Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mrs. J. Depp

Wireless internet is suddenly slow and driving me crazy!!

Within the last week, I noticed that my browser (Firefox) has become very sluggish and taking forever to load. So I tried IE and Google Chrome to see if my browser was the issue and it's not. Both of those were acting slow as well. I have troubleshooted and looked up every type of solution to this but don't want to screw anything up. This computer is new this year. It's a PC running Windows 7. I had zero problems until last week. It's not a virus or anything because we have good virus software. I have defragged, deleted history, temp files and cookies, etc. Has anybody had this problem? And if so, can you steer me in the right direction? Thank you.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Wireless internet is suddenly slow and driving me crazy!!

did you unplug your router and replug it, sometimes resetting it makes a world of difference

hope that helps!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    did you unplug your router and replug it, sometimes resetting it makes a world of difference
    ^this.

usually solves about 89.3581% of slow wireless internet problems..

if that doesn't fix it, you might want to check if it is the actual wireless broadcast that is the culprit. try getting an ethernet cable directly from your router to your PC and see if a wired connection gets everything back up to speed. it may not be the most desirable solution, but at least you'll be able to tell what's causing the problem.

might sound like a broken record since you've tried some solutions already.. but not knowing what you've already tried - pretty trivial, but i'll ask anyway: is your wireless network encrypted? make sure your wireless connection is encrypted as other neighbors 'leeching' off of your broadcast may be slowing things down on your end.

your actual internet provider could also be at fault.. if you have access to another or multiple computers, running a speedtest at Speedtest.net or Speakeasy.net and comparing those speeds to your problematic PC can help determine the cause. if everything BUT your PC has a fast connection, then something is wrong on your end.. if everything in general is going slow, you might want to give your Internet provider a call.
    -plagued

• Just this guy......

Is your wireless system password protected? If not there might be other people using your system and taking up your bandwidth.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I have actually already done everything that has been suggested. Unplugged the router and plugged it back because actually something happened and our internet disconnected so that's why I did it. I also ran a speed test which said our internet was up there with the fastness of dial up which is pretty darn slow.

I think I figured out what happened, I just don't know how to fix it. Every once in awhile our broadband will accidentally disconnect and we have to reconnect. Well after this happened the last time, somehow our connection switched from our normal broadband to our backup LAN. (I just checked in control panel) And the LAN is considerably slower. I'm worried that if I try to switch them, I'll just lose the internet connection altogether.

Facebook me!

• Hooterville, USA

Go for it! Under your internet connections you should have choices. Choose the best one.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I tried connecting the broadband but I keep getting an error message.

Facebook me!

• Down Pluto!

And that message says.....?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Water rides are evil.

Not knowing more about your network, it's kinda hard to make suggestions. You never know if someone is using the same terminology as what you are used to. If all else fails and you are still having issues with the wifi connection, consider changing the channel on the access point.

Most people just leave the default and if you are in an area where there are many access points that can cause you a problem competing with all the other ones on the same frequency. Intermod and harmonics can be so much fun.

Just my two cents.

had something similar to that happen a couple of years ago. it turned out to be the router was failing. one way to check it would be to hard wire to the router. if that is still slow. by pass the router and connect directly to the modem to see if your access returns to normal. if it does, replace the router. if not there could be a problem with the modem or the dsl or cable service.

• Mrs. J. Depp

The error message says that there is an error with the modem. But the modem is pretty new so I don't know what the problem is. This is making me go mad.
    I unplugged the router and modem and plugged back in. I guess the broadband won't work without the LAN connected, but the LAN by itself is a joke it's so slow. Downloading, page loading, itunes and video watching are nearly impossible right now.
    Last edited by IzzyInWonderland; 07-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Facebook me!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Ok I'm not sure what I did, lots of unplugging and plugging back in. But now the Broadband says "connecting" and is back to it's normal self. It's said "connecting" for about an hour so I'm not sure if this will hold when I turn the computer off and then on again tomorrow. We shall see....

Facebook me!

• Water rides are evil.

I'm glad to hear that everything is now working, but I'm really confused by how you're describing your network. The layout should be something like the following:

Cable/DSL wall jack ---> Cable/DSL modem/router ---> Wi-fi access point (this could be part of your modem/router)

There are probably ethernet connections on the modem/router that you can connect to for a wired connection to the broadband. For some cable modems, there is only 1 port that you connect to. If this is the case, most of those modems will not allow you to change the device attached to it without rebooting the modem. (Comcast) In those cases, you would connect the router/wi-fi access point to the modem and then restart it.

If everything is working well, then leave it all alone and it should be good. I just wanted to make it so that if there were more problems we could all be speaking the same language.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    I'm glad to hear that everything is now working, but I'm really confused by how you're describing your network. The layout should be something like the following:

Cable/DSL wall jack ---> Cable/DSL modem/router ---> Wi-fi access point (this could be part of your modem/router)

There are probably ethernet connections on the modem/router that you can connect to for a wired connection to the broadband. For some cable modems, there is only 1 port that you connect to. If this is the case, most of those modems will not allow you to change the device attached to it without rebooting the modem. (Comcast) In those cases, you would connect the router/wi-fi access point to the modem and then restart it.

If everything is working well, then leave it all alone and it should be good. I just wanted to make it so that if there were more problems we could all be speaking the same language.
    This whole thing confuses even me, and I'm usually pretty good with this stuff. We used to have a non-wireless connection with a modem. When we got our new computer, we somehow linked our old modem and the new wireless router so that the computer uses them both. The modem has the ethernet and dsl cables and the router has the wired and modem cables. I don't even understand how it works. Does that help?
    The connection seems to be back to normal still (phew) but I'd like to know what I can do if this happens in the future instead of giving myself a headache.

Facebook me!

• Water rides are evil.

So what you have is:

Wall --> Modem --> Router(possibly Modem too) --> ethernet
    |-->Wi-fi

Well, if the router is also a modem, that would be odd. More likely the router is just a wireless router with ethernet ports on it. If you're having problems with the wireless portion, the two biggest culprits would be a bunch of people close by you using the same channel of the wifi or a 2.4Ghz wireless phone being used close by you. If it's the channel, you can always change that in the setup in the router, if it's the wireless phone.....unless you can convince them not to use it, you're stuck. If you have a smartphone, many of them have a wifi analyzer that you can get for free to see what channels are open. The android app is "Wifi analyzer."

Hope that made sense and will help if you have any issues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    This whole thing confuses even me, and I'm usually pretty good with this stuff. We used to have a non-wireless connection with a modem. When we got our new computer, we somehow linked our old modem and the new wireless router so that the computer uses them both. The modem has the ethernet and dsl cables and the router has the wired and modem cables. I don't even understand how it works. Does that help?
    The connection seems to be back to normal still (phew) but I'd like to know what I can do if this happens in the future instead of giving myself a headache.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast