• That Guy

Buying a new iPHONE, but what to do with my old one?

Hello everyone, hope life is treating you well.

I plan on buying an iPHONE 4, but I'm unsure what to do with my current one. I think I heard once it is turned off, it will act like a touch, but I am unsure. I was also thinking of adding a line, and using my new one, and giving my old one to my Mom, but I'm not sure if that works with ATT.

Can I transfer my current number to my new phone, and have a new number issued to my old one?

Sanks!

Re: Buying a new iPHONE, but what to do with my old one?

It would be just like any other phone upgrade...you could sell the old one (eBay or Craigslist), give it away or like you said, add a line and have your Mom use it. The add a line is around $10/month but you'd also need to add a second data plan for the iPhone which is more $$...

I guess if you chose to add a line for your Mom you'd receive a promotional "free" phone to use or again, sell on eBay or Craigslist if Mom was going to use your old iPhone...

]

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

If you do anything but renew your contract you give up unlimited data
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• That Guy

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Is it true that an iPhone turned off will function as a Touch? Can someone still download aps, etc. with wifi?

Thanks!

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    If you do anything but renew your contract you give up unlimited data

Yikes! Really? I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I feel fortunate that I have the grandfathered data dealy. Do you guys find that the data plans offered for new people would work, or is it best to stick with unlimited? I think I use quite a bit of data, but I am unsure.

If you call AT&T they can easily tell you what your monthly data usage is. I recently called and was surprised that my usage wasn't higher.

]

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I just inherited my husband's older iPhone (he got the new one), and we were able to transfer our numbers over easily. I did have to upgrade my data plan, but then we were able to bundle messaging for our 3 lines and it didn't affect our monthly payments too much. I'd just call them and see what they can do for you. The ATT&T rep working at the Apple store yesterday was very helpful, even in the midst of all the chaos!
    A signature should go here.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    I just inherited my husband's older iPhone (he got the new one), and we were able to transfer our numbers over easily. I did have to upgrade my data plan, but then we were able to bundle messaging for our 3 lines and it didn't affect our monthly payments too much. I'd just call them and see what they can do for you. The ATT&T rep working at the Apple store yesterday was very helpful, even in the midst of all the chaos!

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure how it would work. So do you guys share the same pot of minutes? They don't care which number goes where? So I could buy a new iPhone, take my old number to the new phone, and have my old phone get a new number and data plan for my Mom? I think that's right? Maybe.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Sounds about right, overall. I don't have an iPhone (some day...) but hubby and I share minutes on our plan with our BlackBerrys. You have a monthly 'allowance' of minutes for the account, and whatever each phone uses comes out of that total.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Yep!
    A signature should go here.

• Pilot EdForceOne

First...

Your old phone. Sell it. Because it's a phone w/o buying a contract you are actually selling competitively not against a $299 phone, but a $500+ phone. I'm told people will pay you $250-$400 for the phone based on the condition... there are brokers who will buy it basically no questions asked.

Data Plan.. as long as you keep the data plan the same, you are still grandfathered. You can change your voice plan all you want without affecting this. Data plans are not shared and aren't attached to the voice plan. So if you are on an individual line, and want to convert it to a family plan, etc.. you can without impacting your data plan. However, any new data plans you start will not be the same and will be the new plans.

You can get the ATT website to generate a report on your data usage as well as monitor it on your phone.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

www.gazelle.com is an electronics recycling/buying service. Just for fun, i punched in my 8gb 3G iphone to see how much they'd pay. They're offering $94 for it. I'm sure you could get more than that to a normal joe.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

trade it in for a gift card at bestbuytradein.com

• That Guy

Thanks so much for all the great tips, I really appreciate them.

I would prefer that if I sell it, not to sell it to someone I know, it'd be better to sell it to a third party. I would just worry that if I sold it to someone at work, and it breaks, I would feel responsible for the problem, etc.

I will check the links, thanks for the tips. I'm curious to see the best buy option, they have such a horrific return/customer service/all around crap buying experience.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    www.gazelle.com is an electronics recycling/buying service. Just for fun, i punched in my 8gb 3G iphone to see how much they'd pay. They're offering $94 for it. I'm sure you could get more than that to a normal joe.
    I put in my 32gb 3GS just to see and they'd pay $202 for it.

Yeah not giving up my "baby" since I'm quite content with it. Got iOS4 running on it now, which is quite nice. Still need to move around my app icons and maybe make a few folders, but so far I like it quite a bit. Love we can have custom wallpaper now instead of a plain black background.'

Maybe next year I'll upgrade depending on what the next iPhone has to offer.