Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Camera Recommendations...

I am getting a camera for my birthday
    But I have no idea what one to get!
    Can you get a decent point and shoot for about $400? If not, then how much?
    I just want it to take good pictures lol especially at night!
    And it HAS to use an SD card - that is non-negotiable.
    I'd also really like a lithium or cadmium? battery.

Anything specific that I should be looking for in a camera or any suggestions of cameras?

Thank you
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Re: Camera Recommendations...

Pretty much anything by Nikon is a can't be disappointed camera. I'm sure you would be happy with a Nikon Cool Pix. It's under $400 and it'll do all the basics plus some extras. Unless you are looking for an SLR type camera, then those can get expensive. But that's my suggestion, anyway.

• Down Pluto!

PowerShot G11

ISO 3200 & image stabilized - great for night shots... $499 list, can be found for less than $450

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I have been looking for a new camera, too. I have been looking on steves digicams website forums and the camera they recommend the most is the Panasonic FZ35. It's somewhere around $350

Point-and-shoot, or a digital SLR?

Look for one that you like the menuing and such. Most cameras will be equivalent in picture size, sensor, and all. Is there something special you're looking for? I don't like moving parts, so I got a Casio, which uses rocker switches and buttons instead of a wheel. For my SLR, I got a Nikon D5000 in part because I liked the menu system.

Go to a place that will let you use them, turn them on, take sample pictures with them (and then buy your camera from that place, in order to support them). That's really the best way to find out which ones you like.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• no flash photography...

I have this for my point and shoot:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX200IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001SER45Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267654127&s r=8-14"]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX200IS 12 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Black): Electronics[/ame] (my mother and daughter have the same camera. We all have a different color. They copied me...)

I don't know what card it takes. I have never had to use more than one.

WE also have an olympus which is decent enough. I'm not sure the model. I often take the olympus to DL, because it's smaller than the canon above.

My main camera is a dslr, but it's cumbersome to take everywhere.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Point-and-shoot, or a digital SLR?
    I am not sure... I don't even know the differencebetween the two.
    I just want one that will take good day and night pictures, isnot too difficult to figure out and isn't more than $500. I am gonig to to try to find a camera type store around here to check some out and buy from them.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and keep them comnig lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

Point and shoots are the little pocket cameras. SLRs are the more advanced ones, usually more full-size. Both have advantages.

My Casio point-and-shoot does ok in low-light, but the SLR does much better since I have a lot of flexibility in the exposure. More exposure settings means better pictues and more options, but sometimes it can take a minute to get the camera set up to take the shot. They have an "auto" setting, but the camera sometimes has strange ideas about what is a good setting. Also I think the SLR takes a bit longer to auto-focus than my point-and-shoot.

Neither gets good shots inside something like Pirates; Small World can be dicey, too. You can play with exposure settings on either kind of camera.

Just about anything will take good pictures during the day- those are easy. Low-light is where things get interesting, and more challenging.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I am not sure... I don't even know the differencebetween the two.
    A world of difference.. and the main reason you want to accept the trade-offs is for quality.

If you just want a camera that you can take around and take good photos.. you can have Point and Shoots for less then $200.

If you want a camera that can take all the lens , has all the controls, and the glass required to get those epic pictures you probably gush about on sites like here, you'll need a DSLR. Except you'd be buying probably way more camera then you'd ever want to use. For camera people - the camera body is often the CHEAP part of their camera kit - and they don't just pop out the camera and hit the button.

DSLRs take amazing photos - but they cost amazing dollars, are big, and aren't Grandma friendly. They are the true aficionado's cameras - though in the digital age they have become much more popular for more amateurs.

Don't even consider that type of investment unless you know what you are persuing.

Make your decisions on
    - what type of style are you looking for? a take anywhere camera? or one that you know you have with you at all times
    - what is your expectation of picture quality?
    - what environments will you use it in most often?
    - do you want video? if so what will you use the videos for? (help steer resolution and framerate needs)

Things like storage format, batteries, etc are just how you chose between models. Not sure why you are hung up on SD - a $10 card reader solves any format questions. Most everything but pro-sumer stuff uses SDHC now anyways.

I would put more usability things on your shopping list to compare
    - battery life and type
    - cycle time between photos
    - speed to first shot
    - size and form factor
    - image quality and AF performance
    - video capabilities (resolutions, framerates, AF/zoom limits)

Most of the review sites will go line by line through these types of stats.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disney Fan & Musician

Always go for the mid to high level Canon models. That G11 that Sambo posted is great!
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

As far as point and shoots go, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 was MUCH better at low light shooting than the Canon G9 or G10, but I'm not sure about the G11. The G11 probably will be a better camera for close ups, but the Lumix has a Leica wide angle lens on it, and stops down to f2.0. So...I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for.

I had a Canon G9 for a point and shoot and traded it in for the Lumix and have never looked back. The G9 was horrible in low light. Nothing but noise as soon as you got anywhere near ISO 800.

For comparison of shots, you might consider looking at collections in Flickr groups.

For the lumix, try...

Flickr: The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pool

and for the Canon G11, try

Flickr: Canon G11 ISO 400

For side by side comparison of features, try

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Do keep in mind that both of these cameras are kind of bulky as far as point and shoots go. Neither will fit easily into your pocket, but both will shoot RAW format and if you are interested in doing some post processing, either would be a good investment for around $400.

Having said that, if the size of the camera doesn't bother you, I would drop the idea of a point and shoot and spend about $450 for the Nikon D40 DSLR or a Canon Rebel XS. The Canon seems like a much better camera at this price and it would allow you to purchase other lenses in the future if you get more serious about your photography in the future.

If you decide to get one online, watch out for those low priced retailers like Broadway photo, etc. They are there simply to rip you off. Be sure to try a more reputable online store like Adorama or Amazon.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 03-08-2010 at 07:27 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help and info!!
    I think I just want a point and shoot. I jsut want to take good pics on vactions,in the parks and outside. Honestly, I don;t think I';ll get more involved than jsut as a casual picturetaker

I don't TOTALLY care about the size,because I'll have it in a bag and not my pocket. But of course I don't want a huge extra bag lol

It has to be an sd because I already have the eye-fi card for it

I am planning on checking them out in person, hopefully from a local place. I have to see what we have around here
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Hooterville, USA

Take a camera class and expand your horizons.

I'm signing up this semester.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Ok... I have been looking but most of the ones you guys listed I couldn't find. I think they are too fancy for me lol

The G11 looked pretty good but really complicated. I think I am going to be going for a slightly cheaper camera. And basically what I can find at Best buy, which sucks but that's the way it is.

I liked the Canon Powershot SX120 but the reviews aren't that great. Basically they say that its great in manual mode but not so good in others, and the batteries die quickly (AA)

I was also looking at the new Pnansonic Lumix Zs5 - which has few reviews but are mostly postitve or the newer Lumix FH22/FS33 - which has pretty much no reviews. I didn't have much of a chance to play w/them because the batteries were dead. I don't lik the on/off swtch (as opposed to a button)

Any opinions on those or know of any reviews? The main places I looked were lacking. TY!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Pilot EdForceOne

all I can say is.. don't buy at best buy. Look at models there if you need to get the feel, etc.. but don't pay those inflated prices.

Price shop against amazon, newegg, etc and buy from there with confidence. No tax, usually free shipping, and better prices.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast