Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

New Laptop Needed ASAP....

My laptop has slowly been dying a painful death. I just discovered that the cord isfryaing, exposed wires,etc. Tried to fix it but unless its a certain way, it won't hold a charge. And the battery lasts about 30 mins.

Sooooo... instead of a camera I will be getting a laptop. Very very soon.

I'm looking for suggestions... PC, not mac. i want one that has great wireless internet. Fast processor, good memory, etc. I mostly play games and the Internet.

i'm not sure on price? I bought this one a few years ago on sale so IDK what the price ranges are.

TY for any help!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Down Pluto!

Re: New Laptop Needed ASAP....

>Sigh<

What are you going to use it for?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Um, what is the sigh for?

I said games and the Internet, mostly.

You're not required to help if you don't want to?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• I'm not really here

This is a very good laptop at a very good price: Newegg.com - HP Pavilion DV7-4060US NoteBook AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830&#40;2.1GHz&#41; 17.3&#34; 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

I prefer AMD chips to Intel as AMD run faster and cooler prolonging life. Upgradeable to 8GB ram from the 4 it comes with. Win7 is very stable and quite fast. If you want, other versions of this laptop include a bluray drive. It has a full keyboard (including 10-key).

I recommend searching on BestBuy and NewEgg for laptops that meet your required specs (high ram, good sized hdd, nice crisp monitor, etc) and then compare prices.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Water rides are evil.

Depending on what you are looking for size wise, the new Alienware 11" notebook looks very nice.

Alienware Landing

I have an Alienware and love it. Especially when it comes to the gaming side of things. Because of the gaming setup it works great for my graphic intensive applications and the business apps fly. I've always had great service when I have had to call tech support, but I am a business customer, so I don't know if that makes the difference.

I have also not had to deal with them much since the Dell acquisition. It was not something I was overly excited about since I'm not big on Dell.

All of that being said, your best bet is to decide how much money you want to spend, and then go out and buy the best system you can for that money. If you don't know how much you want to spend before you go, you can easily get into a very expensive system that you don't really need.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Um, what is the sigh for?

I said games and the Internet, mostly.

You're not required to help if you don't want to?
    I've answered this question given statements like "games and the internet, mostly", only to find that the real pinpointing of the recommendation lay in the needs in the non-mostly area. The devil is not in the "mostly".

Having very specific needs for custom software or applications, or specific hardware that is used - even if only used once a year, will make a big difference in the recommendation. Face it - ANY current laptop will meet the "games and the internet, mostly" requirement.

I was attempting to be helpful by extracting the really key information for a recommendation - the kind of information so many people don't think of as important until after a recommendation and purchase is made. Thus the reason for my >sigh<. Specific recommendations require specific requirement statements. If absolutely ALL you do is "games and the internet" then ANY modern laptop will work.

I am feeling your "You're not required to help if you don't want to" statement - without understanding why in the world anyone would ask for more information to help you make a decision - indicates you may have only wanted a generic answer and I was not being helpful in a way you needed. So...buy an Alienware if you can afford it, otherwise Toshiba's are good. Myself and friends have been having not-so-good luck with HP's. The wireless and motherboards fail way too frequently.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• hi!

+1 on avoiding HP's at all cost.. they may look fun and dandy with all their bells and whistles, but like Sambo said, there are so many manufacturing defects that go wrong with their mobo's it's sad. i, myself, was a victim to such a failing mobo. what pisses me off is that HP doesn't own up to their own defects.

"games and internet" sound almost as hardware demanding as simple word processing.. you might even be fine with those horrid Netbooks.

but, if you mean games as in high quality video games, then i'd look for a laptop with a dedicated video card and a lot of RAM to boot. i didn't look at the links provided above, but if they provide customization, i'd up my video card and ram. a lot of integrated vid cards are simply litter box material.
    -plagued

• MC, this is LD

+2 against HP. I had an laptop from them once. Big mistake. About a year ago, it's screen/graphics card started to fail. It started out with just one or two lines occasionally running through the top portion of the screen; now the entire screen is populated by the lines and stretched out areas from the bottom few rows of pixels on the screen.

Meh, personally, I'm not against Netbooks. (although I'm biased because I'm typing on one right now. ) Just don't expect performance like you would see on a desktop or Alienware laptop.

My 2

--KAN

• hi!

my HP (tx1000z) was awesome at first.. it had a screen that would swivel and then turn it into a tablet.. but then, my wireless cut out one day. upon further research, i found out it was caused by a failing mobo. online reports said the next thing to go was my vid card.. and sure enough.. it goes kaput. so now i was left with a laptop that 1) needed an external wireless adapter (what is this the 90s?!) and 2) could only display 640x480 on my widescreen. -_-

needless to say i bought a new laptop soon after.

my dad's HP netbook had a design flaw as well.. the hinges for the screen broke exposing wires.. since it was under warranty, HP fixed it free of charge... but then when he got it back, the same problem started popping up.. it still works, but he cant close the netbook because the next time he opens it, the screen might fall off..

i apologize, i seem to have derailed the thread a little bit with this post.. but to make it relevant.. DONT GET AN HP!
    -plagued

• no flash photography...

My HP is great, but I've had it for a while now. I have heard hp have gone down hill recently. I would not purchase another one.

• I'm not really here

When someone says they game on their laptop it usually means fairly intensive games that take lots of ram, video cards, fast processors. They are MUCH more than simple word processing would ever use.

Thanks for the news on HP failures. For some bizarre reason, I have not heard of or come across that before.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info.
    Games are just regular Web type games, not too too heavy. I use OpenOffice once in awhile to update my resume. I might use Photoshop once in awhile too. Mostly it's just the Internet. I do watch Hulu about every day as i'm browsing other sites, if that make a difference. I'll probably watch some movies, too, since my DVD drive will actually work (On my current laptop it is totally unconnected)

I am looking at HP and Toshiba now. I know quite a few people who have had HP laptops for a long time and love them, but I will def. look into more recent issues.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    When someone says they game on their laptop it usually means fairly intensive games that take lots of ram, video cards, fast processors. They are MUCH more than simple word processing would ever use.
    I don't know any serious gamer who would use a lap top. I took playing games on a lap top to mean internet type games not call to duty type games.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I don't know any serious gamer who would use a lap top. I took playing games on a lap top to mean internet type games not call to duty type games.
    Yup, I mean games like Diner Dash, Bejewled, those hidden object type games... I mostly play them @ the end of the day after I've been on the Internet a bit. Nothing huge and immersive.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Water rides are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    There are quite a few. They use Alienware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast