Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• future rockstar/imagineer

Re: Anyone else get an iPad?

Mine came in yesterday, and I'm on it right now! I got the 3G and it's absolutely incredible.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Its size makes it a laptop replacement for some.
    When it can do what my laptop can do, then it can be called a laptop replacement. It may do some of the things that some people do on laptops, but what the iPad can do doesn't come close to what a laptop can do.

I agree content creation is a little limited now but the device has only been out for a few weeks now. I can guarantee you adobe will make some version of photoshop for it or what ever kind of content you create, its coming.
    It won't. You won't be able to do video content creation on it. Coding on it would suck beyond all belief. Trying to manage server clusters on it would suck. Photoshop, while it might partially work on the iPad, won't be very useful since everything would have to be touch. You'd think that would make photoshop easier, but it wouldn't really. Too much is done in photoshop with keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys that are a PAIN to access on a touchscreen keyboard that has to disappear to give you access to the screen.

I wouldn't just judge it on tech. why do you think Microsoft's tablets failed.
    I'm not just judging it on tech... I'm judging it based on what it is designed to do. And it isn't designed to do what laptops are designed to do. Calling it a "laptop replacement" in any respect is a marketing ploy. It isn't justified in terms of hardware or software. And telling me this is just 1st gen isn't going to cut it either. Cameras and external ports have been around for a decade or more... Apple could have put them in if they wanted too.

no external ports for devices? your still thinking like the failed windows tablet. everything is wifi and bluetooth now and what do you really need to connect to an ipad?
    Not everything is wifi and bluetooth now. Camcorders, cameras, scanners, printers... very few are wifi/bluetooth. And if you try to transfer very large file sizes over wifi/bluetooth to/from these devices, they have a tendency to crap out. You can't even plug your iPod into your iPad to listen to your tunes. No ethernet port. As great as WiFi is and all... a nice cat5 or 6 cable trumps it any day of the week. Can't hook it up to a monitor either. Can't hook a mouse or a keyboard up to it... things that would be essential to some applications for which the iPad was not designed. How about taking photos off your camera to your iPad... oops, no SD card slot and no USB to plug in a card reader.

DRM'd to death? PC programs are drm'd and serialed too. Im glad apple has some regulations. my ipad/iphone hardly ever crashes and its fast fast fast. also its already been jailbroken so you can have your cake and it too if you want.
    My PC hardly ever crashes either. In fact, my iPod has crashed more times this year than my computer. I'm not talking about application DRM. I understand that sort of thing. It's the content DRM that makes no sense at all, but that is an argument for another thread entirely. Suffice it to say that I will not buy DRM content as the only person it hurts is the honest consumer and it does nothing to stop, slow or deter piracy. Apple DRM is draconian. Did you know that the iPhone OS (on which the iPhone, iPad and iPods all run) has the in-built ability to remotely revoke at any time, for any reason, the digital certificate of any application or media? In layman's terms, they can disable any media (video/mp3/etc) or application on your device despite your having purchased it. Amazon tried this a while ago with a book on the Kindle and got reamed over it. Steve Jobs explained that one away by saying that they "would never use it, but it would be irresponsible to not have that kind of power over the devices."

Steve Jobs continues to profess how anti-DRM he is, yet he continually puts it on his devices. It took years and constant complaints from consumers and consumer groups to get it taken off of iTunes. Steve claimed he always wanted to. Right... it took till 2009 for it to happen.

In it's license agreements, Apple very clearly spells out that its devices (iPad, iPod, iPhone) are media consumption devices, but that all media is at the discretion of Apple. They can flip the switch on any app or media at any time at their own discretion. This is bad. You may not see it that way, but it is essentially giving up your freedom to view/download what you want when you want and letting Apple decide what you get to see and download. Apple controls with an iron fist what can be created, disseminated and viewed under their systems. It is a top-down model which is the exact opposite of free-market economics.

Sorry to rant on Apple, Microsoft has its myriad problems as well... and I could probably fill a post this size with complaints about them and any other computer company. However, Apple is marketing itself as this great, wonderful, nice and fluffy company when really they are every bit as bad, if not worse in some respects, as the others.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 05-04-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    I'll be waiting for the HP Slate. If I want a glorified iPod touch, I want a glorified iPod touch that can run flash.

BADUM-CHIH.
    Do not know if you have been following, but it seems that between deciding to purchase Palm and continued problems with trying to run a full version of Windows 7, the Slate is dead. I really hope the HP acquisition is giving developers confidence that webOS will remain alive and have given renewed consideration to developing for the platform. I was thinking I would most likely wait for the second generation iPad before seriously considering purchasing one, but I would gladly choose a webOS tablet over an iPad. I would be really interested to see how a webOS tablet would interact with my phone via the Palm Profile cloud.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Do not know if you have been following, but it seems that between deciding to purchase Palm and continued problems with trying to run a full version of Windows 7, the Slate is dead. I really hope the HP acquisition is giving developers confidence that webOS will remain alive and have given renewed consideration to developing for the platform. I was thinking I would most likely wait for the second generation iPad before seriously considering purchasing one, but I would gladly choose a webOS tablet over an iPad. I would be really interested to see how a webOS tablet would interact with my phone via the Palm Profile cloud.
    Agree with you. I'm upset over the axing of the Slate as it looked really promising. Hopefully Microsoft will agree to doing a slimmed down OS with some REAL baked in touch capabilities. The HP touch systems are really good. I'm more than willing to let HP et. al. watch the iPad and learn from its mistakes and growth so that they can have a much better release.

There are rumblings of a google pad of some sort as well as several others coming. As with the iPad though, I'll be highly critical of their usability and functionality. I was at Best Buy last night and for a cool $700 I can get a 17.5" laptop with a FULL (including 10key) keyboard, bluray player, superdrive, 4 gb ram, bluetooth, wifi, lan, video card, webcam, 500gb hdd and full control over what i do with it. SO worth the extra couple hundred for a fully functioning laptop. So worth it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

Both the HP and Microsoft Tablets (Slate and Courier) have been canceled.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

Saw that flynn. Though from what MS has been saying, the Courier was never meant to be released publicly. Like a concept product only.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by expedition_evan View Post
    Mine came in yesterday, and I'm on it right now! I got the 3G and it's absolutely incredible.

I'll second this. Mine came on Friday, and it's just freaking amazing. My main problem right now is that I keep thinking of it as a large iphone rather than a small laptop. It's everything I've always wished my iphone was plus more. Much more responsive, way faster and easier to use. Typing is really no problem for me as I got the case as well. The keyboard is surprisingly responsive. It's really somewhere in the middle, but I've already downloaded a bazillion books, a few magazines (digital photography is amazing!) movies and TV shows (videos are gorgeous) and more than a few apps, including a stack from my iphone. Couldn't care less about usb, or lack of flash, etc, etc, but I know that those will be issues for other folks.

The ipad rocks.

One million in just over a month? Is anyone else amazed by that? I heard earlier projections of maybe 400,000 by the end of the year. I have to wonder if anyone really thought that a million of these would fly off the shelves this fast.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 05-05-2010 at 09:31 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Agree with you. I'm upset over the axing of the Slate as it looked really promising. Hopefully Microsoft will agree to doing a slimmed down OS with some REAL baked in touch capabilities. The HP touch systems are really good. I'm more than willing to let HP et. al. watch the iPad and learn from its mistakes and growth so that they can have a much better release.
    Well, if Microsoft does decide to try and use something besides Windows 7, maybe a version of Windows Phone 7 (three operating systems seems to be a bit much), I doubt that it will be with HP. They are spending just over $1 billion on Palm and keeping the company mostly intact as a business unit (as opposed to the Compaq merger). If HP only wanted Palm's patents they would not need the people. It seems clear that HP has further plans for webOS, and as I said earlier I really hope those plans include a tablet.

• See you there!

I have the opposite problem... I think of my iPhone as an iPan mini.

Other than that I think my iPad is great! I like the fact that I can browse the web from my sofa. Read and respond to Micechat from my sofa. I also use it as a casual computing device for games and light word processing.

I initially debated on whether I "needed" one, but now I can't imagine being without it.

CU@DL

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I'll second this. Mine came on Friday, and it's just freaking amazing. My main problem right now is that I keep thinking of it as a large iphone rather than a small laptop. It's everything I've always wished my iphone was plus more. Much more responsive, way faster and easier to use. Typing is really no problem for me as I got the case as well. The keyboard is surprisingly responsive. It's really somewhere in the middle, but I've already downloaded a bazillion books, a few magazines (digital photography is amazing!) movies and TV shows (videos are gorgeous) and more than a few apps, including a stack from my iphone. Couldn't care less about usb, or lack of flash, etc, etc, but I know that those will be issues for other folks.

The ipad rocks.

One million in just over a month? Is anyone else amazed by that? I heard earlier projections of maybe 400,000 by the end of the year. I have to wonder if anyone really thought that a million of these would fly off the shelves this fast.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• PERRY SCORES!!!!

Like others have said, i personally dont like the iPad. if i were to get a free one like A113, i would use it, but i personally think its just an iPod touch with one special capanbility... the capability to not be carried around in your pocket and taken anywhere.

And as someone previously mentioned, rarely get 1st gen, usually wait for a good.

We are the corps The Cavaliers,
    There is no corps we fear,
    We march along and sing this song,
    For we know that we never never will go wrong, so
    March onto victory Cavaliers,
    As we march on through the years,
    We march along and sing this song,
    For we are The Cavaliers.

1...2...3... SPLOOIEEEE

• future rockstar/imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post

Other than that I think my iPad is great! I like the fact that I can browse the web from my sofa. Read and respond to Micechat from my sofa. I also use it as a casual computing device for games and light word processing.

I initially debated on whether I "needed" one, but now I can't imagine being without it.

CU@DL

Andy
    I completely agree! I've barely put mine down since It came in. I bought pages to try out and I was really surprised at how easy it was to use especially with my keyboard dock.

Did anybody else order the apple case? Mine came in the other day and i think it's great! I like how it folds to prop up.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Did anybody else order the apple case? Mine came in the other day and i think it's great! I like how it folds to prop up.
    I've heard the apple case is not that great...there is another case that is getting great reviews. It's actually leather....at any rate leo laport (sp?) on twit was given a large amount of cases and he did a review on all of them. The apple case was ranked at the bottom.

Leo loves the ipad...he's bought about 8 of them so far.....

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post

CU@DL

Andy
    Wow that's frickin' amazing!

Except I can do all that from my sofa with my laptop - as well as use Photoshop to edit the pictures I downloaded from my camera.

I can also make phone calls via Skype - all at the same time.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Wow that's frickin' amazing!

Except I can do all that from my sofa with my laptop - as well as use Photoshop to edit the pictures I downloaded from my camera.

I can also make phone calls via Skype - all at the same time.
    it's not even close to being a laptop replacement. It's an entertainment/consumption device. I read a review someone did on it. it was pretty interesting. The credit for the success of the ipad should not go to apple. They delivered a bare bones product. What makes it are the apps. Most people rave about certain apps that they love...apple did not even write those apps. It was just interesting to me.

This release is to lacking. i will see what the second release looks like.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by expedition_evan View Post
    I completely agree! I've barely put mine down since It came in. I bought pages to try out and I was really surprised at how easy it was to use especially with my keyboard dock.

We have the Apple case for our iPads. I am sure there are other's that are just as good, but we really like our Apple cases.

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast