• Merry 2014!

T.V. tuner in your computer

Could that take the place of your regular t.v.? Anyone have any experience with that?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: T.V. tuner in your computer

I've had two Sony Vaio computers with TV tuners in them. Right now it is the only tv in our bedroom. I can watch it full screen or in the corner of my monitor when I am using the computer.

• Banned User

my question is why??????

call me old fashioned, but isnt the whole purpose of a tv is to watch tv?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    my question is why??????

because a computer is everything a TV is and way more.

Why do you have a DVR, DVD player, BluRay Player, laptop, TV, and computer... if you could have just one that did it all?

That's why..

TV Tuners are a core element of most HTPC (Home Theatre PCs)
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• no flash photography...

yes, We both have one. The one if my Bf's office took the place of his TV. He has dual monitors in there. Mine did not take the place of my TV. I sometimes watch it in the corner, but I mostly use it as a DVR and watch the recordings on the flat screen tv.

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    my question is why??????

Because of times being what they are, I have to turn off either the internet or the cable. I was going to get a new computer soon so I was wondering about the viability of using a computer as a t.v. Computers with t.v. tuners are more money but in the long run it might be worth it.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    Because of times being what they are, I have to turn off either the internet or the cable. I was going to get a new computer soon so I was wondering about the viability of using a computer as a t.v. Computers with t.v. tuners are more money but in the long run it might be worth it.
    I just bought a tv tuner for the computer I built. It was on woot for $19.99 and it works great.

• Merry 2014!

Wow, you built a computer? Is that difficult, could anyone do it? I didn't know you could buy a tuner separately, so will look into that.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Wow, you built a computer? Is that difficult, could anyone do it? I didn't know you could buy a tuner separately, so will look into that.
    I bought mine as an HP package from Costco. 24 inch wide screen monitor and a tv tunner card that was factory installed. it also has an HDMI output you can use for output to a flat screen. 24 inch is good for watching tv in a small window and working on the computer at the same time. I use the DVR function a lot.

for a desktop you need to know if you have a PCI or a PCI Express card slot available. I also have two USB tuners.

I the best company I have found is Hauppauge. the HP component is supplied by Hauppauge and one of the USB tuners is Hauppauge. I also have an older Pinnacle USB tuner, but the quality of the picture isn't as good as Hauppauge and I found the Pinnacle software difficult to use and the Pinnacle requires external power, the Hauppauge is USB powered.

the Hauppage USB tuner needs a USB 2 port and comes wth a portable antenna. it can also be connected to standard cable. it works great in my newer laptop. I have also tried it with an older desktop. it works well with SD tv, but the HD tv is a little choppy at times. I'm not sure if it is because the processor can't keep up or it is because for the display chip on the motherboard.

if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 you should have Windows Media Center that will work with both tuners without using any additional programs. (Windows 7 Starter(?) on mini laptops don't come with Windows Media Center, you have to buy the upgrade to full version of Windows 7). I find Windows Media Center easier to use than the ones supplied by Hauppage or Pinnacle.
    Last edited by gary94080; 03-19-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo

• Merry 2014!

Wow, thanks for the great info on tuners. Bookmarked. It will come in handy. I haven't looked at Costco yet but will do that soon.

It doesn't sound like I'd be sacrificing too much by using only the internet for t.v. and one less bill to pay. Except relaxing on the couch since I'll have a desktop.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

if your going to cancel cable, you will still be able to get broadcast signals. most major stations broadcast digital HD. if you are only going to watch shows over the internet you don't need a tuner card.

a lot of shows are available on the internet, the only problem would be the speed of your connection. sometimes it gets a little choppy when the traffic is heavy.

I haven't seen any HP bundles at Costco with tuners lately. you can get the tuner card or USB tuner at Best Buy if you want it right away or get them online. if you are going to get a new desktop to record I would recommend getting a 1 TB hard drive. I upgraded mine from 500 GB by getting a 1 TB for the main drive and keeping the original as a second. 1 hour shows are around 3.5 GB for SD. HD is around 5.5 GB

for a small room watching tv on a 24 inch wide screen is not too bad. 32 inch would be better but that is a little big when you are sitting at the desk.
    Last edited by gary94080; 03-19-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: added info

• Down Pluto!

Wow, you built a computer? Is that difficult, could anyone do it?
    I find that funny as the only desktops I have ever had, I built myself. The only computers I haven't built - are the laptops.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.