• Banned User

what laptop is best for me?

Hey my laptops screen just took a dive on me, besides it was from 2002 anyways, I am starting to save up some money for a new laptop, I plan on surfing the web, playing games... basically all I want it for, and watching movies too, so what laptop would you recomend? It doesn't need to be a mind blowing graphics card, just something that can handle a few games, old and current

• Down Pluto!

Re: what laptop is best for me?

You post that here knowing the majority answer would be a Macbook?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Water rides are evil.

I will give you the advice that I give to everyone who asks. Decide how much you want to spend and then go out looking for the best deal for the best system for that price.

If you're looking for a brand name to look towards, ASUS or Toshiba. They have the lowest number of failures in any notebook brand in the first 3 years. HP is dead last and Apple is in the middle.

NEW SURVEY PUTS ASUS AND TOSHIBA LAPTOPS FIRST AND HP DEAD LAST

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    I will give you the advice that I give to everyone who asks. Decide how much you want to spend and then go out looking for the best deal for the best system for that price.
    Great advice... give them some ballpark ranges as well though..

like you can expect some to be in the $400-$600 range.. then another band about $800-$1100.. and then you have the Apple prices
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

I was looking at HP's online, I like Dell but I fear they may be too much, I'm currently typing on a Compaq computer which is owned by HP... I was looking at Toshibas last night, I'm thinking that if I decide to buy a new laptop, it'll be a Toshiba... the simple laptops run between 4-600 bucks, thats well withn my price range

• Down Pluto!

What TTechGuy and flynnibus said...

My joking about Apple users aside, the Macs are a good choice should you go there - some of us prefer not to. The ASUS or Toshiba would be my brand of choice right now. HP's have dropped in quality, but are still not terrible.

Dell IMHO are a crapshoot as I know of two recent purchasers of Dell laptops and one person loves it and after less than 6 months has no problems. The other has had several failures and is wishing he had made a different choice.

Go out and try them. Even a few minutes with each unit in a big box store will tell you if you don't want that model.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

As far as PC end, I've had a Sony laptop and it's still running, it's about 5 years old maybe a bit more. And I also have a Sony desktop that is probably 10 years old, and my experience with Sony is their product is good, and yes they are on the pricey side, but IMHO you get what you pay for.

I currently use MAC both laptop and desktop. I love it of course. I had been wanting to make the change for a long time and just didn't want to spend the money and about a year ago, I finally did. I don't regret it, I actually wished I had done it earlier.

I agree that Dell can be a crapshoot. But Toshiba isn't bad either.

• Banned User

I'm wondering how good a Toshiba gaming laptop is, I know a Dell gaming laptop would probably blow my mind but was wondering if a Toshiba laptop built specifically for gaming could compete. On Toshibas website it has the cheapest gaming laptop runnin at just over 1,000 bucks

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My laptop is a 17.3" HP and I love it. My 2nd ever desktop back in the late 90's was a HP and it lasted for several years before it bit the dust. Never had any issues with it. No issues yet with the laptop either. It's lightning compared to my 2 year old Sony Vaio laptop. My mom has a HP laptop as well and she hasn't had any issues either (besides being technology challenged and calling me every time she doesn't know how to do something).

I would kill to own a 17" MacBook Pro, but it's waaaaay out of my budget (unless I get 100 raises in the near future). So I settled for the HP because to me it's the next best thing. But it all comes down to personal preference (and budget).

if you are not in a hurry wait for a Best Buy sale.

I got this for $450. I'm told that it's lower than you can get on Dell online site.

Dell Inspiron 1440
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Pentium Dual-Core CPU T3200 @ 2.10GHz
    3.00 GB Ram
    64-bit Operating System
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Integrated Webcam
    Ice Blue Cover (they charge $40 extra for that at the Dell site)

I was going to buy a mini but you have to pay $40 more to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Home Premium and $50 for an external DVD, it made more sense to get the 14 inch. the only thing missing is an HDMI port.