• The Study of Wumbo

Red Face Wumbology's iTunes Troubles

I've been having trouble with my iTunes. Actually, it seems like every couple months, some chain of events happens and I have to re-organize everything. But right now, I'm not sure which way to go, so I'm looking to see if someone could point me in the right direction?

I'm using a Dell Laptop that is a couple years old; it's the family computer (although I use it most often.) I have over 950 songs and a good amount of videos and podcasts on my iTunes. I'm using a two year-old 80GB iPod Classic.

This computer was running out of space on the disk, so my mom, (supposedly with the help of Dell Support,) moved my iTunes folders onto our external hard drive. She assumed "it's fine, you just have to run your iTunes off of the hard drive." I believe that's how we are running my dad's iTunes as well.

However, when I logged onto iTunes, none of my music was in the library. I went to Preferences, and changed the iTunes Media folder location to the folder on the hard drive. Nothing happened. I then moved the "iTunes Music Library" .xml file onto my desktop, and dragged it onto the iTunes window. That was what I gathered from Apple's website.

The few items I had bought from AmazonMP3 showed up in my library, as well as a few videos that I had downloaded for my iPod from the internet. A window popped up, saying something along the lines of "many items were not added to the library because they could not be found."

So, I'm looking to be able to keep my music files on the external hard drive but continue using iTunes on this computer. There's not enough room left on the Local Disk (C: ) to keep it there.

Thanks so much for your consideration, and I'd appreciate any advice you could give.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Re: Wumbology's iTunes Troubles

I'm not exactly sure I'm following what your problem is since it's usually best for me to physically look at what's going on with a computer.

I don't have an easy solution, so I\if anything, you can just do things the long way: clear out everything out of your itunes library and then re-add all your files into your library using your files in your new external hard drive. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• Mrs. J. Depp

AHHH This SAME thing happened to me last January!!! We had our old Dell desktop and it had sucky memory so I took the things that used the most memory (music and pictures) and moved it all over to an external hard drive we had gotten. I was surprised to find out that My iTunes was empty, completely empty and I did all the same things you did to try and get my songs back, but it didn't work. Finally, I googled this problem and found a way to transfer the songs from my iPod back to the computer. I don't think all of them transfered, but pretty darn close to all of them did. If I find some instructions for that, I'll post them here. Unless by now you have already resolved this problem.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• The Study of Wumbo

I took a risk (as I saw it) and dragged all the song files from the drive into the library. I had to re-make my playlists, but it seems to be working. And when I've added things to the library it seems to have gone into the drive instead of the computer, which is good. Thanks for your advice.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Mrs. J. Depp

Yeah no problem. Good luck and I hope everything keeps working out.
    Since we got our new computer, I had all the music files on the external already because we used the external to transfer files to the new computer, so I just kept the music files where they were but kept iTunes on the actual computer and just pathed it so that when the external is on, all the music works in iTunes, and when it's off, it doesn't. It's like a light bulb went off in my head and I knew that would work. I also keep Limewire and all it's files on the external as well.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Welcome to the stupidity that is iTunes.

When you add music into iTunes, it adds an entry into the library (what you see in iTunes) and notes where the physical mp3/aac file is. From then on, if you move the physical file, iTunes will 'lose' the file and can't play it. If you attempt to, it will say it can not find it, and if you wish to locate the file. That works fine if you move a handful of files, but if you move tons.. you're screwed.

iTunes can not automatically handle files being moved. If you do not wish to lose anything setup on the library entry (ratings, playcounts, playlists, etc) you need to help iTunes find each file.

Changing where the library is in iTunes setting doesn't fix anything.. that just says where iTunes should save files. So that is where it will put stuff in the future. Your downloaded stuff still worked because probably you didn't move it.. because it was likely in a different location then your 'other' mp3s. Just check the file location by doing a get info on a track in iTunes to see where it expects the real file to be.

When you add everything back into iTunes, it will likely just create a duplicate entry.. causing your library to get really messy. If you have auto-arrange on, you might get lucky and iTunes would associate it to the original record... but I don't think so.

Lesson learned - don't do that.

But if you don't rely on things like ratings or playlists... just delete all the entries and re-add the music to your library. Assuming you don't have lots and lots of crazy manual playlists.. that's usually your simplest way.

For Mac Users, there may be some applescripts to change where music is stored, but even that won't be perfect.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged