• For You!

Digital Photo, Negative Converter

So, I am one of the people with boxes of pictures (and recently acquired 2 giant rubbermaid bins of pictures from my mom). And i want to scan them all - quickly, and easily. Now, I have an HP scanner that scans beautifully. But, I have to lift the lid, position the picture, okay the scan, save the scan, etc.

So, I bought a little pandigital converter and the idea is great, but the scans are worthless. They have white lines through the pictures and the DPI is only 300, so not that great of quality. I've read a few reviews on other quick scanners, but the reviews are 50/50.

So, Micechatters - what do you have that works quick, easy and has great quality?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Down Pluto!

Re: Digital Photo, Negative Converter

Cannon 8400. Does several slides or a strip of negatives at once and I can set the resolution manually. I find 1200dpi to 2400dpi works for me. The scanner cost be about $90 a year ago.

Scanning actual photos works fine, but it is a bit like copying a copy - results aren't perfect and need some Photoshop work to clean them up. Photos are not quick, but I can do a few at a time and crop later.

Negatives work best.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I have an epson v700 scanner, I would suggest it to anyone, it's pricey, they have a lesser model the v500 which is good, the canon scanners are also good. The higher the resolution (dpi) the slower it will scan, don't be fooled by marketing ploys to give a file at a crazy high dpi, the dpi tend to be irrelevant, you can print an image with around 100 dpi, most digital cameras output at 72 and raw files only output 240-300 depending on the camera. Anyways enough pixel talk, epson, canon, and microtek are brands I would look into. Also there are plenty of services that will scan your old family photos and slides/negatives, so you may want to look into this, higher end scanners get pricey and if this is a one time deal it may be cheaper for you to pay someone else to do it it may be less expensive to do this rather then buy a scanner.

• Down Pluto!

DPI is somewhat irrelevant when scanning prints due to the image being placed on paper and scanning the paper. When scanning negatives however, you should scan at a resolution to match the clarity of the image. Typically for a 35mm negative that is at least a 1000 DPI and up to 3000 DPI.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.