• Katella

Another Camera related question!

Hey folks!!

So I've always used a regular digital camera...which fails miserably at taking the pictures i want to take. Things like, on ride photos (POTC) or performances (Fantasmic) and my camera just can't seem to grasp that concept. I tried changing the ISO, since I don't really know anything about it I tried lowest and highest, nothing works. Always blurry. I, of course, tried the "sport" setting, still blurry and horrible in low lighting!!

SO frustrating! I keep seeing the amazing photography on here and asked for a DSLR for Christmas this year. I was hoping for a Nikon but I ended up with a Sony A230. Thus far this thing has been nothing but trouble and won't even function in low light, literally won't even take a picture. It also gets confused during image transfer to my PC and deletes all of my pictures constantly!

My question is this, when I return this stupid failure of a camera which camera should I go for? I was thinking one of the Nikon cameras in the $400-$600 range.

Any advise is supremely appreciated!!!!
    -Kate

DLR/DCA: 8x 1999,2003,2007,2008,2009,2010,2012, 2014
    WDW: 1x 2009
    Tall Ship Sailor: ​Lady Washington 2011

• Katella

Re: Another Camera related question!

Looks like the D3000 is the only option in my price range really, anyone know if this one is valid for what I'm intending to use it for?

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

For the blurriness, you have to have extremely stable hands or almost have it on a tripod in fast action settings for it to come out. In low lighting, remember the shutter has to stay open longer and they could also be contributing to the blurriness. If you can change any of the scene modes on it try the night setting and it'll fix it.

• Katella

Yeah, I tried night setting, that gives some crazy awesome light streams because it can't account for the speed. For example, the monkeys on the raft in Fantasmic. I tried sport and of course it's too dark. My lame little point and shoot digital camera doesn't let you set the shutter speed so it's worthless for these uses. It's an Olympus Sylus 840.

My Sony DSLR, however, I have not yet tested at a Disney park, I tested it outdoors at night and it refused to even try to take a picture in the dark. I would think it would at least try, since it has a flash and a night setting, but nothing happens it just makes a click noise and that's all.

• Nerd

I have the canon rebel T1i. Its awesome. easy to operate, takes amazing pictures, HD video...I got it for around that price at best buy.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

That's funny I have an Olympus Stylus 1010. I can't remember what setting I had to use to clear up the problems you are having. But I do know what you are talking about. I believe I have a night scene but an option to choose ppl in it. I think I may have had to turn off the flash while I was in the night scene mode.

• Katella

CMHusband, thanks for that, sounds awesome, mine doesn't even have video! I'll check that one out!

1Disneylandfan, awesome I will try the night with portrait, at least thats what mine has. I'll keep monkeying with it.

• Down Pluto!

If a higher ISO and open aperature doesn't work without trails and blurring, a tripod is in order. There are great little portables that fold up to 10" or less.

However - the basic problem with the Sony is the lens - with a F/3.5-5.6 lens it takes a great deal of light to get a good exposure. Dark/night shots are nearly impossible. To get crisp, clear, low light shots a camera that supports additional lenses and an f1.8 (or better yet - an f1.2 if you afford it) is essential.

The Nikon or Canon is a much better choice.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    If a higher ISO and open aperature doesn't work without trails and blurring, a tripod is in order. There are great little portables that fold up to 10" or less.

However - the basic problem with the Sony is the lens - with a F/3.5-5.6 lens it takes a great deal of light to get a good exposure. Dark/night shots are nearly impossible. To get crisp, clear, low light shots a camera that supports additional lenses and an f1.8 (or better yet - an f1.2 if you afford it) is essential.

The Nikon or Canon is a much better choice.
    Good post right here.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• no flash photography...

I agree with sambo...on dslr it's the lens that makes the difference not so much the camera body. I usually use my dlsr in manual mode...except for focus unless I'm doing macro...then focus is manual as well.