome.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    all I can say is.. don't buy at best buy. Look at models there if you need to get the feel, etc.. but don't pay those inflated prices.

Price shop against amazon, newegg, etc and buy from there with confidence. No tax, usually free shipping, and better prices.
    I need it by Friday, so I can't buy online, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Google search for digital camera reviews; you'll find some good sites. I don't remember any right now or I'd post them.
    I did but couldn't really find much for these. Frustrating. This whole experience is stressful lol I'm gonna just buy one and hope for the best, i think.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I've been using a Canon PowerShot A650 IS. There's probably a newer model by now, this one's about 2 years old.

I've really loved it, although not so much since I dropped it onto the cement in front of the castle at WDW. It still works great but now has a black spot in every photo. It has a lot of settings you can play with, but it also works great on 'auto' if you just want to aim and click.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/ is a good one. http://www.dpreview.com/ is another site that might be helpful. There's a lot of info out there, but pick a camera that you think you might like, and see what they say about that particular one.

Personally, my point and shoot is a Casio, and it's been great. The only place it doesn't do well is in low light, like inside Small World or Pirates. Great battery life, and they're small enough that I can carry a spare in my wallet. What I like about it is the menu systems make sense to me, I can customize a few things, it's little, and it takes pretty good pictures.

I don't think you'll have too much difficulty taking pictures in bright, normal daylight. I think pretty much any camera that you like will do well in that setting. So get one that you like the menus, and the buttons, or the look or feel of it, something like that. One thing that can help for night-time shots is a little tripod; I found one at Frys for $5. It is also small enough to fit in a pocket, and I set it on a trash can or a wall or something to use it. Works great.

Good luck in picking out your camera! There's a lot of info out there, but the trick is whittling that down to the few things that matter to you. Buttons instead of a switch for the power, that kind of thing. I'm picky about that, which is one thing I like about the Casio. It's all touch buttons or rocker switches, no wheels.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I need it by Friday, so I can't buy online, unfortunately.
    You can get 2 day shipping pretty cheap in most places. If you were a regular, you get it for free at amazon

Heck, some things come next day

Just saying.. don't get sucked into best buy. It should be relabled 'worst buy'. Without any real retail competition anymore.. their prices have gotten pretty bad.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• no flash photography...

amazon 2 day shipping is the best.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Amazon Prime is amazing.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Well, I don't buy enough from Amazon to jsutfiy buying Prime. I hada trial at Christmas and it was nice. And the FH22 isn't even on sale at Amazon so that point is moot Best Buy might be more expensive (though i don't see it that way) but at least they have what I want to buy
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Hooterville, USA

The suspense is killing me! What did you buy?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

NOTHING!! Some unexpected dental expenses have come up so that money is being used elsewhere. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to get one.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

I'm sorry! I hope you get to purchase your new toy soon.

If you are looking for a pocketable camera, I just picked up a Canon Powershot S90. It goes all the way to F/2.0 and takes really good indoor shots for a point and shoot. I'm pretty sure that it has the larger sensor usually found in the medium sized G10/G11 Canon cameras so it also gives you less noise when shooting at higher ISO (needed in the dark).

In addition to having all of the standard photo controls, there is a control ring arond the lens that you can use to quickly adjust things like white balance, aperture, shutter speed etc so you don't have to jump into an on-screen menu to use the advanced features.

Here in Canada it usually goes for around $400 so it should be a bit cheaper in the states.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12