• Banned User

Apple's Safari web browser sucks.

Ok, even though I love my Apple's MAC, Apple's Safari web browser sucks. I went back to Firefox. So, for those who want to save time on your Safari bookmarks & transfer them to Firefox in less then a minute --> Here's a great tip:

Go to Safari and open the bookmarks.
    Go to File and choose, Export Bookmarks. Select a place to put the file....
    Go to FireFox and open the bookmarks
    Go to File and choose, Import Bookmarks.
    Choose "From file" and when prompted, navigate to the place where you stored the export file.
    Choose it. Your Done!

Re: Apple's Safari web browser sucks.

I love MacBooks, but I agree that Safari is less than perfect. I also recommend Firefox

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I recently purchased a Mac, and have yet to see the difference between Safari, and Firefox. I'll have to check that out.

• Disney Fan & Musician

I LOVE Safari. It renders text perfectly. It also has the most support for html5 out there at the moment. Technically, the most advanced web browser.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Water rides are evil.

LOL. Ok, all browsers render text perfectly. Unless they aren't rendering text at all. Usually the issue is in rendering space and color.

As for HTML 5, that's really a bit of a red herring since HTML 5 isn't even a standard yet. The first hearing for "candidate recommendations" is set for 2012. It can change a lot in that time period which is part of the reason most of the browsers are moving slowly to implement it. Apple is trying to push their browser out the door with it because Jobs has an issue with Adobe having such a huge part of the web and he wants to be able to get around the majority of their product with an, as yet, unset new standard.

When it comes down to it, use the browser that you like or that works best for you. Personally I will more than likely never touch Safari because Apple tried to push it out to me as an update to itunes.

Google Chrome for Mac isn't bad either.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I use Safari for Windows on my PC laptop and I like it fine. Firefox has gotten a little too bogged down for my liking right now. We'll see how I like 4.0 when it comes out later this fall.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    I LOVE Safari. It renders text perfectly. It also has the most support for html5 out there at the moment. Technically, the most advanced web browser.
    Chrome 6 has more html5 support and come November Firefox 4 will smoke even Chrome. IE9 is shaping up to be a pretty good competitor in html5 support as well. The problem with Safari is that they claim html 5 standards compliance... except there isn't an HTML 5 standard yet. It won't be ratified by the W3C until 2013 at the earliest. Almost all of the HTML 5 in Safari is -webkit related meaning it will only work in a webkit browser. -webkit things are prototypical and experimental only and not guaranteed to work cross-browser. Firefox 3 had this with rounded borders as -moz-border-radius until 3.6 released and it became w3c standard as border-radius.

Safari does indeed render fonts much better, but then this is something Apple has always focused on.

In terms of security, Safari is worse even than IE. At last years Pwn2own competition, Safari fell to the hackers in a mere 10 seconds. This year it fell to a mere 5 lines of python scripting. IE 8 fell 2nd, followed by Firefox. Even Safari on the iPhone was cracked pretty quickly. The last man standing was Chrome which took hours to crack.

So for best HTML 5, Chrome
    Best security, Chrome
    Fastest javascript engine, Chrome (sunspider js test)
    Best CSS compliance, Chrome (Acid 3 test)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter