• Future Princess

Smile Good Camera Suggestions?

My birthday's approaching and I'm asking for a new camera. I've only had one digital camera for the past 6 years (got it on my 10th birthday ) which was a 5mp Canon that I managed to take some fantastic photos with over the years. However it's recently decided to give up on me and die

I was originally looking into getting an entry-level DSLR, but after looking into my options, I realised I would probably get frustrated with having to lug the various lenses around with me just to get good photos.

So now I'm looking into the superzoom range.
    My current pick is probably the Canon Powershot SX1 IS.
    Has anyone got one of these babies? From the reviews I've read, it seems pretty fantastic for someone like me who wants something that takes better photos than the regular point & shoot.

I'm still giving a couple of the entry level DSLR's a look over before I rule anything out, so any advice would be very welcome!
    I'm really just looking for something reasonably lightweight (not talking tiny like the credit card sized p&s cameras you can get), that I can travel with but takes good quality photos and video. I have no issue with the body size of the smaller SLR's but once you add on the lenses, it really does get quite bulky.

I'll also be taking it on my trip to California, which comes 2 days after my birthday, so keep in mind I'll be taking a lot of Disney shots with it

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• Senior Minion

Re: Good Camera Suggestions?

Well, i love taking photos and am in the same dilhema as you. I want a DSLR, but don't want to have to carry the stuff in the parks. I currently have an Olympus something that I got 2 years ago. It's pretty good, but I really want something along the lines of what SirDidymus used in his most recent trip report. If u talk to him, he got a nice Nikon I believe(not a D90, my dream camera). It has some cool features one of which is the slower shutter speeds for whater shots.

I'll probably be feeding off this thread because I need a new camera.

As a middle ground you might want to look into one of the micro 4/3 system cameras. They are kind of like a DSLR but use a smaller sensor and no mirror so the body is pretty compact. You also have the option of upgrading lenses in the future if you want.

Olympus and Panasonic seem to be leading in the micro 4/3 market.

The biggest drawback is that it costs about the same as an entry level DSLR, but then you get some of the flexibility and upgradability without having to lug around large lenses and a large body.

Also, I haven't actually played with one so please take this as an idea rather than a recommendation.

• Senior Minion

In curiosity i went to Best Buy and i found this amazing Nikon. Couldnt get full details, but i took a few pictures and it was awesome. $279 on sale

• no flash photography...

I love my dslr, but I don't like carrying all the lenses around all the time. Especially going to somewhere like Disneyland. I bought a small point and shoot that has the features to control the aperture and shutter speed. While not as a good as the dslr it is quite adequate for casual shooting.

When I go places I have never been before I always bring the dlsr.

• Future Princess

I went to a number of places yesterday and fell in love with the Canon Powershot SX1 IS despite the $749 price tag. I also took a look at the Canon Rebel XS which is also in my price range, but with the lense attached, it was quite heavy.

So I'm still kinda stuck on what to get, although I'm leaning towards the powershot. My only concern is how much control I'll have over aperture and such for the depth of field shots.

I'm also still intending to get a reasonably cheap (below $170) p&s to keep in my pocket while I'm at Disney for the days when I don't want to be carrying around an SLR sized camera (the SX1 IS is virtually the same size as the Rebel XS.)

• Senior Minion

Well what types of pictures are you taking because you can look for a camera with certain features specifically for what you want.

I really want something that i can get good shots with at baseball games and my sister's soccer games so im looking for cameras with good zoom and multi shot/sports shot.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIzz View Post
    I also took a look at the Canon Rebel XS which is also in my price range, but with the lense attached, it was quite heavy.
    If you think the kit lens is heavy once you start buying lenses you'll think it's very heavy. The kit lens is the lightest lens I own and the one I use the least.

• Future Princess

I take photos of just about anything and everything.
    Hence, I'm looking at Extended Zoom or Entry Level DSLR as I need more creative freedom with what I'm shooting.
    Photo quality and manual control is what I'm focusing on for now.

My reasoning behind also purchasing a cheaper p&s is because I still like having the freedom to catch quick shots on the run and in a way, I kind of like the imperfections in more basic shots.

• Senior Minion

Nikon Coolpix L110
    lol, right below your post.

• Future Princess

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    If you think the kit lens is heavy once you start buying lenses you'll think it's very heavy. The kit lens is the lightest lens I own and the one I use the least.
    The model in the shop had a 70mm-300mm lens attached which would explain some of the heavyness! I haven't held one with only the kit lens attached yet, although I'd like to and probably will in a couple of days time.