Thread: FAT32 or NTFS?

FAT32 or NTFS?

I'm getting a new external drive sometime this week and I wanted to know whether or not I should reformat it to NTFS or leave it at FAT32. I'm using it to store media (music, pictures, and movies). Possibly 1% of the drive will be used for miscellaneous things that I need to back up. I heard that NTFS is generally better, but that there might be some disadvantages (like not being able to read the drive on other computers). I have Windows 7 btw.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• Water rides are evil.

Re: FAT32 or NTFS?

FAT 32 if you're going to use it on any non-windows computer. It just makes life easier. Other systems can read and sometimes write to NTFS but it can be an iffy proposition.

NTFS if you're going to use it only on Windows computers (assuming after 98).

• I'm not really here

What TTechGuy said.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

thanks for the advice!

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• Senior Minion

NTFS allows you to set up larger partitions; and it's a bit more reliable in terms of potential issues with the file system, as it makes more copies of the allocation table.

FAT 32 will start to slow way down after a couple of hundred GB.